Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seward Silvers ??

Default Seward Silvers ??

Anyone seeing/catching any Silvers out of Seward yet? I know it is a bit early but most runs have been early this year.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

It's not that early, most years you can find silvers by the third week of June.

Should be showing up soon.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thay is what I have been saying too about the 3rd week of june.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also looking for a report on silvers out of Seward. We have family in June 27 - July 7 and they would like to charter for Seward silvers. We usually go for silvers in August so I wasn't sure if it was realistic to get Seward silvers this early.

Always find silvers in seward somewhere by the 4th of july.

Quote Originally Posted by mlite View Post
    I'm also looking for a report on silvers out of Seward. We have family in June 27 - July 7 and they would like to charter for Seward silvers. We usually go for silvers in August so I wasn't sure if it was realistic to get Seward silvers this early.
    Wait until the end of that time frame and book a trip. Had one of the best days of silver fishing ever on June 26 four years ago.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

They were in very good that year at the end of June. We bonked a pile of em!

Just went to Seward for the first time this past weekend. Where do people fish down there if you don't have a boat? I've read about fishing from shore but not sure where to fish if I ever make it there again.

If you don't have a boat then you hit the early run on the river or wait until a bit later in the fall and snag silvers out by the culvert.

Talked with the people at Miller's Landing, they allow that they started catching silvers several days ago. We are booked for a half day charter on the 2nd.

The culvert?

As you go down to millers landing you can't miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    The culvert?
    The culverts you are looking for is in front of the gazillion motor homes parked on the beach. Its about 1/2 mile south of the breakwater around the small boat harbor.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

We camped in a tent at Waterfront Park. That's probably in the area you are referring to.

Did a half day charter with Miller's Landing on Saturday July 2nd. We fished from the northwest side of the Cheval Narrows south into the narrows. There were 4 of us fishing over a 3 hour period. (Lots of other boats fishing the same area, very few hook ups.) We caught 5 fish and hooked about 3 that never made it to the boat. It wasn't until we got back to the dock and the captain began filleting that he realized we had 1 silver and 4 pinks. When the fish were caught my husband questioned whether they were pinks but unfortunately the captained (and the rest of us) miss identified the fish. I caught the silver and if my memory serves correctly, I was down about 65 feet. I do remember the pinks were all caught at about 45 to 30 ft. I know in the rivers the silvers are always below the pinks, does anyone know if this holds true for the salt????

How do you misidentify humpies vs silvers? Were they young/small ones with no hump? Paranoia's going to kick in now...

Quote Originally Posted by hobobandy View Post
    How do you misidentify humpies vs silvers? Were they young/small ones with no hump? Paranoia's going to kick in now...
    Pinks in the salt are every bit as bright as a silver. It isn't until the pinks begin spawning out (after they enter the rivers) that they begin to take on the distinctive "humpy" appearance. (BTW, the pinks had a lot of sea lice, which, of course, indicates they are still salt water fresh.) As far as size, yes, the pinks were smaller than the one silver caught however both my husband and I agreed that we have caught smaller silvers before so size was not determining factor. The ADF&G has a good explanation of how to identify a pink, next time I will look for the size of scales (silvers larger scales, pinks smaller scales) and also inside the mouth and teeth where the silver has white at the base of the teeth.

Interesting, last year the pinks I caught (prob spawning) were also more green than the silvers. Good to know thanks! (heading to Seward today lol)

Quote Originally Posted by hobobandy View Post
    Interesting, last year the pinks I caught (prob spawning) were also more green than the silvers. Good to know thanks! (heading to Seward today lol)
    The tails are also pretty distinctly different. Silvers have a bright silver patch that covers much of the tail. Pinks have large dots on their tail and back, though they can be tough to discern when they're bright in the salt. Look for those large dots on the tails, though - they're the solid sign that you have a pink. On a side note, ocean-fresh pinks are totally decent eating. They don't freeze for long periods of time as well as other salmon, but they're great fresh and also are fine canned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast