Thread: Sawdust in the garden?

Default Sawdust in the garden?

Is there a good use for sawdust in the garden? As fertilizer or to help with weeds between rows? We looked it up on the net & it says no way! That it leaches nuttients from th soil & hurts/ kills the garden. I haven't seen this happen in other gardens. Any experience with this?

Once it's fully composted and mixed with other organic matter, sawdust is ok, but during the process it consumes A LOT of nitrogen... Thus, during composting sawdust is good to mix with very "hot" high nitrogen ingredients such as fresh chicken manure. Be mindful of your PH; excessive amounts of sawdust can drag it down hard.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Chicken manure is what you need. Put it on hot. Right out of the chicken farm. it will kill everything. Then till it in. When it's time to plant, your soil will be ready to make giant veggies.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I put sawdust, wood chips, chainsaw shavings, etc. down on the walkways between our raised bed boxes and it works fine. Any weeds that still come up through that mulch are pretty easy to pull; it doesn't leave a sterile environment! :-) I put a ton of compost and aged horse manure on the raised beds themselves over winter, so I suspect that the nutrients in the beds themselves are fine -- and this allows me to use the wood chips and sawdust instead of wasting them. Some of the sawdust does go into each year's compost, but not much...
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"