Thread: DB246....Whatcha know about dem parts?

Default DB246....Whatcha know about dem parts?

so now that it is june and bear season is over, I am curious to hear how kodiak bear hunting was for the hunters/huntress who hunted the DB246 tag. if you want to pm me that will work also. I am looking for the good and bad as I will be hunting that area for the first time next spring. I have talked with some air transporters but I like to hear what people's opinions are. how long of a hunt did you take? is it buggy in the spring? lots of water? did you see alot of bears? just one?
    I was thinking of just hunting the public side and not buying the native land access permit.... is this something I should get?

thanks for any information and advice. this will be fulfilling a dream of mine since I learned about these bears watching marty schoeffer's wild america and reading books when I was a young lad.

Wife had 246 tag this spring. Shot a nice boar on the 3rd day and we did not recover it. No Mosquitos to speak of, a bit of a mayfly hatch which was annoying while walking near one of the lakes. Getting around was pretty easy on foot. Brush was there but not crazy thick. We were fine in hiking boots and gaiters, no need for waders. Only saw one other bear. Probably would have seen more if we had been looking..... But after she shot the bear we spent 2 full days with our noses to the ground looking for him.

Biggest advice I can give you, don't wound a bear. It really, really, really sucks.

Oh yeah we were on the public side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry to hear that... I have had two grizzlies disappear after getting hit hard so I know the feeling. what were your dates that you guys went out? who was your air taxi and would you recommend them?
    Thanks for the info. I am planning on landing in one of the lakes by the hills and set up camp then walk and hunt the hills on the east side of the peninsula. I should have a buddy with me and possibly my 14 yr old son....he wants to go really bad... I am just concerned for his well being. anyways, thanks again quest32a

akhunter4811...I'm interested to know how your planning is going? I drew this tag for 2018. Good luck.

Not sure where this tag is for?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

North Karluk River spring hunt

Gotcha....
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Brettr1 View Post
    akhunter4811...I'm interested to know how your planning is going? I drew this tag for 2018. Good luck.
    depending on the weather I am looking at flying in to lake 445. it is close to the hills and far enough away from the private native land. if the lake is frozen it looks like seven mile beach will be where I hunt. I have been in talks with Andrews air and seahawk air and both are very informative and costs the same to fly out to this area. I am planning on hunting April 17th thru the end of April. My daughter decided to get married on may 6th!! I am hoping for at least one bear to be out while I am down there. you will be looking at around $2500 for just the air taxi from Kodiak to the hunting area. I have read and heard that other hunters put in at Karluk lake and float but there is a lot of hiking inland to see where the bears are at. I will definitely post how things go when I get back and I should have a lot more info on the area.

Bears will be out. Usually around the 15th is when sightings start
    To get pretty consistent. Your time frame is great. A lot will depend on how the spring thaws go. Not sure if there are weather cameras
    In karluk or not. I watch the closest weather camera to my camp all winter to keep tabs on how the spring is going and how the deer are doing based off the snow levels.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter4811 View Post
    depending on the weather I am looking at flying in to lake 445. it is close to the hills and far enough away from the private native land. if the lake is frozen it looks like seven mile beach will be where I hunt. I have been in talks with Andrews air and seahawk air and both are very informative and costs the same to fly out to this area. I am planning on hunting April 17th thru the end of April. My daughter decided to get married on may 6th!! I am hoping for at least one bear to be out while I am down there. you will be looking at around $2500 for just the air taxi from Kodiak to the hunting area. I have read and heard that other hunters put in at Karluk lake and float but there is a lot of hiking inland to see where the bears are at. I will definitely post how things go when I get back and I should have a lot more info on the area.
    Thanks for the info! I was looking at 7 mile beach, but I still have some time to plan and save some $$ for the trip. Hopefully you get one. Congrats on your daughters wedding.

DW and I have the DB246 for this spring (2017). Currently planning on going in at the portage and rafting down the river, will probably end up in the lower end assuming the rafting is not too difficult. We're going in (weather permitting) on April 27th.