Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock for Model 70 .338-06

Default Stock for Model 70 .338-06

Just sent my Winchester Model 70 stainless Ultimate Shadow off to JES for reboring, turning a .30-06 into a .338-06, and taking the barrel down to 22 inches. Planning to add open sights (likely NECG) when it returns in a couple of weeks, and am excited about the semi-custom build, should be a very nice multi-purpose rifle for under $1500 (will post pics when it's done).

I'd like to add a different stock, but the options are a bit limited. Bell & Carlson is the same stock as the Model 70 Extreme Weather, which I find a bit thick in the wrist for my taste, really like the slimness of the Ultimate Shadow stock. Would rather not spend the bucks on the McMillan, which would take the build up over $2000, and at that point I might as well have just gotten a Cooper...

This rifle will see a lot of use, so I'd like something that won't add significantly to the weight, and will make it relatively comfortable to shoot (338-06 shouldn't be too bad, but with heavier bullets might kick some).

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions?

If you're going to use it a lot, spend the money on the McMillan or Manners. It hurts, but buy once cry once.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    If you're going to use it a lot, spend the money on the McMillan or Manners. It hurts, but buy once cry once.
    Yup. I don't regret for one minute putting my 338-06 in a McMillan stock.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Check out www.grayboe.com I've got a new .338-06 on a rem 700 action and will use their Outlander stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou64 View Post
    Check out www.grayboe.com
    Thanks--looks like Grayboe only makes stocks for Remington 700, but I checked out their vendor, gunstox.com, and they have McMillan blems at significant discounts. Drop in McMillan for under $400, might be the way to go.

Anyone have experience of these McMillan blems, from gunstox.com or elsewhere?

I have a Confederate Grey Bansner's synthetic on my custom Mod. 70 .338 and could not be happier, it is about 20 oz. I have heard good things about the McMillian edge. Once the rifle is in your hands you will not regret spending the extra cash on a life time of quality.

Thanks guys.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...a#Post11269431

Ran across this on another page and seems like a decent deal if you don't mind a blind mag.

I have two Mcmillan's and don't regret buying either one. Life is too short to hunt with a rifle you're not happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by sep View Post
    Life is too short to hunt with a rifle you're not happy with.
    T shirt, bumper sticker, and email signature, right there.

Update:

~Talked to Jesse this morning, and for a variety of reasons changed the rebore to 35 Whelen rather than 338-06. 338-06 maybe next year...
    ~Ordered a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x which will be in a quick release setup.
    ~Calling my local gunsmith today to order NECG open sights, to be installed when I get the rifle back from JES.
    ~Ordered a Bell & Carlson stock just to use for now--will order a McMillan soon, but it'll take 6 months, so I may as well use the B&C for the time being and sell it when the McMillan arrives. (Decided not to go with the relatively inexpensive and immediately available McMillan liquidation stocks from gunstox.com, which are only available in black, and if I'm gonna get a McMillan, I want it to look how I want it to look.)

Getting closer...

Quote Originally Posted by Forager View Post
    Update:

~Talked to Jesse this morning, and for a variety of reasons changed the rebore to 35 Whelen rather than 338-06. 338-06 maybe next year...
    ~Ordered a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x which will be in a quick release setup.
    ~Calling my local gunsmith today to order NECG open sights, to be installed when I get the rifle back from JES.
    ~Ordered a Bell & Carlson stock just to use for now--will order a McMillan soon, but it'll take 6 months, so I may as well use the B&C for the time being and sell it when the McMillan arrives. (Decided not to go with the relatively inexpensive and immediately available McMillan liquidation stocks from gunstox.com, which are only available in black, and if I'm gonna get a McMillan, I want it to look how I want it to look.)

Getting closer...
    Who you using for a gunsmith?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Who you using for a gunsmith?
    JES in Oregon is doing the reboring.

Locally, I like Andy Hawk's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Forager View Post
    Anyone have thoughts/suggestions?
    Everyone's neck/shoulder/arm configuration is different. Some like straight combs w/ no drop at the heel. I like Monte Carlo style cheek pieces and lots of drop at the heel. A Wby Mk-5 style stock fits me very well.

I put a McMillian Winchester New Hunter pattern stock on my M70, which I rebarreled to 35 Whelen. I like it a lot. YMMV . . .

That's beautiful.

Kinda makes me glad I got the Bell & Carlson for the moment--will give me an opportunity to get a feel for the new rifle, decide what I want, then order a McMillan exactly how I want it (and presumably sell the B&C).

FullSizeRender 2.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

Update:

Just received the rifle from JES, really nice work on the cut and crown, all else looks good.

Popped it in the B&C stock, just need to boresight the scope and am ready to put a few rounds down range.

Waiting to have the iron sights added, want to shoot it for a bit and decide what will work (and how much I want to spend).

Look like she'll do.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

OK, now I'm thinking my stainless featherweight .270 might need to be rebored to .338-06...

Finished. Just in time for... next year.

The 'final' version: Winchester Model 70 in 35 Whelen, rebored/cut and cropped to 22 inches by JES. NECG sights and McMillan stock in midnight brown with Pachmayr Decelerator, bedded and installed by Andy Hawk. Talley Quick release rings, Leupold Vx3i 1.75-6x.

Haven't weighed it yet but seems to be around 7.5-8, light enough for all around, with enough weight to be comfortable.

Just needs a sling.

Heading to the range today...

FullSizeRender-1 copy.jpg

Give us an update on what ammo you use and how it shoots.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I have NECG irons on my custom Mod. 70 and they are good. But, I am replacing them with the pop up peep sight from Brockman's. It sits under the scope and pops up when the scope is removed. I shoot better with a peep sight then I do with regular iron sights. If you are not past the point of no return I would encourage you to look at that peep sight.

The NECG front sight is a barrel band with a Partridge insert that has a flat post with a brass face. I find centering the flat post top in the center of the "Ghost Ring" to be most accurate for my eyes and much prefer it to a bead front sight.

If I am not spring bear hunting or it is not the fall hunting season I prefer packing a rifle with a peep sight and no scope.

I like your scope choice. I sent the same scope to the Leupold Custom Shop and had their post/duplex reticle installed and it is good for my eyes, it is fast and shows up well in the brush and when the light fades, yet still precise enough for longer range critter shooting.

Just some thoughts from me. You heave a nice set up and congrats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast