Thread: JUNEAU...any fish

Default JUNEAU...any fish

It's been slow as all get out. State fishing report and the local sport shops don't have much better to offer. Anyone see a sparkle on the horizon? My log book had salmon and halibut in the boat by this time last year. This year only one halibut caught by my wife (which makes her very happy to out fish me and to get a halibut in the freezer).
    So if anyone has a sparkle on the horizon report please share.

Ive been going out every weekend. This weekend I saw Kings jumping and sea lions going to town on them at Port Snettisham and in front of Taku Harbor but thats all closed now. As for halibut no luck so far.

bboy - Are you sure those were "Kings" you saw jumping? I know that it is always a possibility because spawner Kings DO jump once in awhile, but there are a lot of schools of Chum salmon migrating through the local waters and doing a lot of jumping.

This spring we have witnessed one of the worst wild-stock King returns to the Taku ever recorded. The lack of Kings showing up as sport-catch is another indication that this stock is in really tough shape. Unfortunately, I don't see much that's "sparkling" on the horizon for these fish.

Fish jumping at Snett and Taku Hrbr are definitely not kings. It's right on cue for the massive slug of hatchery chumdogs to show up. They've just started to show at DIPAC. Terminal kings are red hot right now. A lot of jacks this year for some reason. Can't believe you can't get any halibut running as far as Snett. Station Pt., South Island, Twin Pts, Pt. Styleman are all good spots.

There are a few kings ( this one was 43#s) moving through.Attachment 89603