Thread: Russian River Questions

Default Russian River Questions

Does anyone know if they put the cleaning stations back up along the river near the campground? I know they took them out a few years ago and I haven't been down there for a few years. They were also talking about not allowing fish cleaning in the river so as to not attract bears with the carcasses. Did this ever happen. The questions are due to some leg and back problems. The same problems that have kept me away for a while.
    Thank you in advance for any information.

No cleaning tables on the Russian, I keep a piece of artificial turf with me for cleaning fish on the river, the only ones I can think of are at the confluence of the Russian and one each side of the Kenai at the ferry.
    They only recommend that you don't clean fish on river its not a rule or law.
    It's also recommended to chop up the carcass into small pieces and tossing them into deeper water.

you can head gut and tail the fish, more easily than filleting, then remove the spine at home on a firm surface.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    you can head gut and tail the fish, more easily than filleting, then remove the spine at home on a firm surface.
    It takes less time to fillet a fish than it takes to gut one.

Its obviously faster to just fillet, rather than head, tail, gut and then fillet. However, time isn't the only issue. it can be very difficult to fillet without a lot of loss. Especially as the op mentioned physical limitations. gutting and heading and tailing won't waste meat and doesn't expose it to dirt as filleting on a riverbank can, and doesn't require a flat, hard surface.

My father in law wants to catch a humpback Red- We are fishing out of Seward on the 19th- coming across the sterling that evening. I'll check back to see what chances of seeing a Brown bear or catching a red on the Russian that evening. They are not humpback when they are down in soldotna are they?

Thanks Guys- 1 month and counting!!!!

we cleaned ours at the ferry parking area after floating to jims this weekend. The manager there said he meets with F&G and was going to see about putting one in at jims. We paid for parking up front and not in back so technically we weren't allowed to park back there and use the tables, or so we were informed. Hope they put a couple more in

You may be referring to a Pink salmon which are called Humpies or humback. Sockeye are called Reds and will be found in the Kenai at the confluence of the Russian river.As far as Grayling fishing, the Denali highway is a great place. All the streams crossing it have grayling. A particular stream I always took my kids was tangle river. Fish a bobber with salmon eggs or small Mepps spinner rooster tail. Any small lure will work. The drive from Paxson to Cantwell is just beautifull
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrohobie View Post
    My father in law wants to catch a humpback Red- We are fishing out of Seward on the 19th- coming across the sterling that evening. I'll check back to see what chances of seeing a Brown bear or catching a red on the Russian that evening. They are not humpback when they are down in soldotna are they?

Thanks Guys- 1 month and counting!!!!

There can be a ruff crowd round them cleaning tables sometimes.
    Attached Images Attached Images