Thread: Thoughts on Ruger GSR

Default Thoughts on Ruger GSR

Anybody have the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle? Been seriously looking at it for an all around carry gun. Not a huge fan of the 308 but with the bullets available now it will do.....looks like a tough little package, and that is something I have found lacking in todays crop of rifles.

Had one. Liked it a for the most part, took off the silly flash hider and put on a thread protector, mounted a scope in non-scout position, and it was a fun little rifle, but 16.5 was a bit short on the barrel. Sold it to a friend who liked it more than I did. That was before they started making the stainless version with the 18 inch barrel, which I think would be perfect as a scout rifle, truck gun, and/or general purpose. Trigger was actually not too bad, but on the flip side, the action was somewhat sloppy. Was recently thinking I might try another one and rebore it to 338 Federal.

I am way more fond of the Ruger MKII vs the newer Hawkeye. In blued and stainless the MKII action was very smooth. For a very short period of time they made the Ruger Frontier in blued and stainless, AND they made one in 338 Federal. I have a stainless Frontier in .243 with a 16.5" barrel and it is awesome to carry and it is a tack driver. I also have a Ruger Hawkeye Compact Laminate in stainless in .243 with a 16.5" barrel and it is also awesome to carry and it too is a tack driver, but man it is not a smooth action, it is rough and sloppy, and the matt finish is very hard to clean.

The GSR is great to shoot and tote around but I don't really like the magazine because that is the natural carry point for the rifle. I would suggest to Yukon254 to try a Ruger Hawkeye Compact Laminate. .223, .243, .308, and 7mm-08, OR keep an eye out for a Ruger Frontier.

Sobie2

I have one and like it. My only complaint is the 16.5 inch barrel. With the 3 inch flash suppressor it's 19.5 inches. I would rather have 3 more inches of barrel then the flash suppressor. I like the forward "scout scope" and have a 1.5-5x scope on it. I also like the ability to adjust the lop to 14.5 inches. The only other thing I discovered is the floor plates on the mags come apart under recoil, had to tape them to keep them in one piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The comments so far about the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle have been spot on.

I have the GSR and have always been interested in the concept of a scout rifle. I mounted an IER Leupold FX-II 2.5 X in the forward position. The rifle is fairly accurate, strong, compact, and has a 3 position safety with a Mauser like bolt, which I like. The rifle is also pretty handy and fun to shoot, and packs a .308 punch.

But it also has a few quirks...

My barrel is too short at 16 ins. 18 or 20 ins. would be nice.

Out of the box, working the bolt was a rough surprise. After several hundred rounds downrange, the bolt is now much smoother.

Ruger's proprietary 10 round box magazine (metal mag) is spendy and loading it as a single stack takes getting used to. The plastic version is cheaper. I only wished Ruger had gone with a standard M14/M1A magazine system with all the cheap surplus mags out there.

The front iron sight blade is also a bit too wide for my tastes. I can also take or leave the flash suppressor.

All in all, the GSR is a fun rifle to shoot, and accurate enough to keep my interest.

I understand there is a 5.56 version of the GSR available. Anybody have this one?

Thanks guys, Im left handed so need a lefty version, and wouldn't want anything smaller than 308 with the bear population as high as it is. I wish they chambered it in 338 federal. I have a Tikka T3 in that caliber and love it....its just not a tough rifle for hard use, and the GSR looks like it would be.

I would trust the GSR to stand up to a lot of use and keep functioning--would have no hesitation in using it for your purpose.

Have you considered a Browning BLR in 338 fed or 358 win? Not quite as rugged but still tough and trustworthy and the lever would negate the righty-lefty issue.

Forager, I did have a BLR in 358 and would never own another one. About half the time it would fail to fire. Many others have had the same problem, some members on here included.

Good to know. I had one in .308 and had no problems with it, just didn't like having to pop out a magazine to load it in the field.