Thread: Just a heads up.... SOLDOTNA CREEK may turn purple

Default Just a heads up.... SOLDOTNA CREEK may turn purple

Treat for pike eradication.

The chemicals used may turn the lower creek purple as the poison is neutralized.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...2016&NRID=2263
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I see that they were recently restocked with native fishes with no retention for at least the rest of this year.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...2018&NRID=2516

So are the lakes of the Soldotna Creek drainage officially rid of pike now?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

They finished last summer. Plans are to do Tote Road lakes this summer, and Peninsula should be pike free.

Yeah until some idiot throws a cooler full of pike in again

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

To my knowledge, they never did anything about the pike in Tree lake. I asked a bio about it when they had the weir set up at Sevena and he was not aware that the two lakes were connected. That was 5 years ago. If in fact they didn't treat Tree lake, they just fed a bunch of big pike that will be in Sevena real soon!

Quote Originally Posted by akcarv View Post
    They finished last summer. Plans are to do Tote Road lakes this summer, and Peninsula should be pike free.
    "should" would be the key word here, and I say good luck with that....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaislider View Post
    To my knowledge, they never did anything about the pike in Tree lake. I asked a bio about it when they had the weir set up at Sevena and he was not aware that the two lakes were connected. That was 5 years ago. If in fact they didn't treat Tree lake, they just fed a bunch of big pike that will be in Sevena real soon!
    Looking closely at Google Earth, for the life of me I can't see where Tree lake is connected to Sevena? I couldn't even see where Cisca is connected. I realize the when you zoom in close on Google Earth it's not very clear, so all I can think is that it has to be an extremely small tributary that you're talking about? But I do know that's all that's needed for pike to get to where they wanna go. Maybe you could elaborate?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yes I can elaborate. You are correct that google earth doesn't show it very well. I have spent the better part of my life in that area, trapped it for many years. There is a creek that flows out of Tree lake and ties into Soldotna creek less than a mile downstream of Sevena. It is maybe 2' wide but 4' deep! 30 years ago you could see 20-30" rainbows spawning in it where it goes under Mullicans road, and in the fall it would be full of silvers. The lake in the fall would be full of spawners. You could catch rainbows and kokanee to your hearts content! Then the pike showed up, and well you know the rest of the story. Like I said, I told this to a State bio, hell I even went to the feds on ski hill road and told them 15 years ago what was going on. Nobody seemed to care? I know for a fact that tree lake has or had pike in it 5 years ago. Was catching them, big ones. But surprisingly was also catching kokanee, well actually young silvers I guess as they are not land locked.