Thread: My new boat and the copper river

Default My new boat and the copper river

I recently bought a 16 foot crestliner aluminum hull with a 20hp Johnson tiller control with a prop. I have a spare 15hp evinrude. I was thinking about using it to ferry myself to a dipnet spot on the Copper River. I have the permit for south of the bridge. I plan on keeping it slow and avoiding obvious water hazards. Any one on here with copper river experience have any advice for me? It would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks.

I grew up on that river, and you'd never see me anywhere near it with less than a 50 horse, and ideally a 115 jet.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

What twarrior said, its no place to fool around with under powered or marginal equipment.
    A few years back we were down across from Haley creek and there was a large group with a small boat, dont recall the size but it was minimal. In any case it was the end of the day on Sunday and they decided to leave and needed to make several trips to get everyone out. We were drifting right there and could watch his progress up through the canyon. He left and made it quite a ways but eventually had to turn around and drop off some weight, he did this several times. On his last trip back I knew he was going to need help as he had burned up fuel and hopefully had enough to get back to the landing.

It was late and not much activity on the river, we took his coolers full of fish and several big guys, and then waited till he made it out. I found out I coudnt get on step. and not sure if I had enough fuel to return as it was our last trip as well. We hauled the coolers and the gear and took the two passenger across to Haley, its a few miles to walk, they were healthy and it was a nice day.

ON another day we towed a boat that quit just north of the bridge, I think later that trip someone wrapped a green boat around the bridge supports.

I have known two people to die in that river, it deserves respect.

I personally would not go out on the south side of the bridge in the craft you describe. If you had spent plenty of time and know the river......maybe.

People do go out quite often on the north side with props, when I have dipped there I have run a jet but its certainly manageable by a experienced river-man with a prop. Sound like you have the wrong permit for that side.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

We used to run a 15 foot inflatable with a 30 horse jet. It was enough to get us going up river from O'Brien Creek towards the bridge (barely), but we never risked going downstream to fish with that set up. We would usually have to barge it back downstream because of the weight with the fish. I wouldn't recommend a prop on that river, even if you had enough horsepower, and I certainly wouldn't recommend going under powered.

Default My new boat and the copper river

You be the judge but this above bridge dipping tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    You be the judge but this above bridge dipping tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dang. I just don't need to catch a fish that badly!!!!

They could at least survive the trip to Cordova in that boat.