Thread: Dang oil bath hubs

Default Dang oil bath hubs

Dual axle trailer, EZ Loader, not sure of model as I sit here but I think 3500 lb axles. I have one hub that continues to let a bit of saltwater in, just enough to turn the stuff milky. Have tried three new seals, new o-ring on the cap, new cap. Still the same. I'm told the stainless sleve on the spindle can get scared and you won't get a good seal. Makes sense to me. Have heard two different pieces of advice. The guys at Six Robbles recommend just packing that same hub with grease. Have been also told that it is not advisable to go that route.

I'm tired of trailer hubs.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

If axle is sleeved, any reason you cant replace the sleeve...?

I doubt the bearings will care if they are lubed by grease or oil, as long as its nit saltwater...
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Try the filler hole plug. It looks like a regular allen head set screw, BUT IT IS NOT!!!! Its pipe thread. Made me nuts with the same problem.

I know of a company that thought it would be better to grease pack oil sealed hubs and they had nothing but issues. Now these were heavy vehicles and they thought they could save money but failure rates on this change started to soar. To the point the company pulled all the vehicles in, changed the bearings and went back to oil bath. All the bearings were hand packed with grease before install. The issues started with the vehicles that spent alot of time on the highway.

So not sure if it would be a good change.

Default Dang oil bath hubs

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Dual axle trailer, EZ Loader, not sure of model as I sit here but I think 3500 lb axles. I have one hub that continues to let a bit of saltwater in, just enough to turn the stuff milky. Have tried three new seals, new o-ring on the cap, new cap. Still the same. I'm told the stainless sleve on the spindle can get scared and you won't get a good seal. Makes sense to me. Have heard two different pieces of advice. The guys at Six Robbles recommend just packing that same hub with grease. Have been also told that it is not advisable to go that route.

I'm tired of trailer hubs.
    It spindle is scared then you have two choices replace the spindle or pack them full of grease. You won't put enuff miles in a season see any difference packed full of grease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I see mine get milky too.
    I though it was because they are warm when going into cold water & pull a little water in.

A bit of a PIA, but my bearing always look good.
    I change mid season & as a winterization step.

Been thinking about using thicker oil to see if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    I see mine get milky too.
    I though it was because they are warm when going into cold water & pull a little water in.

A bit of a PIA, but my bearing always look good.
    I change mid season & as a winterization step.

Been thinking about using thicker oil to see if that helps

Here is some of the thickest stuff I know for gear cases.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=SRTQT-EA

Let me know if you want to get some.

On Edit: Could run straight Lucas........I do in my chain cases on my sleds

I was dealing with a scared spindle a few years ago. Gave these folks a shot at a solution..http://www.airtighthubs.com and that spindle is still holding pressure today. He seals the seal and cap with what basically amounts to green loctite. Has worked well for me with multiple dunkings.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle Builder View Post
    I was dealing with a scared spindle a few years ago. Gave these folks a shot at a solution..http://www.airtighthubs.com and that spindle is still holding pressure today. He seals the seal and cap with what basically amounts to green loctite. Has worked well for me with multiple dunkings.
    Thanks for the tip! Pretty inexpensive too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Here is some of the thickest stuff I know for gear cases.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=SRTQT-EA

Let me know if you want to get some.

On Edit: Could run straight Lucas........I do in my chain cases on my sleds
    Was wondering if straight STP would work .

Looks like EZ makes several sleeves for oil bath hubs
    http://estore.ezloader.com/product.a...8&1=225&3=3913

One is 2.12" and the other is 1.69", I really like the oil bath hubs on my single axle EZ, Its 8 years old and changed the fluid once when it was 2 years old. I have worn out several sets of tires dragging that thing to the Yukon, Homer, Chitina, Northway & several points in between.

I have yet to have any water in the hub or loss of oil, they never get hot, its quick to verify lube is on the inside and no fooling around with grease guns at the landing. I would like to put them on all my trailers................... I hope I havent cursed myself......

Just dont buy tires from 6 Robbers
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post

Just dont buy tires from 6 Robbers
    I just answered a PM on this and I shouldn't disparage 6 Robblees, I bought wheels that came with tires, the tires were cheap and they did not last. I didnt buy the wheels for the tires, so I shouldn't complain. The wheels are great.

6 R in Fairbanks does a good job and always helpful, just would not recommend buying trailer tires there.

Hey T-warrior, did you get your trailer spindle/hub fixed?
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I just answered a PM on this and I shouldn't disparage 6 Robblees, I bought wheels that came with tires, the tires were cheap and they did not last. I didnt buy the wheels for the tires, so I shouldn't complain. The wheels are great.

6 R in Fairbanks does a good job and always helpful, just would not recommend buying trailer tires there.

Hey T-warrior, did you get your trailer spindle/hub fixed?
    Not yet, been out of town since I posted this. Taking the old one off tonight and taking in to 6 Robbles to see if I can match it up with one they have on the shelf. Going to polish up that spindle real good to make sure I get a good smooth surface for the seal. My plan is to get a brand new setup on, and use the old as a spare. Thanks for all the help everyone.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Something to think about here is that you will have the same water intrusion problem with grease in the hubs as with the oil, you just won't be able to see it as well. I like the fact my Reliable brand oil bath hubs on my EZ Loader show me there is a problem so easily and its honestly pretty easy to drain the old oil and re-fill with new. Of course, you shouldn't have to do it every trip! Also, I use lower unit gear oil in mine. It's supposed to have better anti-corrosion properties than regular gear oil and it's easy to fill the hubs with the little nozzle on the tube. I carry a spare tube of it anyway for the kicker just in case and works in the hubs too.

I don't believe Six Robblees have any identical replacement (Reliable brand oil bath hubs). In fact, EZ Loader told me the other day that Reliable no longer makes the hub/rotor setup with the oil bath, or maybe at least just not the kind with the threaded hub so that you can screw in the cap you already have. I'm going to need all new rotors and looks like I'll have to do something besides replacing the Reliable brand that I now have with the exact same thing. If you DO find someplace that has the Reliable brand oil bath hubs (mine have the six lugs), please let me know.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Prybar View Post
    Something to think about here is that you will have the same water intrusion problem with grease in the hubs as with the oil, you just won't be able to see it as well. I like the fact my Reliable brand oil bath hubs on my EZ Loader show me there is a problem so easily and its honestly pretty easy to drain the old oil and re-fill with new. Of course, you shouldn't have to do it every trip! Also, I use lower unit gear oil in mine. It's supposed to have better anti-corrosion properties than regular gear oil and it's easy to fill the hubs with the little nozzle on the tube. I carry a spare tube of it anyway for the kicker just in case and works in the hubs too.
    Just wanted to second this. I use a marine type gearbox oil in my reliable hubs(ez loader) and it seems to work well. I also have one hub that gets milky real quick but I'm not tearing into it as long as it's otherwise healthy. I just carry the allen wrench and some oil. 5 minute job to drain and fill the one problem hub before/during any longer trip.

Last year I replaced one axel that had hydraulic brakes and replaced with electric hubs. (Hydraulic hubs were locking up after setting) When I replaced the brakes I then packed with grease and put a little oil back in have not had a problem since with the breaks and have not seen any milk in the site glass.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I have a 2015 EZ loader trailer 12000# triple axle hauling my 2015 2825 Kingfisher. The very first time I dipped it in the water 2 of the 6 hubs got milky. I contacted EZ loader and after a couple months was able to get it in for repair. After repair (complete replacement of all seals) 5 of 6 leaked. Contacted EZ loader and they had the hubs resleeved and new seals. Still 4 of the 6 are leaking. I have tried to work with EZ loader on this but the last communication they gave me was this was normal because the oil has a bit of water in it naturally. I told them I can see a water/oil interface in the hub and that in Alaska that will freeze and bust the bearings. Secondly refined oil (any motor oil) does not have that content water to emulsify on its own.
    I'm curios to find out if other brands of trailers have this same issue or is this an EZ loader issue? I have not been impressed with the EZ loader brand thus far. All my lights on the port side went out. When they were looked at the lights were crimped with open ended crimps allowing water to get into any electrical connection. When I asked them about that issue they said that was the normal manufacturing process. they paid for new wiring and lights but would only pay their shop rate on labor and I had to pay the difference. This is a 2015 trailer!!!

There are a lot of EZ loaders out there because of price, they are not bad trailers, but there are better ones. They are a bolt together trailer so dealers like that aspect I suspect. And it seems like they are almost always under sized. I have a EZ that came with Reliable oil bath hubs, the trailer is a bout 10 years old and I have not a single issue with the hubs.... they are the best part on the trailer. I changed the lube once when it was a year or two old and havent added oil or adjusted the bearings. It dont see so many miles lately, but one year I think I dragged it around enough to wear out a set of tires ~ 3000 miles.. Maybe try some other hubs...
    TR