Thread: Russian River Fishing 2016 updates

Default Russian River Fishing 2016 updates

Fishing is beyond slow, for the last two days about three fish. Walked the river multiple times, also low numbers through the weir. Looking down the river and in the sanctuary, not any fish to speak of.

Not very scientific but my son floated the lower Kenai in his one man pontoon Monday night, and saw 30 + reds jumping in the back eddies. Hopefully they show up at the Russian soon.

This ain't very scientific either-- just facts!
    On the 19th at about 4:00 am Them Reds are gonna be pile'n past the marker at the top end of the sanctuary so thick that the water level is gonna'
    raise close to a foot, and will keep goin' like that for the rest of the week, leave the hip boots behind and bring the chest waders, yer gonna need em!

Still VERY slow on 25 June. I was in cottonwood hole for a lil over 2 hours. I counted about 2 dozen folks within eyesight as far as I could see up and down river. Not a single hook up.
    Going in the afternoon, I knew it would be slow, but didn't expect it to be non existent.

Cant say there's much coming up the river right now either. I spent a week on the middle river below Skilak and reds were few and far between. Also, if you check the ER King sonar page, you can see the test netting data on Sockeye in the lower....very low numbers for this time of year.

Doesn't look good for the early Russian run this year. They will probably grind it out and hope for the low end of the escapement is my guess, however a 1 fish limit could be forthcoming...

Had four different Russian River veterans give the same report from this weekend, SLOW
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Me and my boy are going down to Quartz Creek this week for 5days and was gonna go to the Russian and Kenai. I see that it is slow but as this is my third summer here and I still haven't got a red yet I was planning on trying. Is it worth it? I mean I spent 5 days at Klutina when it totally died 2 weeks ago, so I am determined to get 1.

It is completely up to you as to what is "worth it". I think it is a gorgeous river, and the bonus of a year like this one is that you don't have the regular crowding you experience on a good year. Try going in the middle of the night hours to about 6 am for best luck. If you use a very long leader (4'-5') with a nice drift and circle hooks you can still get it done in certain holes like cottonwood but it takes patience and a bit of knowhow. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Utarded View Post
    It is completely up to you as to what is "worth it". I think it is a gorgeous river, and the bonus of a year like this one is that you don't have the regular crowding you experience on a good year. Try going in the middle of the night hours to about 6 am for best luck. If you use a very long leader (4'-5') with a nice drift and circle hooks you can still get it done in certain holes like cottonwood but it takes patience and a bit of knowhow. Good luck!
    Utarded nailed it on the head. The sockeye are moving at the dead of night 12:00 am-4:00am. Once sunrise hits, they quit moving out of the sanctuary.

Quote Originally Posted by Utarded View Post
    I totally agree. I am just a little bummed I havent hook anything yet this season. I am trying to keep me and my boy motivatd is all. We will be going I was just a little cranky yesterdday.

Thanks FishGod. So where is this cottonwood hole anyway?????

Quote Originally Posted by AkReaper View Post
    Thanks FishGod. So where is this cottonwood hole anyway?????
    It's about 100 yards downstream of where the Grayling parking lot trail hits the river.

A couple other good bank fishing spots are downstream of Bing's Landing, Centennial Park, and upstream of the highway bridge in Soldotna.

2nd run near the Russian yet?