Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Budget" Ultra lightweight rifle

Default "Budget" Ultra lightweight rifle

So I am trying to put together a pretty decent ultralight rifle for a reasonable amount of money. As I am from Canada guns and accessories are pretty highly priced here and I dont really want to spend 5-6000 on a ultra light. I am going to purchase a Remington 700 Mountain SS in 7mm-08 and top it off with a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36 with talley lightweight rings. My plan is to try to make this rifle 6-6.5lbs scoped and loaded with ammo. First thing I am doing is replacing the B&C stock with a Wildcat Composite stock. Will also add an alloy shroud. Is there any other things I could do or replace for half cheap that would cut down on weight? Thanks, Trevor.

Not sure what the bottom metal is in the mountain SS? But if it's not alluminum, you could replace it with one that is from Pacific tool and gauge

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

The easiest replacement would be to start with a Kimber. I would bet once you buy the rifle and stock it, you'll be into a Mountain rifle more than the Kimber off the shelf, and still be heavier, and doubtful it will shoot any better/worse. I'm sure some will poo poo the idea. I have a couple Mountain rifles that haven't been out for a hunt in about 4 years.

^^^ This. I have two and they both shoot lights out. Lightweight, accurate, CRF, three position safety, and won't put to big of a dent in your wallet.
    If you're looking for something even cheaper and don't mind a little bit more of a weight penalty, the Tikka T3's are also known to be very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if the kimbers are considered budget.... The tika lite is half the cost, and looks to be the same weight as the Montana?

I have been more than happy with the last 3 Kimbers I have bought. Kimber has a new rifle this year called the "Hunter" Made to compete with the tika in price range.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/shot...-hunter-rifle/
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

For me to purchase a Kimber in Nova Scotia where I'm located it would cost me about 2500-3000 bare rifle. The 700 980$ big difference

Edit I never seen the Kimber hunter. I will look into it but I'm a big 700 fan. Never shot or known anyone who had a Kimber. Maybe it's time for that to change and the price point is just a bit more then the 700 I was looking at

Before buying a Kimber rifle, do an online search for Kimber Montana problems or something like that. Bring a big drink and something to eat if you plan to read all of the different complaints at one sitting.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Was on the Kimber site looking at them, being a 700 fan I cant switch now. Still will be going with the Mountain SS

Tikka and Kimber are about impossible to beat right out of the box. Just my 2 cents, but why get a Remington and muck around to make it weigh what they already do?

Brett

TIKKA....
    Can't go wrong, I've Never seen one or heard of one that did not function flawlessly and lived up to the 1/2 MOA guarantee.

My son has a 270 and 223 - we're now looking at a 338 but he says a 270 is all he needs!

Default What do yo consider a light weight and affordable rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Mack11 View Post
    Was on the Kimber site looking at them, being a 700 fan I cant switch now. Still will be going with the Mountain SS
    I do not consider a Remington 700 an Ultra-lite weight rifle and in-fact if Remington is your standard I would buy a model 783 which in my opinion is a much better action than the 700 as most of the 788 I have owned have been tack drivers which the the 783 is the new and improved version with pillar bedding and and the new adjustable savage trigger on a light mold injected stock. In the United States you can buy them in all the standard calibers including 7 and 300 magnums for $288.00. Now for me an ultra lite weight is a titanium bolt and action with a carbon wrapped barrel such as Christensen Arms offers and you start out at around three grand US dollars and go up quick. By the time you get it scoped with the trimmings you are going to 3.5 grand if you are kind to Santa Claus. The Kimber I have is a 52 Winchester clone .22 and it is a good rifle and I can't tell you much about the T3 as I have not owned or worked on one yet and that maybe a plus for them. Just my two bits.....Big

Default "Budget" Ultra lightweight rifle

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Before buying a Kimber rifle, do an online search for Kimber Montana problems or something like that. Bring a big drink and something to eat if you plan to read all of the different complaints at one sitting.
    It's my personal belief that most of the folks having issues with their Kimber not shooting well has more to do with the fact that those individuals don't shoot Kimber's well. They do have thin barrels and expecting them to be accurate after shooting a half a dozen or more rounds back to back and not allowing the barrel to cool is a mistake. Also, a lot of people whether they are willing to admit it or not, just aren't very good at handling ultra lightweight rifles, especially in magnum calibers. I'll take this .300 wsm's weight and accuracy any day of the week.

If anybody has a Kimber Montana that "isn't accurate" and they would like to let it go for cheap, give me a holler.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    If anybody has a Kimber Montana that "isn't accurate" and they would like to let it go for cheap, give me a holler.

Not sure what you consider cheap, but why would anybody sell something for less than fair market (i.e., what they can get) no matter how bad it is? Make me an offer on a 300wsm.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

a regular tikka t3 is at 6.3lbs i think, then the superlite from cableas is 6 even. If it were me, that's where i would start, then a swaro Z3 scope. done

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    a regular tikka t3 is at 6.3lbs i think, then the superlite from cableas is 6 even. If it were me, that's where i would start, then a swaro Z3 scope. done
    I would start with the tikka and then move on to losing the extra weight off my gut.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

+1 for the Tikka ImageUploadedByTapatalk1466109228.825947.jpg

Although I'm also fairly partial to the Winchester Model 70 featherweight. 1/2 lb more than the tikka but 10lbs more class ImageUploadedByTapatalk1466109390.104563.jpg

It wouldn't hurt to look into the Sako A7 IMO. I've got one in .308 and it drives tacks ( 5 shots sub moa @ 100 / 3.5" group @ 400 yards). Topped with Swaro Z3 it is the lightest, most accurate, long range hunting rifle I have ever depended on. They are similar to the Tikkas since both are manufactured by Baretta or something of the sort... My dad has a T3 with a fluted barrel and he loves it. It shoots very well also. I've brought my A7 on every hunt for the past few years, one being a 70+ mile sheep hunt on foot in some very nasty weather and it never let me down. One shot one kill every time. The biggest thing is practice and having confidence in your rifle so you make the shot count when your only presented with one....

Thanks for the input folks. Will be going with the Remington hence the budget I have for this. Looking to do this as a little project seeing what all I can do to make a lightweight rifle instead of buying a super light rifle. Maybe some day I'll bring myself to buy a gun that's a couple grand but gun prices in Canada are a bit ridiculous. Kimber starts at about 2500 and the sako a7 about 2300. Can get a 700 for just under a grand and then play around with parts to see what I can do. Thanks again

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast