Thread: How to fish for summer trout

Default How to fish for summer trout

Im fairly new to trout fishing, and I was wondering how to fish for trout in the summer. I know how to fish for trout in the very late summer and beginning of fall when all the salmon are spawning because thats easy. All you need are beads or flesh patterns. But I have very little knowledge on how to catch trout when the salmon are running and healthy in the middle of summer. Any advice is much appreciated.

Figure out what they are eating. There will be bugs on top, bugs underneath & little fish....

When in doubt tie on a egg-sucking-leech.

Flesh flies and beads will work 12 months out of the year. Aside from these, sculpin or leech patterns, fry, various nymphs and dry flies, and mouse patterns are other common flies to use during the summer months.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I always start with a bead on a signal light

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Have a little fun tie up or purchase some Morrish Mouse and do some skating. Another thing Believe it or not I use to like to do is tie on a size 10/12 Red Quill Dry Fly. Find holding Bows under Salmon and fish them traditional Dry Fly through and Skate them back you might get a pleasant surprise now and again. Again depends on your water and fishing pressure. On certain streams along the parks i.e. those you can wade heavy weighted stone fly nymphs tied in the round i.e. no distinct sides " refer to Charley Brooks nymph fishing" heavy short leader i.e. 6 lbs or better, no longer then 4-6 ft because you're fishing 3-5ft of water over rocks and ledges and high stick that Stone right in the holding water and you might just be surprised as well. Back in the day as I use to tell friends and clients believe it or not a trout is a trout and you can still have a ball traditional fly fishing even in AK when you do not feel like chunking eggs and or heavy streamers as used by most. Hope the information helps.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Sculpin patterns work great in the early summer.