Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Garden, 2016

Default Alaska Garden, 2016

Getting lots of lettuce, spinach, radishes & onion from the garden now
    Add Cucs form the GH, some delicious salads
    DSCF6851.jpg

Zucs doing well, got them pollenated so should be eating some fried, baked Zucchini soon
    DSCF6856.JPG

EG tomatoes in the garden have some nice fruit hanging.

Default More 2016 AK garden pics

Zuc plants growing & producing now.
    DSCF6853.jpg

Early Girl toms in the garden:
    DSCF6854.jpg

Default Zucs growing

Nice sized Plants with lots of zucs growing

DSCF6910.jpgDSCF6911.jpg

Default Beets & carrots

Thinned the beets & carrots, some water & Alaska sunshine.
    growing good this year

DSCF6915.jpgDSCF6914.jpg

Your beets look great, I lost a few to cutworms. I harvested the primary heads off all our broccoli, steamed and froze them. The secondary heads are looking almost good enough to harvest as well. We harvested and baked the first zucchini I ever grew. The next one we are going to try fried. Got some Stupice and 4 July starting to change colors. Strawberries starting to produce but it's difficult getting to them before the birds and wasps.

Got a good drenching of much needed rain here
    Everything should get a big growing turbo-boost now

The zuc blooms I got from you, worked, will be making zucchini bread with them soon.
    getting several males blooms now, have several pollenated females.

Spraying 50/50 distilled vinegar/water on the slugs, helps keeping their numbers down before they lay eggs.

Have some seedlings of lettuce started, thinking it's time for the 2nd crop of radishes too.

I've never had good luck with a 2nd planting of radishes. They always bolt on me. Maybe I should experiment with different varieties

One of my Zucchini plants has shifted into high gear.. 2 zucchini plants might be more than the 2 of us can keep up with. And Finally…. I have blossoms on one of my Sweet Success cukes. If I learned anything from pushing for an early start with these cukes, it just can't be done without good heating system.. Next year I'm going for the week late start, rather than the week early…!

I haven't found any slugs in my garden (yet) but keep my squirt bottle loaded. My green cabbages are starting to head up nicely. We made Sourkraut last year and it was surprisingly quite good. looking forward to making a lot more this year. sauerkraut and those spicy reindeer sausages Herb in at AK sausage makes go together quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Getting lots of lettuce, spinach
    What variety of Spinach are you growing? Mine bolts immediately if I plant it before Solstace in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    What variety of Spinach are you growing? Mine bolts immediately if I plant it before Solstace in Anchorage.
    Which one do you plant afterwards? We had great spinach production early on, but it bolted pretty quickly. Still tasty, but we were thinking about pulling all of it and doing a 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Which one do you plant afterwards? We had great spinach production early on, but it bolted pretty quickly. Still tasty, but we were thinking about pulling all of it and doing a 2nd round.
    I'm growing Flamingo, which is an Asian style spinach from Stokes. But, I am not especially happy with it. Even in July it bolts, just not as fast. I'm not happy with it until August. I have a huge bag of the seeds, so I keep forgetting to order different varieties for trial.

Good to know that you have better luck in August. I've never tried a second round so late, but maybe we'll give it a shot this time.

Spinach: Bloomberg long standing, I think
    Yea, it bolts on me too, but still tastes OK
    high nitrogen soil for big leaves.

My Broccoli wants to bolt this year. Nice big healthy plants but the heads didn't grow thick they just shot up the middle like a flower....ugh.

Default Cucs & Zucs

getting more & more Zucs, pollenate a few every day.
    Thoroughly " Hand pollenating " them seems to help them to grow long & even.

GH cucs doing well too
    couple ripe "4th July" toms, small but good (had a couple Early girls too)

DSCF6924.jpg

I've tried a couple kinds of spinach the last couple years. This year I tried New Zealand spinach, it is slow growing and does not bolt. The seeds are about a 1/4 the size of a dime, hard, and pointy. I directly sowed some in early May and tried sprouting others a few weeks later, some of the ones I tried to sprout didn't sprout in the house but I still planted them just to see what would happen, even after 1-2 weeks without sprouting and another 1-2 weeks in dirt they are just now sprouting in soil. Some are in the greenhouse and some are in raised beds outside. I am just now starting to begin harvesting from the raised beds, this is a welcome surprise from my last few attempts at spinach which bolted right away and did not produce. Even if it is taking longer than I want, I hope I will be thick with spinach for a few months, and with any luck until the end of September or maybe into October if what I hear about New Zealand spinach holds true.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    I'm growing Flamingo, which is an Asian style spinach from Stokes. But, I am not especially happy with it. Even in July it bolts, just not as fast. I'm not happy with it until August. I have a huge bag of the seeds, so I keep forgetting to order different varieties for trial.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    getting more & more Zucs, pollenate a few every day.
    Thoroughly " Hand pollenating " them seems to help them to grow long & even.

GH cucs doing well too
    couple ripe "4th July" toms, small but good (had a couple Early girls too)

DSCF6924.jpg
    I started off hand pollenating my zucs, because I was anxious to grow them for the 1st time.. However, those 2 plants in that old tire are doing extremely well, and the 2 of us are not going to be able to keep up. So I let them do their own pollenating…

That Red Leaf Lettuce went ballistic. I picked about a bushel and gave it to the kids. We have 2 or 3 heads of romaine that need to be harvested. The cutworms got all but one of my Pak Choi plants, so every couple days I pick a couple of the outside leaves to add to the salad./

The 2nd batch of radishes bolted so I've about given up on growing a 2nd batch, but Some of the other varieties mentioned above I'm thinking of trying..

I always plant at least 2 varieties of peas. This year I went with "Early Frosty" and "freezonian" from Denali Seeds. The Early Frosty produces 2 pods to each stem where as the Freezonian only produces one pod per stem.. The Freezonian will grow to 7 or more feet tall, then fall over on the fencing I use for a trellis and is a real mess after that. The Early Frosty only grows to 4 ft which is nice for harvesting. Next year I'm going to find something with a smaller vine to replace the Freezonian.

I harvested all the primary heads off of our Broccoli back on the 30th of June. Yesterday, I had to harvest a bucket full of secondary or side heads. They were decent sized and starting to show yellow..

Grandkids are falling behind on their strawberry picking.. The results of that manure I dumped on the strawberry bed in Spring is starting to show real nicely.

Default Toms & cucs

GH Toms & cucs

DSCF6965.jpgDSCF6964.jpg

My Cauliflower bolted.. Had to pick heads about half the size we usually get
    Got enough side heads on the Broccoli to make a 4th cutting
    Pulled half the turnips and still have too many
    Getting about a quart of strawberries every other day
    getting 2 qts of raspberries every day if I bother to pick them.
    and it's pea picking time in the valley.

Default last tomatoes!

What a great summer to grow tomatoes outside! I've been doing this the last 3 or 4 years, learning a little more each year (quite a bit from reading on here). I put 3 early girls (starts bought from Lowes) each in a black-painted 5 gallon bucket up against the south side of my house. There's great all-day sun there and lots of heat, especially with such a warm and sunny spring.

I think my best lesson learned this year involved pruning the plants, trying to direct the plants energy into fruit and then, in particular, an extreme haircut at the end of the summer to help encourage the fruit to ripen. At first, I was afraid I over-pruned them but the plants stayed quite alive with just a few leaves remaining here and there, and the fruits that had been all green began to ripen on the plant.

I'd been picking red toms once or twice a week for the past month and just yesterday took all the remaining fruit off the plants. Another week on the plants would have been nice but I figured frost or wind was gonna ruin 'em soon if I didn't get them off. The first picture is the final harvest (only 2 green tomatoes left!!), and probably represented about a quarter of what I got off the plants all summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast