Thread: Sheep Hunting pants ??

Default Sheep Hunting pants ??

What are your best goto sheep hunting pants? Let's talk about coats too while we are at it.

I have a pair of fjallraven Keb Trousers that I just don't think are going to work out for me so I am looking at another pair of pants - and they need to be rain pants.

I have helly Hansen impertech guide coat that I was planning on using and taking with me. I know that if we are climbing that I won't be able to wear this much due to getting wetter on the inside than the outside.....If it is raining hard the impertech's can't be beat IMO.

I also have a rivers west coat and I have taken it sheep hunting a couple times. It is good when it is cold and snowy and raining but too heavy to wear when hiking and it weighs a pile.

My uncle has gone to cabelas space rain coat and MT50 quite pants - he has worn them some biking in the rain and says he loves them. They are light and quiet....but they feel a bit flimsy to me.

The hunt is Aug 17th - 27th Alaska Range.

Love my Kuiu attack pants, though lately I've been hiking in a pair of Stoic pants that I like just as well. I don't know the model on those - got them off of steapandcheap a few years back.

Brian - do you bring another set of rain pants with you too?

I tried many and seem to always find myself going back to my Kuiu Attacks pants,,

For non camo

511,, Traverse Pants, these are one of the few synthetic pants they make.

http://www.511tactical.com/traverse-pant.html

Arbor Wear,, Ascender Pants. These are freaking awesome, made for tree climbers, very tough, stretch in the right places, they had a coating on the knees.

https://www.arborwear.com/products/pants/ascender-pants

I ran these for a complete season,, nice, but I like a back pocket.

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx...=Gamma-MX-Pant
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve - do you bring rain pants in addition to the Kuiu Attack pants ?

I am looking at the Kryptec Poseidon rain pant - - Ideally, I'd like a pant that I can wear for the whole hunt, and not have to bring 2 pairs. I will bring a pair of winter underwear along for layering on the legs if it gets cold and snowy. The impertech guide rain coat comes down to my knees and I'll have gators on in addition. not much left to get wet, but I can't wear the rubber if hiking hard.

Yes, I also bring the Kuiu Chugach rain gear. Breathable or not, when it hits 70+ on a sheep hunt, I don't want to be wearing something that blocks rain. The extra ounces are worth it to me.

My last sheep hunt in the brooks solo, i only had my rivers west pants. I went on a day hike out of camp and it got plumb jot out. I was soaking wet. I took off the raingear and wore my skivies back to camp. I figured i would run into someone for sure, but never did that day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Steve - do you bring rain pants in addition to the Kuiu Attack pants ?
    Yea,, I'm a believer in the Kuiu Chugach rain gear. I have worn it for extended periods and can't say how much I like it and believe me I have tried about all of it.

Pants are worth the weight for me because I'm a pocket guy, my pants pockets are alway full of something. Most rain pants don't have much for pockets.

One of my favorites is a wind shirt, there are many on the market. I'm currently using a Patagoia Houdini, I wear this to hike in with no shirts under it, blocks the wind and does not soak up water or sweat. When I get to where I'm going to stop for a while, I remove it, shake off the water, dry myself off and put of a dry layer. When I get ready to hike again and change back into the wind shirt and keep my shirt dry. 4 ozs for the Houdini and that is much less than one sweaty shirt.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Bullelkklr, have you checked out First Lite corrugate guide pant? I used them last year for a sheep hunt and liked them.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I have not checked out the first lite, but i will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuiu Attacks for me as well and Chugach for rain gear. I bought the Kuiu ultra light rain gear last winter, but I have yet to use it so I can't say how well it works.

Kuiu attack pants, chugach rain gear. I got a pair of the kuiu alpine pants this year. They feel a slightly lighter attack pant with built in knee pads. So far so good. Sheep hunting next month should test em out.

KUIU attacks for me as well. They're more comfortable than Pajama pants! And for rain gear I go a little heavier and use the KUIU Yukon jacket and pants. I tend to be a little careless when it comes to brush busting and to have gear that can handle whatever I throw at it is very comforting when a guy gets stuck in a driving rain 10+ miles back in there.

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

Time is running out. I just ordered the Kuiu Attack in Vias and Kryptek Poseidon. Thanks for everyone's input.

The Kuiu Attacks are very comfortable - loved them. The Kryptek Poseidon's were exactly what I expected and worked great also.