Thread: Article: Bait-station possible impact on Park Campers.........???

Default Article: Bait-station possible impact on Park Campers.........???

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wildl...bait-stations/

"blasting a policy by the Alaska Board of Game that allows bear baiting on state land outside Denali National Park".

I started a thread about a year ago on this subject. The responses were good. I can't say that I fully was convinced that baiting is a good idea, but I learned a lot, and I think that thread is a good place to start for people who are interested in perspectives on the issue. An interesting perspective is that bears have great noses and like food. They don't have to be habituated to human food to raid your tent, because they can smell that you have good food. They can also smell humans. Have they been habituated to not fear humans? If so, is that really something that bear baiting does? Or, does the Park Service policies and visitor behavior habituate them to not fear humans?

Still, I'm not totally convinced that baiting is a good idea. But, it's worth reading the linked thread.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/147831-A-gentle-question-habituation?

The NPS needs is more Karelian Bear Dogs that haze bears that come near humans and bear dog handlers who haze humans who come near bears. Glacier National Park does that, I think.

But, Denali National Park isn't interested in fewer human-bear encounters. They just want safer human-bear encounters.

food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    But, Denali National Park isn't interested in fewer human-bear encounters. They just want safer human-bear encounters.

food for thought.
    Hey I heard of a guy that thought he could have safe human bear encounters...

I think he turned into food for {bear} thoughts.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Call me skeptical, but this looks like a different approach to attempt to outlaw bear baiting. Over the years I have seen many unusual attempts and I'm suspicious of this as another attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by RLK7 View Post
    Call me skeptical, but this looks like a different approach to attempt to outlaw bear baiting. Over the years I have seen many unusual attempts and I'm suspicious of this as another attempt.
    If it sounds like, looks like, swims like a duck, it likely is a duck.

Bears at campgrounds are always far more bold than those at bait stations. Especially grizzly. If they come in and catch human scent, they are gone, at a bait station. In a campground, they've figured out the human scent poses no threat.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wildl...bait-stations/

"blasting a policy by the Alaska Board of Game that allows bear baiting on state land outside Denali National Park".

Political hogwash. A feeble theory intended to the rouse the ignorant and sympathetic.

And in related news...

"Park officials say early this week a small, sub-adult grizzly bear charged vehicles near the Primrose area and chased visitors in the Savage River area along the Denali Park Road.
    On Wednesday afternoon the same bear approached and charged several hikers on the Savage Alpine Trail.
    One hiker threw a daypack, hoping to distract the bear, and the bear immediately broke into the pack, played with it and consumed at least two candy bars and bottles of soda pop."

Obviously, this bear had been to a bait station and learned that people will throw food at him if he threatens them.

I like to feed bears lead.. usually once they get a taste they no longer cause problems haha

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    And in related news...

"Park officials say early this week a small, sub-adult grizzly bear charged vehicles near the Primrose area and chased visitors in the Savage River area along the Denali Park Road.
    On Wednesday afternoon the same bear approached and charged several hikers on the Savage Alpine Trail.
    One hiker threw a daypack, hoping to distract the bear, and the bear immediately broke into the pack, played with it and consumed at least two candy bars and bottles of soda pop."

Obviously, this bear had been to a bait station and learned that people will throw food at him if he threatens them.
    Oh oh, Yogi has been re-incarnated....

Way down south here in Canada, we had a grizz in one of our parks nicknamed "Yogi" by the wardens. She learned early on in life that if she false charged/followed hikers around, they would often drop their picnic baskets.... couldn't count how many times she did this over 15+ years....

And in related news...

I'm not sure exactly where Primrose and Savage are at, but I'd be willing to bet that they are both far enough away from any remote possibility of a legal bear baiting site. This bear most likely learned this from inside the park, not outside of it.

Obviously my a*s...!!! How many times have you heard of a hunter throwing food at a bear at a bait station because the bear threatened him? If it did it would be the last time.

That has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read. If anything, a bear will go to a bait station BECAUSE he found out what human food was in the park in the first place. What a crock....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Obviously my a*s...!!! How many times have you heard of a hunter throwing food at a bear at a bait station because the bear threatened him? If it did it would be the last time.

That has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read. If anything, a bear will go to a bait station BECAUSE he found out what human food was in the park in the first place. What a crock....

Help me out here, is my sarcasm detector broke regarding your post, or is your sarcasm detector broke regarding willphish4food's post?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Help me out here, is my sarcasm detector broke regarding your post, or is your sarcasm detector broke regarding willphish4food's post?
    Oh.... After reading your post and going back to read it again, most definitely mine's broke. I thought what he said was still part of the article because of the same letter font. Didn't pay attention to the quotation marks either. Ooops!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh.... After reading your post and going back to read it again, most definitely mine's broke. I thought what he said was still part of the article because of the same letter font. Didn't pay attention to the quotation marks either. Ooops!
    Try as I might, I still only find habituated, easy to kill bears in campgrounds and areas where they cannot be shot. Have yet to find one out in the field, regardless of what means I have at my disposal to lure them in.