Thread: Atv tracks

Default Atv tracks

Hi ,I have a Yamaha 450 and am thinking about getting a set of tracks for it primarily for late season hunting here in Alberta.
    I can't find anyone to give me the straight goods,so is there anyone on this forum who can set me on the right track so to speak. Are they worth it?
    The Tatoo 4s says they will work on anything 300cc and bigger because they gear them differently for smaller machines. Has a 450 got enough jam to pull with tracks? I know it will cut my speed back, but I' m not looking for speed, just utility. I have power steering, and I understand the problems of crossing logs and getting the leading edge of the track hung up but other than that how do they work in the bush.I'msure some trappers up there have some experience with them ,any advise would be truly appreciated .
    thank you
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 06-13-2016 at 20:41.

What is the purpose of going to tracks? Boggy ground I assume. The light 450 with tracks will float well over any vegetation covered ground. Power will not be an issue. Muddy, rutted trails will be more of a problem as it requires power to push thru these spots.

Actually it's more for deep snow.some places we have 2 or more feet of snow that has melted and froze and of course the deep snow comes before freeze up,so lots of mud underneath

I'd find a fan cooled snowmobile. You should be able to come up with a good used one for half the cost of Tatou tracks.

The little 450 will struggle in the snow conditions you describe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Several years ago I had a set of tracks for my CanAm 400, which I used in the snow.

Your 450 will have enough power to use the tracks, unless you get into high altitude or steep terrain. However, regardless of what manufacturers say, in real life tracks are going to cut your speed and fuel range in half.

Tracks will make your ATV ride much rougher than it does on tires.

A tracked ATV is significantly wider that a snowmobile, so you may not be able to follow many snowmobile trails through the woods.
    When it comes to snow, tracks work best on settled (i.e., Spring) snow. If you lose momentum in light powder snow, when you try to get going again, the tracks have a tendency to all dig down into the snow at the same time, leaving you high centered across the entire surface of your skid plate. You have no idea what stuck really is until you get a tracked ATV stuck!

Will you be climbing any significant hills? With a snowmobile, you use horsepower to blast yourself up the hill. Since an ATV has significantly less horsepower than a snowmobile, you have to use torque. Going up a long and steep hill on a tracked ATV, you start off in high gear and whatever speed you can conger up, and with that smaller motor, eventually losing speed. So you have to stop part-way up the hill, shift to low gear, and hope that the tracks will get you going again (see my previous comments on settled versus powder snow).

A tracked ATV does not sidehill anywhere near as well as a snowmobile. It also weighs quite a bit more. Tracks will add several hundred pounds to the overall weight of your ATV.

However, when compared to most snowmobiles, you have a lot more storage space on a tracked ATV, and you probably have a winch at your disposal as well.

When it comes to going in reverse, tires work much better than tracks (either ATV tracks or a snowmobile). The tracks have a tendency to dig down when reversing.

I bought and ran a set of tracks for my Ranger 700 XP for about a year...

What I found is that the tracks get much better traction just as advertised....

But they also ate my suspension, A arms, bushings, tie rod ends, and steering gear!

Bottom line, they out perform tires hands down, however they will wear your machine out 10 times faster! I'm now back to tires and looking at a snow machine for the snow.