Thread: Homer from shore (or anywhere else on lower Kenai Peninsula) in two weeks!?

Default Homer from shore (or anywhere else on lower Kenai Peninsula) in two weeks!?

So I'll be doing some camping and fishing in Homer here in about 2 weeks (June 30-July4th-ish) and I was wondering what to expect if I try to do some fishing out of Homer from shore. I don't have the money to get a charter, but I have a lot of fishing experience. My concern is that it may be too early for silvers from the beach, and too late for a King. What about pinks, they are at least fun on light tackle. Thoughts? Gear to use? Timing (tides, time of day, etc)?

If we go bust in Homer, the thought is to try Kasilof for reds. I know if a campground with decent access to the river, but I was wondering if there are any other spots a person could get to without a boat (I suppose I do have a canoe, but I am a little leery of trying to navigate the river in it). Again, any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Not looking to necessarily "fill the freezer", but I would like to catch at least a few fish.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wilfred86 View Post
    So I'll be doing some camping and fishing in Homer here in about 2 weeks (June 30-July4th-ish) and I was wondering what to expect if I try to do some fishing out of Homer from shore. I don't have the money to get a charter, but I have a lot of fishing experience. My concern is that it may be too early for silvers from the beach, and too late for a King. What about pinks, they are at least fun on light tackle. Thoughts? Gear to use? Timing (tides, time of day, etc)?

If we go bust in Homer, the thought is to try Kasilof for reds. I know if a campground with decent access to the river, but I was wondering if there are any other spots a person could get to without a boat (I suppose I do have a canoe, but I am a little leery of trying to navigate the river in it). Again, any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Not looking to necessarily "fill the freezer", but I would like to catch at least a few fish.

Thanks!
    Halibut will definitely be a possibility and the chance at a Salmon from the beach is certainly there.
    Reds/Kings should be decent in the Kasilof. Fish the lower for kings and the upper and lower for reds.
    I actually like the upper river for reds and it is a relatively easy float in a driftboat.
    If you have even a little canoeing experience you should do fine on the Kasilof.
    Wear your life jacket and be watchful for rocks and sweepers near shore on the inside of corners etc.
    But overall an easy float.
    Pull over on the gravel areas and flip for the reds.
    Kings might be a bit trickier from your canoe but can be done as well as shore fishing for them.
    Be sure and post up a report after your trip.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Early July you may have a chance at a few straggler kings in the fishing hole. The silvers aren't usually there in numbers but there is always the chance.

You can fish for halibut at the end of the spit. Park in the Lands end parking area and walk down the beach to the outside water. I cast with a smaller pole, you can live without a 15'. I put a piece of squid or octopus on with a herring. The junk fish will hit it first, let it lay and wait for a big bite. Be patient, plan on a couple hours, bring a chair and relax. I like to lay the pole on my lap and read a book. Hit it at low tide and fish through the incoming. 2-4 oz weights depending on tide strength with circle hooks. Some have been mushy/watery in the area so check the firmness before you bonk them. Good luck and enjoy

A few of my buddies have moved to the big river bait style hooks (#9 or so) for shore halibut. They seem to really like them. I've been using that style (but smaller) on salmon and like them. FWIW.

I have started shore fishing the last year and have got a couple small buts. 30# braided, 7-9 red hook, herring on a 2-3 foot leader and a 4-5 oz weight. Surfcaster is best, can get like 100 yds with it. Cod, Pollock, flounder, buts, sole. It is a blast and they fight like you wouldn't believe. Go at end of high tide, to slack high again its like 4-5 hours.

this last weekend my wife caught a 8 lb halibut from shore in Homer and my son caught a 13 lb cod!!