Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet Boat Instruction

Default Jet Boat Instruction

Looking to see if I can shadow any experienced jet boat operators? Willing to pay for gas. Looking to purchase a jet boat in the near future and want to know how to handle it before I blow a whole bunch of money.

This thread needs more info, like where are you looking to go boating? Where in AK are you?

Sobie2

Live in the Anchorage area. looking to go boating on local rivers.

Start small work your way up..... eventually you will end up with a big IB...... I'm still working my way up......!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

You are more than welcome to come next time I go out, not sure what day that will be or what river, but it will give you a chance to get out on the rivers. We usually have several boats (different brands) together and that will give you an idea of how each brand handles and performs in the different water conditions.
    You will find out real quick, everyone's boat is the best, nobody's is better, Brand X is the only way to go! They are all different in their own way, some work better than others for one thing, some work better than others for all things, some don't work worth a crap for what you want. Just got to figure out what you are going to do with it for the next 10-15 years or longer.
    My recommendation is get in as many boats as you can, inboards and outboards and make a decision based on your wants, needs and finances. Also get what you want the first time or the options after the purchase will nickel and dime you to death and you will spend all your time adding things instead of enjoying the rivers.
    Shoot me a PM and we can coordinate a link-up.
    Mike

Edit:
    Forgot to add-- don't forget the dealer if buying new or looking for warranty work. Some really should be run out of business and there are a few that will go out of their way to help you as a customer long after the sale! Huge part of purchase in my book.

It's too bad there is no longer a Spring Riverboat Gathering. I learned so much going to the first one. It's so different when you can touch, ride in, and talk to owners.

Years ago I took a trip with Ron's Riverboat (no longer around). Ron said he thought about putting together a short class on jet boating for newbies. Never happened that I know of, but it sounded like a good idea. A little safety, basic "road rules", river reading, etc.

A couple of thoughts on $. It sounds so nice to say you'll pay for gas. I'm like that. I want to pay my share as much as I can and I'm really happy to cover someone's expenses when it helps me learn more about something I can't learn any other way. I think I offered gas $ for all the boats I rode in at the Spring RB Gathering I...if not I meant to. No one took the money. I sent in some $ to SRG II for the gas fund. Our schedules changed and we couldn't go, so I don't know how the gas fund worked out. Alaskans are as a whole pretty proud and generous. (There' also a bunch that'd "steal" your teeth fillings!) It's almost an insult to offer $ for something they want to share. Point #2 is there are (can be) legal questions on getting $ for taking someone out on a boat...the odds may be very low of LE trying to write a ticket for doing something wrong, but no one wants to be "that guy" that is the example of the year because someone complained he wasn't making a buck instead. God forbid something should go wrong, but if it should I think the boat owner who took no $ would be better off in court than the same boat owner that was running an "illegal money making business" because he accepted some gas $. It's a strange world we live in!

LeonardC, you are right on the money about the gatherings! They were a good time for all and incredibly helpful to folks looking at different jet boats. Maybe we as a jet boat community could start doing that again, just not as elaborate?
    I for one would be willing to help in any way I can.
    What I offered to scollatz82 is nothing more than a jet boat gathering of me and my buddies with different boats to come ride along and get an idea of what he likes, we have done this for at least half a dozen folks. Hell I got one buddy that invited some foreign tourist (that spoke very little English) that just happened to be at the launch, on a ride to Knik Glacier-- they had the time of their life. He is still in contact with them and that was over a year ago!
    Just part of being a good neighbor in my book. No money is ever excepted, and 99% of the time we have the extra gear for folks to ride along already in the boat.

Mike

You are right there are so many different boat options too choose from. Honestly I do not know which one to choose. I like the SJX and Phantoms but I really do not know much about them except for the information I received online. I also like the Hewes craft sportjets, but its like you said they are all different in their own way. Ill shoot you a PM and we can coordinate a link up.

Quote Originally Posted by scollatz82 View Post
    You are right there are so many different boat options too choose from. Honestly I do not know which one to choose. I like the SJX and Phantoms but I really do not know much about them except for the information I received online. I also like the Hewes craft sportjets, but its like you said they are all different in their own way. Ill shoot you a PM and we can coordinate a link up.

Just throwing in my 2 cents. Best thing is decide all what you want to use the boat for. I have the Hewes Craft Sport Jet. Little more versital than the SJX or Phantom. With the semi V it wont do as well in the shallower waters but will do better in the ocean. I have taken my boat up and down the Tannana River with no problems, Also down through the canyon in Chitna. We also have been out past Fildago bay in Valdez. Its Give and take. A V-8 jet boat will haul more weight and get on step better with weight, but the 200 Optimax is light and better on fuel. After spending time on the ocean I am ready to start looking for an ocean boat. Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fc8464 View Post
    A V-8 jet boat will haul more weight and get on step better with weight, but the 200 Optimax is light and better on fuel. After spending time on the ocean I am ready to start looking for an ocean boat. Fred
    Ill agree to the weight comment with a V8, but with the new technology in v8 motors and impellers for their jets i'm not so sure that the better fuel economy is a great argument anymore. It is true for big inboards with big blocks in them sure, but i dont think thats what he is looking for. Identical boats, one with a well setup jet and a new v8 and one with a sport jet get almost identical fuel economy. Right around 8-12gph, if your getting better than that you must drive around at 22-26 mpg where i believe a completely empty sport jet will get around 6gph.

Scollatz82, drive in what ever you can get your hands on before you buy, heck ill even join the party and you can take a cruise in mine if we all meet up somewhere. Im sure all the boats made with sport jets will leave you pretty dang happy, and from the sounds of it you should be able to test drive most of them here shortly.....even one with a V8!

Daniel;
    Thank you!
    Scollatz82-- you will like his boat, it is Sweet!!
    Mike

Daniel if you ever want to link up I am definitely game. I am really looking to get knowledgeable on jet boats and get advice from people who have been running rivers for a while before I buy one

Ditto on being interested in a jet boat get together. I bought my first Jet boat this winter (24' north River Commander, 8.1L inboard), and have had had it out on several of the lakes here on the peninsula and Kachemak bay a few times fishing. I've gotten more than my fair share of rough water experience with it, but alas no river experience yet. I'd be very interested in following some of you more experienced guys so as to learn as much as I can about reading the rivers and such.

-Chris

orion94us I would be interested to see how your North River handles on the river. From what I have seen they look like real awesome boats.

Quote Originally Posted by scollatz82 View Post
    orion94us I would be interested to see how your North River handles on the river. From what I have seen they look like real awesome boats.
    I'd be more than happy to show you the boat should this beginners river thing came to fruition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orion, you'll love the big Norf River on the rivers. My 21.5 Commander X with the 6.0ho carries a full load of camping and bear bait stuff and only takes another 150RPM to keep it on step. Can't even feel it's loaded. Your boat could haul a house and not know it! If you decide to come north, let me know. Maybe we can hit the Su and run that thing around a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Prybar View Post
    Orion, you'll love the big Norf River on the rivers. My 21.5 Commander X with the 6.0ho carries a full load of camping and bear bait stuff and only takes another 150RPM to keep it on step. Can't even feel it's loaded. Your boat could haul a house and not know it! If you decide to come north, let me know. Maybe we can hit the Su and run that thing around a bit.
    That's an offer that I will do my best to hold you to! I've got the 8.1 in mine, plenty of power, just have to be sure I preloaded the tank with plenty of dead dinosaur juice!! This is a picture my sons classmate took with his drone two weeks ago while they were home on leave. I took the family out on K bay for a day of halibut fishing. Weather was awesome and we slayed the fish! [IMG][/IMG] Right to Left are:Myself, The Wife, My son, sons Girlfriend, sons classmate (they go to westpoint together).

Nice boat! A son that goes to Westpoint is something to be proud of for sure! I'm pretty familiar with the bay there, my folks live in Homer and run a big (42') boat out of there. If you see or hear "Casper" on the radio that's her. Can't mis the big friendly ghost hovering over the water line at the bow. I've never had my boat out there since I have access to the big girl. Do you dunk and run your boat in the fresh to clean everything out when you are done in the salt? If so, where?

Actually I'm heading out there tonight for an overnight trip with some Army buddies. I have freshwater flush for my trailer brakes and I just crank the main over for just a second once she's out of the water. I wish there was easy access to a freshwater lake on the way back to the house so I could dunk her in.

Quote Originally Posted by Prybar View Post
    Nice boat! A son that goes to Westpoint is something to be proud of for sure! I'm pretty familiar with the bay there, my folks live in Homer and run a big (42') boat out of there. If you see or hear "Casper" on the radio that's her. Can't mis the big friendly ghost hovering over the water line at the bow. I've never had my boat out there since I have access to the big girl. Do you dunk and run your boat in the fresh to clean everything out when you are done in the salt? If so, where?
    And, I'll keep a lookout for the friendly ghost while we're out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast