Thread: G20 vs G40 Info

Default G20 vs G40 Info

I once owned a G20 and traded it for a 338 win mag, but have since decided I want to get another one. I shoot semi-autos better than revolvers.

I already own a 44 mag, which I am keeping, but am wanting to know if anyone out there has shot both the G20 and the G40.

I do know I want either a SF gen3 G20 or a Gen4 with the thinner grips.

If you've held them both or shot them both, please give me some feedback. Gun's purpose is a second bear gun (either for me or the wife or someone else I'm out with) and for inside the house (so I no longer need my EDC (g43) as home defense.

I've owned both a Gen 4 G20 which I sold once I bought my G40. My purpose for the G40 is a woods gun. Something to carry while fishing, dipnetting, maybe some hunting of game no larger than caribou at close range. I also have a couple 44 Magnums but enjoy and shoot the semi-auto 10mms better.

For these purposes, I see no reason to buy a G20. I prefer the longer sight radius of the G40. I extensively modified both my G20 and G40 with aftermarket parts.

ZevTech Fulcrum trigger kit
    KKM 6 inch barrel
    Stainless steel gen 4 RSA
    LoneWolf slidelock
    Brass magazine weight
    Dawson precision fiber optic front sight and adjustable rear sight

I handload 200 grain WFNGC Beartooth bullets and 200 grain Hornady XTPs. With proper bullet seating depth and taper crimp they feed very reliably. Zero malfunctions thus far, once I figured out how to seat the bullets and crimp them properly.

I use a nylon chest holster which also fits my 44 magnums and my STI Perfect 10. For hip holsters, I have both a leather Bianchi designed for the G20 which also fits the G40 and a KT Akela tactical holster designed for the G40.

I used a Trjicon RM06 on my G20 and didn't like using it because it didn't feel natural when trying to find the dot when shooting at a target. The slide cut in the G40 should help with that but since I intend to use this pistol defensively in the woods, I prefer the speed and familiarity of iron sights.

Hope this helps, please feel free to ask any specific questions about either pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by sep View Post
    I've owned both a Gen 4 G20 which I sold once I bought my G40. My purpose for the G40 is a woods gun. Something to carry while fishing, dipnetting, maybe some hunting of game no larger than caribou at close range. I also have a couple 44 Magnums but enjoy and shoot the semi-auto 10mms better.

For these purposes, I see no reason to buy a G20. I prefer the longer sight radius of the G40. I extensively modified both my G20 and G40 with aftermarket parts.

ZevTech Fulcrum trigger kit
    KKM 6 inch barrel
    Stainless steel gen 4 RSA
    LoneWolf slidelock
    Brass magazine weight
    Dawson precision fiber optic front sight and adjustable rear sight

I handload 200 grain WFNGC Beartooth bullets and 200 grain Hornady XTPs. With proper bullet seating depth and taper crimp they feed very reliably. Zero malfunctions thus far, once I figured out how to seat the bullets and crimp them properly.

I use a nylon chest holster which also fits my 44 magnums and my STI Perfect 10. For hip holsters, I have both a leather Bianchi designed for the G20 which also fits the G40 and a KT Akela tactical holster designed for the G40.

I used a Trjicon RM06 on my G20 and didn't like using it because it didn't feel natural when trying to find the dot when shooting at a target. The slide cut in the G40 should help with that but since I intend to use this pistol defensively in the woods, I prefer the speed and familiarity of iron sights.

Hope this helps, please feel free to ask any specific questions about either pistol.
    any idea how much more velocity you get out of the longer barrel?
    Also how much more accurate have you found the G40 to be?

We have both G20sf's and G40 Glocks. My G20sf is my EDC hand gun and my G40 is set up as my hunting hand gun. With my loads they both shoot very well and I have no issues with either one of them. My G40 has a Burris Fast Fire III on it, which I really like.
    I have not check either one for speed, which I intend to do some day, just have not done it. I would suspect that the G40 might give me a few more FPS, but not sure if it would make much of a difference for the distances that I plan to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    We have both G20sf's and G40 Glocks. My G20sf is my EDC hand gun and my G40 is set up as my hunting hand gun. With my loads they both shoot very well and I have no issues with either one of them. My G40 has a Burris Fast Fire III on it, which I really like.
    I have not check either one for speed, which I intend to do some day, just have not done it. I would suspect that the G40 might give me a few more FPS, but not sure if it would make much of a difference for the distances that I plan to shoot.
    Did you have any issues mounting the burris? I read somewhere that the designated indention on the G40 slide for the reflex sights was complicated. It wasn't working with certain sights (it's been a few months since I read it, so my memory isn't 100% sure).

I would assume the velocity wouldn't be that much more, and you have a good point about the distance I want to shoot it at.

Is there a difference in the grips? Or is it about the same?
    I noticed a difference between the SF and the regular grips on the 3rd gen, and the 4th gen seemed to be more like the SF.
    I just haven't held a G40 yet.

I have not had any issues with the Burris Fast Fire III and I have shot a lot of rounds through it. I do not think that there is much difference between my G20sf and the G40, at least to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Did you have any issues mounting the burris? I read somewhere that the designated indention on the G40 slide for the reflex sights was complicated. It wasn't working with certain sights (it's been a few months since I read it, so my memory isn't 100% sure).

I would assume the velocity wouldn't be that much more, and you have a good point about the distance I want to shoot it at.

Is there a difference in the grips? Or is it about the same?
    I noticed a difference between the SF and the regular grips on the 3rd gen, and the 4th gen seemed to be more like the SF.
    I just haven't held a G40 yet.

I didn't chronograph the loads in the G20 so I don't really know how much faster the 6 inch barrel pushes em. I used the KKM barrel in both the G20 and now in the G40. I can't speak to an accuracy difference between them because I literally used the same barrel in each pistol.

I can't speak to the grip issue either because I have no experience with any Glocks other than the Gen 4 G20 and G40. They both feel natural to me.

One of my co-workers recently mounted a Leupold Deltapoint on his G40. He didn't have any issues mounting it. He's looking to buy suppressor height sights which co-witness with the dot to make it easier to find the dot.

Thanks guys. I really had no intentions of mounting a reflex, but I'll look into the option.

Overall, if money was an issue, is the extra coin for the 40 worth it, in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Thanks guys. I really had no intentions of mounting a reflex, but I'll look into the option.

Overall, if money was an issue, is the extra coin for the 40 worth it, in your opinion?
    It is to me. I prefer the longer sight radius. Relatively speaking, the pistol isn't heavy or unwieldy with the 6 inch barrel. Certainly, not in the same league as a revolver.

I have a G20 and a G21 with Lone Wolf conversion barrel, my son has a G40. I shoot the KKM 6" on the 20's so they are equal to the 40. I like his 40, but it not enough more gun for me to buy one. If I didn't have 2 already and I could find a good 20 for a good price I'd go for it. The sight radius is nice but I can't see enough benefit to justify the 40. Can't go wrong with either.

Oh yeah, I also have a G20 that I cut the grip length length to G29 length to make it easier to carry and it has a KKM stock length. It's not quite as easy as the full grip to shoot well, but it's meant to be bear gun so it's a short range gun anyway. I use a Crossbreed IWB holster and it carrys very well but I need suspenders to keep my pants up.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

How was the accuracy with the factory barrel? Why all the aftermarket barrels? Just curious as I got a Glock 20 Gen 4 on order. What bullets do you guys prefer in the 10mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    How was the accuracy with the factory barrel? Why all the aftermarket barrels? Just curious as I got a Glock 20 Gen 4 on order. What bullets do you guys prefer in the 10mm?
    Matt I've always wondered why as well. Someone once told me that the factory barrel wasn't designed for hot rounds. I spoke with a cousin of mine who works with glock and he said the barrels were fine for anything on the market.

Of course I did not keep mine long enough to decide.

Glock doesn't recommend shooting lead bullets in their pistols (as in hardcast lead bullets). So, aftermarket barrel makers sell barrels for the Glocks with standard rifling to shoot hardcast. I load both hardcast 200 grainers and load Hornady XTPs and shoot them through my KKM barrel. You can shoot lead bullets from Glocks and their polyagonal rifling. Just make sure you aren't getting lead build up. Lots of people do it. Some folks claim their brass gets "smileyed" using the stock glock barrel. Claiming poor chamber support.

The 10MMFirearms forum has a lot of stuff posted relative to bullet performance with gel tests etc. 200 grain XTPs usually penetrate 18-20+ inches in gel. Hardcast lead closer to three feet in the same gel. Which you should use should be based upon what kind of performance you want from the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by sep View Post
    Glock doesn't recommend shooting lead bullets in their pistols (as in hardcast lead bullets). So, aftermarket barrel makers sell barrels for the Glocks with standard rifling to shoot hardcast. I load both hardcast 200 grainers and load Hornady XTPs and shoot them through my KKM barrel. You can shoot lead bullets from Glocks and their polyagonal rifling. Just make sure you aren't getting lead build up. Lots of people do it. Some folks claim their brass gets "smileyed" using the stock glock barrel. Claiming poor chamber support.

The 10MMFirearms forum has a lot of stuff posted relative to bullet performance with gel tests etc. 200 grain XTPs usually penetrate 18-20+ inches in gel. Hardcast lead closer to three feet in the same gel. Which you should use should be based upon what kind of performance you want from the bullet.
    Yes. My memory is returning. We talked about the lead issue, and was determined unless I'm shooting strictly lead, I'd be fine. Practice with normal ammo and use the lead for a bear only.

It's my experience that the KKM barrels are more accurate than the factory Glock barrels but it really depends on the range in question since the Glock barrels are fine up close...50 yds, not so much. I shoot hard cast 180gr because I like their ability to penetrate and I think that's more important than expanding on hard headed critters. For deer, XTP's are fine. At lower speeds the Berry's coated bullets in Glock barrels are great for practice and they are cheaper.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.