Thread: Best way to get a boat shipped up from Seattle

Default Best way to get a boat shipped up from Seattle

Been looking at some boats in the seattle area.

Thought about driving it up , or trailering up the Alcan.

Best way to ship one up ?

I was doing the same back in February and can say between options of barge/ferry, the ferry is far cheaper. The boat we were looking at in Washington was going to run $11,800 to ship with insurance from Bellingham to Anchorage. About $1400 of that was the additional insurance. The ferry was less than $4,000, and think closer to $3,300-ish. I think driving up would be fun, but between time out of the office and fuel, far cheaper to ship it up for me.

Since we were looking at new boats, the local dealer price matched what we could get from Tom & Jerrys in Washington with the cheaper ferry ride.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Wow, more than I thought.

Looking at used ones, so I have some room for transportation , but $11k , Wow.

Have heard the ferry to Haines might be an option too.

Yah, I was shocked when I checked with the barge. The ferry charge in the mid-$3ks was all the way to Whittier. Problem I ran into there was the spots booked up quick.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I shipped an 8.5x16 (plus tongue) up and it was $4000. Not very cheap but the ferry was booked way early. If you want to ship one up the spring fills fast with tourists coming up. I was told shipping up in the fall has more openings.

Barge is cheaper try totem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

Also look into AML, or Freight Forwarders in Fife.

Shipping on the Alaska Marine Lines barge from Washington to Anchorage cost me $5774 (36'X8'6"X9'6") I was a month late on getting it on the ferry to Whittier. This was back in 2014 though....

Default Best way to get a boat shipped up from Seattle

I know several people who have ended up shipping to Haines and then trailering as it was substantially cheaper than shipping to the Peninsula.

A few years ago I had to get my boat up here from Tennessee. I went to uShip.com which is a market place where you list what you need to get shipped and people will bid on it. I ended up paying about $1,000 to have it dragged up here to Fairbanks behind a motor home that was being delivered to Anchorage. I had the boat shrink wrapped and protected. No damage and it was delivered as expected.

Cheers!

24' on trailer so I think I figured 27' total. $3,200 on the Ferry Bellingham to Haines. Had a buddy put it on in B-ham and I drove to Haines from Anchorage and picked it up. All went like clock work, just pay attention to the border open and close times... not a 24 hour operation.
    The Tug is the Drug
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2007 Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - Evinrude Etec 225 - "Eagle VI"

Thanks
    Some great info

Now the hard part, getting a boat

Quote Originally Posted by cavokak View Post
    24' on trailer so I think I figured 27' total. $3,200 on the Ferry Bellingham to Haines. Had a buddy put it on in B-ham and I drove to Haines from Anchorage and picked it up. All went like clock work, just pay attention to the border open and close times... not a 24 hour operation.
    Just curious....Do you need a passport to get through the border?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Just curious....Do you need a passport to get through the border?

Yes. Passport card will do.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have been through the border several times without a passport. Yes BPS really wants you to have a passport, however, the rule is not enforceable. A valid Drivers license and your birth certificate does work. I have done the trip south to visit family in Skagway several times and all the way to California with both my sons 2 yrs ago and none of us have a passport. Until Canada decides to start requiring a passport for entry the rule for reentry is unenforceable. Proof of citizenship is all that is required. However, be prepared for "the talk".

Back to shipping boats. I shipped my lobster boat both in and out of alaska on AML both times all went well and on time. Shipping to AK was more expensive than shipping out of AK. Boat is 29x10.5 and overall on trailer is was 35x10.5. I don't think height matters as boats get chained down on top of the pile of containers. One thing i would advise is to make sure boat is sitting bow up on the trailer so water from rain doesn't pile up in the bow or run into the cabin. I rigged a small bilge pump on deck to make sure of that.
    squall on trailer.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692