Thread: Halibut by Kayak?

Talking Halibut by Kayak?

So, I am in Cordova for the summer, poor me! I know, right?! Any who... I would like to venture out and try to catch myself a halibut, I have a Kayak, but I also have a 16 foot inflatable. I know I have to be careful. But thats not my post. What I really want to know is if there are any folks on here that have caught halibut from a Kayak? I read a couple stories, out from Homer. I just want to hear more stories. Not asking for spots of course, just want to hear about it.

I will use the Zodiac too, but its about the darn same if you ask me. And if I do hook a good one, I will probably have to tow the sucker into shore to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ernurse View Post
    So, I am in Cordova for the summer, poor me! I know, right?! Any who... I would like to venture out and try to catch myself a halibut, I have a Kayak, but I also have a 16 foot inflatable. I know I have to be careful. But thats not my post. What I really want to know is if there are any folks on here that have caught halibut from a Kayak? I read a couple stories, out from Homer. I just want to hear more stories. Not asking for spots of course, just want to hear about it.

I will use the Zodiac too, but its about the darn same if you ask me. And if I do hook a good one, I will probably have to tow the sucker into shore to deal with it.
    Definitely happens and its getting pretty popular. In fact there is a kayak only halibut derby this Saturday June 18th at Whiskey Gulch in South Central Alaska. 36 participants registered so far!

I think the only real issue is when I hear "I have a kayak." I typically think of Sit inside touring kayaks. Can be done but its definitely MUCH easier off a sit on top kayak. If you have a sit inside touring kayak, it can still be done, but if you are inexperienced, you may want to consider some type of outrigger or flotation on the sides to keep you from flipping over.

I have an amateurish site for kayak fishing that talks a little bit about how we do it here in South-central Alaska at: https://sites.google.com/site/kayakf...e-prey/halibut

I have quite a few more halibut from a kayak videos at: https://www.youtube.com/guidesak

Give us reports of your kayak accessible fishing and you might see some kayekers do the ferry commute to join you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

my Ski buddy just got back from Kodiak on his... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CDPP5eBa5U
    21' Koffler skiff
    Chicken of the Ski
    AK4735AB
    MMSI# 338155006

Looks like I will be making it out next week! I will post my report when I get back.

PS--great video!

Quote Originally Posted by ernurse View Post

Do a search on "Kardinal 84".......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!