Thread: Flyfishing Kodiak for Reds and Kings Next Week

Default Flyfishing Kodiak for Reds and Kings Next Week

Hey there. I'm new to the forum and did some searching and didn't quite find the answers I was looking for. I just wanted to get a little bit of advice.

I'm headed to Kodiak next week for work. I'll be taking my fly rod(s) along with me--I will have some downtime to go fishing. I've fished for Silvers and Kings on the fly before in other areas of Alaska but this is my first trip to Kodiak, and I haven't fished much for Sockeyes (Reds). I did buy some Sockeye flies that you apparently just nymph, sounds like its more just about getting it in front of their face and floating it in front of them.

Looks like from my research next week will be good for Sockeyes on the Buskin and Kings in American and Olds rivers. Would anyone be willing to give me a little advice on fishing those locations and tactics in general for sockeyes? As I mentioned I plan on basically just nymphing for the sockeyes? Is there a certain way to rig up that I should be aware of or someone can recommend?

Thanks a lot!

Try searching the forums (see link below) you'll find some info. I've never fished Kodiak but from what I've exprniced fishing sockeye is this: if you find slower moving, clear water that holds fish use small (size 2-4) octopus hooks with different color Krystal Flash (My favorite is Chartreuse then pink) tied to them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kodi..._AUIBygA&dpr=1

Red fishing has disintegrated over here with overcrowding and flossing like the Kenai, only worse. The water you can drive to (Buskin and Pasagshak) probably has more rods per foot of shoreline than the Russian at its worst. It's a little better over at Saltery, but you have to own a 4-wheeler or beg/buy a seat from someone else to get there. Don't wanna sound harsh, but fishing reds on the Kodiak road system is a true Alaskan experience in the worst sense.

Good news is the pinks are starting to show up along the beaches and the sea run Dollies are already there. You can go there and expect to see NO ONE because they're all up elbowing each other on the red runs.

Kings fall somewhere in between on the Olds and American. There's still a little room to spread out and have a chance for fish, mostly because it's early in the run yet and the elbowing flossers are still distracted with reds.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I spent the summer of 2014 working there and fished 5-6 days a week. Reds do get chased hard on the Buskin and Pasagshack. Use a smallish/short fly, not the Russian River Flies you're used to. Mack's / Big Rays has clauser patterns with weighted eyes that should be good. You'll see a lot of slapping and ripping the water down there. From my take, that was a lot of foul hooks, and it makes the fish skittish. The best night I had was an incoming tide about 9:00 with some rain . . . the reds came in from the mouth to Bridge 1 and there's a ripple just down from the main hole there. It was awesome seeing a giant V come charging up the ripple . . . and those fish were not skittish at all. The rain made people leave too, so it was really quite enjoyable. Reds are in the Buskin until mid-late Aug . . . so, there's usually plenty of chances to get after them.

As for kings on the olds and american . . . lots of options there, but again, by 8:00 am they're skittish from being slapped at. If you're brazen to hit those streams at 11:00 pm or 4:00 am, you can have some luck with the kings.

For a blast, and some pretty good pinks, wade out to the salt at the Buskin's mouth. They're usually bright and smoke just fine. My co-worker landed a big chum out there too. It was nothing to catch and release 10+ pinks in the salt . . . then in early Aug they head into the Buskin mouth and just hang out . . . until that one big rain . . . then poof, they're upstream.

I don't even fish for reds. But if you're going to, there's two ways to go about it. Join in with the flossers and snaggers and just accept it for what it is. Of you can actually catch them if you can find either fresh fish in the salt that haven't been harassed yet, or fish in the river that are in small pockets and groups that aren't being slammed by the flossers. Either way, it's smaller, simpler flies than for other species. If you're gonna floss, downsize your hook some and it'll cut down on snags. But for me, I just don't enjoy it enough to go do it. I burn myself out on pinks and silvers and saltwater flyfishing. If you fish the Buskin, there are a couple of problem bears this year. There's bears every year, but there's one there that's about to get shot by Troopers. He's bad and will trot after you looking for fish, and he isn't afraid of standard deterrents.

What these guys have said, if you want biting reds, Buskin or Saltery is your best shot, be there early and find fish that haven't been raped. I liked fishing big pink bunny leaches and the like on a swing with no lead or weight, but you have to be willing to work them over and really tick em off. As far as Pasagshak, it's no wonder that the red run there is dismal now, and the cohos aren't far behind. You will see 20 guys standing on the river bank at the mouth on each side. Then as a fish tries to swim up the 10" of water they all unload on it with 1/2oz of lead on a "fly rod" literally running upriver chasing it at a full on sprint, it's pathetic really. The kings, fish them early with egg flies dead drifted or work them with big streamers, or get out the float rod, light leaders and fish eggs if you really want to catch em.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts