Thread: Upper Cook Inlet

Default Upper Cook Inlet

Has any of you av8er types been able to spot the sockeye coming into cook inlet? I've heard rumors that you can see them from a plane but it's always been second hand information. I'd like to know from someone that has seen it themselves if it's true... can anyone verify that a " dark cloud " of sockeye can be seen from the air?
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default sort of

You can see them in the clearer water ok but I doubt you could ever see them in cook inlet and I fly over it almost every day. Can't see them in the big rivers either such as susitna or yentna but as soon as they break into the same streams you would fish them in you can pick them out.

We can occasionally see them from the air here in Kachemak bay. There are places where the water is pretty clear if the tide is just right. Particularly in some of the smaller bays and lagoons that line the south side of the main bay.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    Has any of you av8er types been able to spot the sockeye coming into cook inlet? I've heard rumors that you can see them from a plane but it's always been second hand information. I'd like to know from someone that has seen it themselves if it's true... can anyone verify that a " dark cloud " of sockeye can be seen from the air?
    After thirty-five years of flying across, up, and down the Cook Inlet, I can say I've never, ever been able to spot salmon coming in. Don't forget that a B-29 was once lost in the inlet just off the end of the Elmendorf runway, but wasn't found for probably twenty years! I doubt that you can see the bottom of a teaspoon full of that silty stuff.

But, good luck with it!

Mort

The best indicator of salmon in the silty water is the presence of Beluga whales. Of course the absence of Belugas doesn't necessarily mean there aren't fish there. Occasionally you can see salmon schools surfacing on glassy days, but I wouldn't recommend flying low enough and slow enough to be looking for them like that.