Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenai open to harvest of king salmon June 18 under42/over 55 to MM18

Default Kenai open to harvest of king salmon June 18 under42/over 55 to MM18

The Emergency Order

"June 16, 2016
    LOWER KENAI RIVER OPENS TO KING SALMON HARVEST JUNE 18
    The Alaska Department of Fish and Game is easing sport fishing restrictions on the Kenai River and opening a portion of the river to the harvest of early-run king salmon from Saturday, June 18, through Thursday, June 30.
    Sport fish anglers will be allowed to harvest king salmon under existing sport fish regulations from the mouth of the Kenai River upstream to a department marker located approximately 300 yards downstream of Slikok Creek. This section equates to roughly 18 river miles.
    Existing regulations for this area begin on page 68 of the 2016 Southcentral Sport Fishing Regulations summary booklet. Regulations prohibit the use of bait, and allow for the use of only one unbaited, single-hook (with or without a barb), artificial fly or lure. In addition, only king salmon less than 42 inches in length or 55 inches or greater in length may be retained. Restrictions to guided fishing days and hours, as well as restrictions to fishing from a motorized vessel on Monday’s remain in effect.
    "It's proving to be a better year for king salmon returning to the Kenai River," Robert Begich, Area Management Biologist in Soldotna, said. "Over the course of the last few weeks, we’ve seen a steady number of fish pass through the sonar at river mile 14. Opening up a section of the river to harvest of king salmon will provide further opportunity to sport fish anglers while still achieving a spawning escapement in the mid to upper range of the optimum escapement goal."
    The section of the Kenai River upstream of the department markers located approximately 300 yards downstream of Slikok Creek to markers at the outlet of Skilak Lake will remain catch-and-release only for king salmon of any size through June 30. In addition, in this section, anglers are allowed to use only one unbaited, barbless, single-hook, artificial fly or lure. A barbless hook is a hook manufactured without a barb, or a hook with a barb that has been removed or compressed so the barb is in complete contact with the shaft of the hook.
    Anglers are reminded that from Friday, July 1 through Sunday, July 31, retention of king salmon will be allowed from the mouth of the Kenai River upstream to the department regulatory marker approximately 300 yards downstream of Slikok Creek. The department will decide later this month whether or not the use of bait will be allowed at the beginning of the late-run king salmon fishery.
    For more information, contact Robert Begich or Jason Pawluk at 907-262-9368."

Not sure I am a fan of this. Would like to see the slot limit down around 35 or 36 inches atleast. Maybe even leave them alone for a while all together.

Quote Originally Posted by coop22250 View Post
    "It's proving to be a better year for king salmon returning to the Kenai River," Robert Begich,.
    A better year compared to what? It sure ain't compared to 30 years ago.....

So what the hell..........Woopee!!! KILL THEM ALL...!!!

What a joke.... unfortunately it ain't funny........
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

What happens if you are fishing in the Catch and Release section for other species? Can I use a barbed hook for trout and reds? How is the barbless hook enforceable?

If you're fishing a 6/0 siwash on a K-16 lashed to a 40-60# leader and 65-80# braid, it better be barbless.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    A better year compared to what? It sure ain't compared to 30 years ago.....

So what the hell..........Woopee!!! KILL THEM ALL...!!!

What a joke.... unfortunately it ain't funny........
    What about compared to 40 years ago? Not the first time Kenai King abundance has dipped and recovered. Won't be the last either. They are projecting to make and even exceed ER escapement goals thought to provide maximum abundance (although composition is still an issue). IF you have any confidence in the counters or the goals, this is the right call. I would not fault anyone for doubting either, but ADFG has to go with what they have. Very good call to leave the upper river closed to harvest - silly us for allowing it in the first place. Fishing on spawning salmon is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    What about compared to 40 years ago? Not the first time Kenai King abundance has dipped and recovered. Won't be the last either. They are projecting to make and even exceed ER escapement goals thought to provide maximum abundance (although composition is still an issue). IF you have any confidence in the counters or the goals, this is the right call. I would not fault anyone for doubting either, but ADFG has to go with what they have. Very good call to leave the upper river closed to harvest - silly us for allowing it in the first place. Fishing on spawning salmon is dumb.
    Shouldn't it then be closed from somewhere above Eagle Rock all the way up??

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    Shouldn't it then be closed from somewhere above Eagle Rock all the way up??
    At the point where there are lots of kings spawning in that area, yes IMO. I'm a big fan of a pass through fishery - especially later in the season, and it seems to work well in a lot of other places - in fact I think all the other king streams on the Peninsula are that way, no? Relatively speaking, isn't King fishing open higher on the Kenai than any other river around these parts?

One question I have is how long the upper will remain open to C&R. Will ADFG keep that open through late run season?

Hi, I'm a newbie here. Since this is the forum I'll mainly be visiting, I thought I'd introduce myself here. I do most of my fishing in the Kenai River, mainly for silver salmon, but I'll fish for kings if given a chance. A friend dipnets a few reds for me with my proxy. I'm looking forward to some lively exchanges in this forum.

IMHO the department shouldn't have allowed c & r fishing for kings upstream from its markers 300 yards downstream from Slikok Creek on June 1, let alone now, when kings are spawning up there. I guess we'll have to try to fix this at the next fish board meeting. The department is so set on maximizing opportunity, and pointing out the "low" mortality rate, they disregard other factors, such as the higher mortality rate of kings caught and released multiple times, and the (unknown) effects of c & r and boat-motor noise on spawning success. Those spawning kings in the upstream from Bing's Landing are vulnerable. They get dragged around enough by trout fishermen, without opening the area up to c & r for "sport." If it were up to me, I wouldn't have opened the early run to fishing at all this year. And when it's opened at all, it should be because there's a harvestable surplus. There is plenty of other fishing upstream from Slikok Creek without messing with the kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    I guess we'll have to try to fix this at the next fish board meeting.
    Among other things
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Among other things
    So Doc..... I gotta ask, are you gonna go try and give some, as you say, wood shampoo to a big Kenai king tomorrow...???

So Doc..... I gotta ask, are you gonna go try and give some, as you say, wood shampoo to a big Kenai king tomorrow...???
    I know where your coming from but you can hardly blame a guy for only doing what your allowed to do........personal bias aside.

Fish were made for catching...

Me?

SERIALLY?

The last BIG king I personally caught that got a dose of wood shampoo was back before the turn of the century. Since that time, all of my BIG ones (and virtually all of my not-so-big-ones) have gone back. Three mortally wounded fish have put a premature end to my fishing day. Anything under 20" MUST die!
    The KeenEye MD

Anything under 20" MUST die!
    Do you feel the same way about gingers and short people?

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Do you feel the same way about gingers and short people?
    Should it matter?

For the record, I AM a short people who eats ginger.
    The KeenEye MD

Me?

SERIALLY?

The last BIG king I personally caught that got a dose of wood shampoo was back before the turn of the century. Since that time, all of my BIG ones (and virtually all of my not-so-big-ones) have gone back. Three mortally wounded fish have put a premature end to my fishing day. Anything under 20" MUST die!
    Ok thanks.... I didn't know if you were strictly C&R when it came to big kings......

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I know where your coming from but you can hardly blame a guy for only doing what your allowed to do........personal bias aside.
    Oh no....I don't really blame anybody for wanting to catch and keep a big king, as it's an amazing thing to do. It's just that what I keep thinking about is what if we could have that fishery again like it was back in the 80's. And I really don't believe it will ever be that way again if management stays the same as it has been. With that in mind I just wish all Kenai kings could be totally non targeted for a few years just to see what would happen....

Default Kenai open to harvest of king salmon June 18 under42/over 55 to MM18

Should it matter?

For the record, I AM a short people who eats ginger.
    Ha! I'm just saying - little guys should get a chance to breed too! Nature works in weird ways - some people dig ginger. They say we have no souls and should have recessed away but here we are! Turns out we're better at absorbing vitamin d in cloudy climates and ginger rates are higher there. Who'da thunk?

Just for the record guys I want it to be understood that I'm NOT against C&R and I'm NOT against catching and keeping a big king. I've actually tried to figure out why I have such a soft spot for them, and all I can come up with is maybe it's because they fulfilled a childhood dream of mine. Not necessarily because it came in the form of a big Kenai king, but just the fact that it actually was BIG! Meaning, for so many years as a child I longed to catch a "big" fish.

As I was trying to master the art, of which I am still far from, fishing Lake Tahoe and it's surrounding tributaries, it seemed that anything over around 4lbs would elude me. I remember the weight at the end of the rod from the bigger fish that I lost and was amazed at the feeling. All those fish were either rainbows, lake trout, or German browns. I'll never forget the 5 lb.7 oz brown my step father had mounted that hung over the fireplace. I'd tell myself I'll catch a fish bigger than that someday. But no matter how many hours, and countless smaller fish I caught, I never could make it happen.....till I moved to Alaska.

I wasn't here 3 days and that dream came true in a big way. Using pretty light gear I lost 3 monsters that I never could even get off the bottom, much less see, before I boated that 60lb.er. And I still remember realizing that although that was an incredible fish to me, it wasn't actually considered a "big" one when I watched as people caught 70 and 80+ pounders....one after the other. Back then it seemed like you couldn't ever drive by Ken's tackle without seeing one hanging there. I was absolutely flabbergasted!

Yes I know there are still big kings in the river, but after a mere 33 years I guess the thought of them being so few and far between now, and seeing the possibility that they could actually be gone in the very near future, well, it just starts pulling at the ol' heartstrings I guess. All those kinds of childhood memories are huge and are not easily forgotten for some. I'd have to believe I'm one of them.

I sure hope that there are still at least a couple big fish in that river long after I'm gone that kids can still dream of catching. My son is getting married a week from today. He's a diehard fisherman that so far, besides a 50lb halibut, hasn't caught anything over a 30 lb. Kasilof king. Maybe someday he and his son, or daughter, will be out there on the Kenai looking for one of those hogs. Let's just hope so.....

I don't know that the pros of fully exploiting this years run outweigh the cons. One exceptional return, with 2,3,4,5 and 6 ocean fish coming back, can have a great positive impact on 5 years of returns. Even if other year classes are weak, the returns from a strong year soften the impact of the weak years.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I don't know that the pros of fully exploiting this years run outweigh the cons. One exceptional return, with 2,3,4,5 and 6 ocean fish coming back, can have a great positive impact on 5 years of returns. Even if other year classes are weak, the returns from a strong year soften the impact of the weak years.
    Fully exploiting this years return?

The first month of the season was CLOSED.

First 7k fish got a free pass.

Half the area typically open to fishing for kings remains catch and release.

ADF&G was conservative to start the season and rightly so. Perhaps they held the reins a
    little to tight but that's another topic. However, to go into a fully exploitation the return is simply not true.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast