Thread: Grayling and hot weather?

Default Grayling and hot weather?

Ok so Friday night (June 17). we went up the Chena to one of our favorite spots, got out and started fishing. nothing... fished almost every fly in my box (Stone fly's, Pheasant tails, copper johns, Gnats, other dries, woolly buggers, smolt) could not catch a fish. well we then found a small fork in the river that was moving slower and shallower, we could see some grayling laying in it around some logs and under trees. fishing was pretty good, those guys took what ever we threw at them, biggest fish was pushing 16".

I guess I'm wondering what other peoples experiences are with the river on these hot days? do you see the fish exit the main river channels and find shade elsewhere? I figured they would be deep in holes but the deep holes didn't produce for us.

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    I guess I'm wondering what other peoples experiences are with the river on these hot days? do you see the fish exit the main river channels and find shade elsewhere? I figured they would be deep in holes but the deep holes didn't produce for us.
    I haven't found that to be necessarily the case. For whatever it's worth, while the water was still quite high and dirty last week I was catching both just off the bottom and, believe it or not (I was surprised!) on dries, at two completely different spots, both on the main stem of the upper river.

I haven't noticed that shade makes that much difference, although I could easily have missed it. I have found quite large fish in shallow, relatively exposed spots on hot, sunny days. I tend to think they'll be wherever the food is.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

hmm.... I never really thought about it either, it was just weird to not catch fish in these holes, oh well I'll have to see if I can't catch some more this weekend!