Thread: Swanson River-Captain Cook

Default Swanson River-Captain Cook

How is the water level on the Swanson?
    Was thinking of floating from Swanson R. Campgrond to Captain cook Rec. area. This weekend maybe. Anyone float this stretch?
    Water level high enough?

Default swanson river levels

the swanson river is normal for early july with fairly low water levels. you can paddle most of the way, with a few places you will need to get out and walk along with your canoe at the lower portion of the river.
    the lilly pads are getting thick along the route, and paddling thru these cause some resistance.
    It is normal for Mosquito's this year with some areas having very few and others with moderate amounts of skeeters.
    A group came out 2 days ago from my place. they rented a canoe trailer to do the shuttle of 8 canoes from Capt cook.
    I recommend only using Coleman or Pelican poly type canoes. The Swanson river is hard on any glass or Kevlar type canoes.
    good luck and just enjoy getting out for a weekend. Its a great time if you have a good attitude..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thanks max, Is there any type of shuttle rig service or you have to bring two?

Default capt cook

the Swanson river trip is alot of fun, but the shuttle from the put in to the take out is about 70 miles one way.
    the river its self is about 27 miles long, but getting out to capt cook in a car is a long drive.
    I have heard of some vandalism at the capt cook parking area where the folks park to head out to Gray cliff etc. A guy got the tires on his 4 wheeler trailer stolen last week, and a window busted out of anouther car. This is random I think, but I don't like it when I hear this kind of stuff, because it is usually some local kids that will continue this crap until someone catches them and then it will stop for a while..
    I have never had much trouble with folks parking rigs out at the canoe trail head though... Oh yeah,, we had a guy get his canoe stolen from the parking area about 5 years ago,, but really no problems in recent times.
    The ideal thing would be to have someone meet you at capt cook when you come out at the canoe landing. That is not always easy though...
    We do offer a shuttle service for drop off and pickup for the swanson river trip. You just leave your car at our secure site and we take you and your canoes to the drop off point, and pick you up at capt cook when you tell us to meet you there.
    No you don't have to rent canoes or stuff from us. We just offer the services for what ever people need in the canoe trail system.
    I suggest at least one night on the trip, as you will have at least 12 to 13 hours of real paddling time on the river.
    Not a lot of great camping spots along the way, so you will need to watch for the few places that offer a good dry flat area.
    at one time I marked with pink paint a rock about mid way of the trip so you could tell when you got about half way,, but that paint is long gone..lol
    anyway.. just ask if you have any questions about the canoe system.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com