Thread: Anchorage

Default Anchorage

Hi. Visiting daughter in Anchorage June 19-23. I can use her car one of those days to find a find a stream. and could bring a 5 or 7 wt rod and am experienced here in the Midwest and Montana with drys, streamers, nymphs. Thanks for any suggestions.

Do it. How far do you want to travel that day?

It would be nice not to have to spend the day driving but a couple hour journey is certainly doable.

Plethora of streams within a 2 hour drive. Can even rent waders at local fly shop. Pink salmon might be in Hope, 2 hour drive, and readily accessible. 5 or 7 more than adequate. Lots of stocked lakes everywhere. Have fun.

Thanks, that helps.

Way too early for pinks. 7 weight will throw anything you need to and can handle reds on the upper russian, big streamers, and good size trout. I would highly recommend a guide. For $200-250 the guesswork on where to go, what to use, whether or not fish will be there, is all gone. Terrific trout fishing is available on the Parks Hwy, and the Upper Kenai is less than 2 hrs from Anchorage. King salmon are near their peak right now on the Susitna, so a morning trip on the Deshka can be terrific. Won't be a fly fishing trip with most guides, but will certainly be worthwile.

Thank you.

When you buy your license at Mossy's Fly Shop, they will point you in the right direction. I would vote for the Parks Highway. Willow Creek or any of the blue lines nearby should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by roryseiter View Post
    When you buy your license at Mossy's Fly Shop, they will point you in the right direction. I would vote for the Parks Highway. Willow Creek or any of the blue lines nearby should be good.
    Will do. Thanks.