Thread: A Little Bay Weld Beautification! Transom and Tank

Default A Little Bay Weld Beautification! Transom and Tank

So my 240 Pacific Explorer was having issues with the scuppers too far down into the water when we would all be on deck, mostly when we were loaded heavy with gear and beer for multiday trips--so asked Bay Welding to help out with a modification several others have found great success with--boxing in the transom. From a couple other folks that made the same mod with a review by Hewes, sounds like it will give me well over 450+ lbs of additional lift. One gent said Hewes calculated it to 688lbs--but I haven't done the math to verify.

Since they were already in there, I had them look over the tank. The 240 only comes with a 127 gal tank over the 156 available on the 260. With the shorter tank, and my deck right at a foot (well 11") longer than the 260 version, there is simply an absolute ton of room in the main hold for a secondary tank--so that is also seeing a little attention this week.

Been excited about the project since May, and all of it is going down this week, so will post pictures as I get them.

Below are the pictures from today with the boxed transom portion. They moved my washdown intake over, and then gave separate plugs, one for the new boxed void only, and then a separate one for the bilge itself. Nifty way of doing it I though. The transducer is tucked in pretty tight, so not sure if the side-vu will still work, which admittedly I have yet to use.

They are dropping the engines slightly as needed to offset the geometric changes.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Before this morning.

Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Looks great, want to have the same thing done to our kingfisher.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Has this been done on other kingfishers with good results? In addition to being stern heavy, the stepped transom makes transducer mounting a PITA.

Here is the finished transom project--

Here is the start of the tank--

Sounds like I should have it back for the weekend to give a shakedown around Homer.

All finished and turned out awesome.

How does the boat perform now?

Great so far. Main purpose was to deal with stern heavy posture in the water which is completely fixed, the additional flotation moved it up around 1.5-2", so scuppers are now entirely out of the water even with full tanks and couple good sized gents on deck. It always jumped onto step quick, but amazingly it does it even faster. I know others are saying a noticeable increase in fuel economy--and in my limited shakedown of about 30 miles, seems to burn same rate as before--so we will see on longer trip if average increased.

We were only able to run around for a little bit Friday, so next weekend I have a longer PWS trip.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    So my 240 Pacific Explorer was having issues with the scuppers too far down into the water when we would all be on deck, mostly when we were loaded heavy with gear and beer for multiday trips--so asked Bay Welding to help out with a modification several others have found great success with--boxing in the transom. From a couple other folks that made the same mod with a review by Hewes, sounds like it will give me well over 450+ lbs of additional lift. One gent said Hewes calculated it to 688lbs--but I haven't done the math to verify.

Since they were already in there, I had them look over the tank. The 240 only comes with a 127 gal tank over the 156 available on the 260. With the shorter tank, and my deck right at a foot (well 11") longer than the 260 version, there is simply an absolute ton of room in the main hold for a secondary tank--so that is also seeing a little attention this week.

Been excited about the project since May, and all of it is going down this week, so will post pictures as I get them.

Below are the pictures from today with the boxed transom portion. They moved my washdown intake over, and then gave separate plugs, one for the new boxed void only, and then a separate one for the bilge itself. Nifty way of doing it I though. The transducer is tucked in pretty tight, so not sure if the side-vu will still work, which admittedly I have yet to use.

They are dropping the engines slightly as needed to offset the geometric changes.
    Dumb question #1: When they were at it, why didn't they move your transducer to the back of the extension between the OB's or at least put a bracket for it back there?
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    Great so far. Main purpose was to deal with stern heavy posture in the water which is completely fixed, the additional flotation moved it up around 1.5-2", so scuppers are now entirely out of the water even with full tanks and couple good sized gents on deck. It always jumped onto step quick, but amazingly it does it even faster. I know others are saying a noticeable increase in fuel economy--and in my limited shakedown of about 30 miles, seems to burn same rate as before--so we will see on longer trip if average increased.

We were only able to run around for a little bit Friday, so next weekend I have a longer PWS trip.
    Thanks for the update. Was very curious how this worked out and how it affected fuel economy. Also interested how it affects trim while running - like if it pushes your bow into the water more or how it affects trim tab use.

So doing the measurements and math, the enclosure adds between 9,900-11,500 cubic inches. Put a range as all the angles make it a trapezoidal shape, and not confident in my math. Basically gives me additional flotation towards the 400lb range. This levels the boat out nicely, but on acceleration, the bow still rises. I did not use the trim tabs as much when we did the shake down, but admit, I do not use them as much on this boat generally as it has always seemed to ride the chop nicely. I used them constantly on our seasport. In the waves we had Friday evening, it was pretty darn perfect without the tabs at all going slow. When I started to speed up and see how fast we could run them, I did trim a little to keep the bow down--but was not necessary a the appropriate speed.

Will let you know on economy--so far, seems exactly where it was before--granted I had 53 gallons of additional fuel that the boat wasn't carrying before on that run, so having that additional weight and no noticeable drop in economy might be a big economy boost I failed to notice. Should be able to tell better when we are lighter on fuel with three normal sized folks this weekend.

On the transducer--honestly I didn't say anything other than do what you guys think is the best option. With that long bar shaped one, do not think I would want it right off the back between the engines as far back as it extends. It works well where it is, but havent messed with the side-vu to see if it works at all or what. If I get to a point of using another transducer, I would have them simply add the bracket. Since the pod has its own separate drain and oversize hatches, if I were going to add another transducer down the road, I would likely add a thru-hull into the pod itself.