Thread: general terrain question

Default general terrain question

Is it possible to find some decent "cub" strips in 13 E. It seems that folks have a decent time finding spots in the mountains around the Talkeetna but I'm wondering about north of there. Just generally speaking not loooking for specific strips. PM is fine thanks in advance.

I have only hunted by 4Wheeler off the Denali Haighway and am not proficient enough off airport to really say. But I'm sure there are plenty of areas you could get a plane in. I will say some of the flat open looking areas on hilltops can be riddled with some large rocks under the grass, so evaluate carefully. A few ATV trails are wide, straight and flat enough I think they would be landable.

Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    I have only hunted by 4Wheeler off the Denali Haighway and am not proficient enough off airport to really say. But I'm sure there are plenty of areas you could get a plane in. I will say some of the flat open looking areas on hilltops can be riddled with some large rocks under the grass, so evaluate carefully. A few ATV trails are wide, straight and flat enough I think they would be landable.
    Thanks I'm going to go look around in a couple weeks but figured if I saved a little AV gas it would be worth putting out some feelers.

There is a flight seeing service along the Denali Highway. http://gracioushouselodge.com I've never stayed there or talked to the guys but maybe he'd share some info on better strips in the area there are a few Unverified strips along the highway on the sectional. There are some areas I'd love to explore beyond where I can get with the ATV back there.

Butch is a good guy. He also guides in the area and I don't think he would tell you where his landing strips are.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Butch is a good guy. He also guides in the area and I don't think he would tell you where his landing strips are.
    That makes sense but if I know the terrain south of the highway and west of the Sue lend it self to finding some then that's all I'm really after

Butch sold the Gracious House recently to IndyCzar and his family, see my other thread on this. It's a tragedy.

You probably could look up Butch in Cantwell.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem