Thread: Hacksaw blade for skull plates?

Wink Hacksaw blade for skull plates?

Has anyone used a hacksaw blade for cutting antlers away from skull plates? I thought of using one as a one time, cheep backpackable, saw.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default backpack saws

It could work. There are some lightweight handles to attach to them. But the hack saw blade is limited in use and fragile compared to other saws.
    there are several lightweight folding saws with locking blades made for everything from camping to professional pruning. The blades are easy to change and many of the manufacturers use interchangeable blades.
    I have used my saw and same blade for a long time for everything from limbing climbing trees to cutting firewood. I have used it to clear a path through alder (wish I had my brush axe) and to cut all of the bones off of animals that we have taken. I always have a spare blade with me just in case.
    Craftsman also makes a knife system with multiple blades that include a short 4" or 5" saw blade as well as blades for sheet rock, carpet, glass, et al. I have one of those also, but never thought about using it for bone until now. I'll go home and take a look at it as I am planning a mountain hunt this year.

Default saw

Just use a good folding saw.if your not doing a mount IE capeing ,skin the skull any way it makes the sawing easy! if you dont its a real buger to saw through, the hide and hair plug your blade and gums it all up

I haven't used them on skull plates, but have used them to cut limbs on whitetails. I guess if you got a good, aggressive blade it might work ok, but I had problems with the hacksaw blades clogging. I gave up on using it real fast.

A good aggressive sawzall blade works real well and is easy and light to pack

Default Gigli Wire

I generally pack a Wyoming saw but your post made me think of an interesting option.

Gigli wire is made for cutting bone and can be purchased on ebay as well as medical distributors. I have handles to attach to small loops on each end but the wire will zip through bone and is extremely light. You would not have to purchase the handles; you could improvise with something as simple as a good pair of gloves. The gigli wire is inexpensive.

I have not used the gigli wire on game but use it in surgical applications.

DrB
    Last edited by DrB; 07-04-2007 at 23:01. Reason: spelling error

Default sawzall blade handle?

Has anybody seen a handle designed to turn a sawzall blade into a handsaw? That might be a good idea. there are lots of options for type of teeth and length of blade and they are not too expensive.

I've found that fine toothed blades such as hacksaws tend to clog and do a poor job. I find a stanley shortcut saw on sale for 6 or 7 dollars. Use it on 6 or 7 caribou and throw it away. Get a 9 pt. or as course as is available.

The fine tooth meat saw type blade that comes with my wyoming saw has always worked good. It's always in my pack moose hunting.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again