Thread: Well, kings?

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Well, kings?

The Bakers arrived at about 930ish via Island airs Mail plane this morning to Old Harbor, we trolled a spot and no more than 5 minutes we had our first king! after a couple more passes we move to a second spot and landed a couple more. We trolled up some small halibut and released em. Why not jig there? we did and Mr Baker landed a good eater. Not bad for the first day of a Kodiak Combo!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Excellent! Unless I'm reading it wrong, they're scattered down there like here. Nice size, too!

We're finding them, but in onesy twoseys and a lot of water between the spots. Water here is so clear we can easily see bottom in 25'-30', so the plankton is really thin or missing. Not so much bait either as a result.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Same observation here, where ever there is bait there are millions of pollock.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Excellent! Unless I'm reading it wrong, they're scattered down there like here. Nice size, too!

We're finding them, but in onesy twoseys and a lot of water between the spots. Water here is so clear we can easily see bottom in 25'-30', so the plankton is really thin or missing. Not so much bait either as a result.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Same observation here, where ever there is bait there are millions of pollock.
    Aaaargh!!!!! Seems like most of my "king" fishing is mostly pollack ducking right now. Funny, but they're kind of in two layers. You find a bunch (usually the bigger ones for some reason) in the top 10-15' of water, and the real numbers but smaller size starting right at 40-45' and from there down to about 90' where the cod really take over. The polack start thinning when water depth gets shallower than 45', but you don't really get out of them until you're inside 25' of water. Not coincidentally, most of our kings are coming from water less than 40'. Seems like they're sick of the pollack, too!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Pollock are finning on the surface eating something very small plankton? krill? whatever the small stuff is its getting the pollock to fin and feed on top, . Water is clear here too, halibut were biting everywhere we dropped hooks friday, then saturday they gone shallower. Glad rock fish are hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Aaaargh!!!!! Seems like most of my "king" fishing is mostly pollack ducking right now. Funny, but they're kind of in two layers. You find a bunch (usually the bigger ones for some reason) in the top 10-15' of water, and the real numbers but smaller size starting right at 40-45' and from there down to about 90' where the cod really take over. The polack start thinning when water depth gets shallower than 45', but you don't really get out of them until you're inside 25' of water. Not coincidentally, most of our kings are coming from water less than 40'. Seems like they're sick of the pollack, too!
    www.kodiakcombos.com

The number of 1# to 5# halibut we're seeing promises good things for the future. In places they're as numerous and bothersome as the pollack! Hooked one trolling halfway down in 20' of water, and when it came up there were about a dozen more chasing along with it trying to grab the herring still in its mouth. Neat!
    Merle Haggard

I WISH we had some clear water - we have a real plankton bloom going down here in northern SE's inside waters. Your wires and releases are covered with brown slime in no time. We don't seem to have a shortage of pollack here, either. . .they are "layered' much the same as in BB's description. The King fishing is great out on the ocean shores (Cross Sound and Sitka Sound), but on the inside waters - not so much.

Ya, Pollock have been a pain, and kings while numerous have been small this year, seems most are in that 10-20lb class. On a different note, there was a 10lb coho come down the dock yesterday, and I was watching pinks do the pinky flop yesterday while I was on anchor.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Wow, no pinks here yet, pollock are thinning out, king showed up again 6 in couple hours, I saw a lot of bugs in the water thought I was sooting up but glad it was bugs, what the heck are those bugs? Never saw this king of swarm before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Ya, Pollock have been a pain, and kings while numerous have been small this year, seems most are in that 10-20lb class. On a different note, there was a 10lb coho come down the dock yesterday, and I was watching pinks do the pinky flop yesterday while I was on anchor.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I saw a lot of bugs in the water thought I was sooting up but glad it was bugs, what the heck are those bugs? Never saw this king of swarm before.
    Are you talking about black land bugs that look a lot like flying ants about half an inch long?

That's what we've had up here for the last week, thinning now. So many of them that when they settled on the grass in the evenings they turned the stalks black. Looked like soot all over our front yard (we're right on the water).

Notta clue what they are and never seen them in such swarms. Good thing they don't bite!

As for pinks, there were a handful in this week's ADF&G landing report, so they're on the way.
    Merle Haggard

Those dang bugs are so thick up on Pillar that they turned my service truck black last time I was working on a wind turbine...

I had pinks playing all around me on anchor yesterday as well. The halibut didn't seem to mind them though
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Good news on the pinks and the halibut!

Best news is those bugs die out after a very few days. Sure wish I knew what they are though. I've never seen them like that in 40 years on The Rock.
    Merle Haggard

I was just outside your hunting grounds so those pinks should be on the end of your line soon....
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

We do a sort of family celebration/ritual every June 21 and usually manage to catch a few from the beach for a campfire dinner, so it sounds like they're right on schedule. That's good news. Thanks!
    Merle Haggard

Default double in the middle

seems we are getting back to "normal" massive bait, darker water, whales, kings! plus the halibut our trolling gear. Nothing seems to eat those bugs, not even gulls. Gulls usually eat anything hitting the water. I usually dont have any luck dropping trolling gear out in the middle, even with birds feeding but this looked good! gulls were spread out a vast area picking up cripples, I told the guys to set one down rigger and wham! then we set two and scored a double!
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Kings at POW. Daily two fish Limits.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    Kings at POW. Daily two fish Limits.
    Nice fish, how many are you guys allowed this year? 6 I heard?
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

...darker water, whales, kings!
    Same here! I could see humpbacks well offshore, and since it was flat calm my sea sick-prone wife agreed to go for a look. I could see a bait layer down at 240 and nothing above, so I figured why not. Deepest I've ever set since getting electric riggers 5 years back, and happy not to be hand cranking! First rigger down hooked up immediately. Simply couldn't get a second rigger down that far before the first hooked up. No pics, but decent 15-20# fish. We lost one and landed 4 just about as quick as you could get a single rigger down to them. We trolled less than a quarter mile with only one rigger at work, and it was time to go home.

Still nothing to speak of back near shore, but the bait, whales and kings were certainly thick offshore.
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Nice fish, how many are you guys allowed this year? 6 I heard?
    That is correct. 28" minimum so we had around 4-5 shakers over the 3 days my two buds and I fished out of Craig not far from Cape Addington but far enough away to avoid the pesky sea lions. We all bagged 6 each, plus halibut and rockfish and lingcod.

I had a sea lion snag a keeper halibut by the tail and I managed to yank it free 3 times before he bit down hard across the belly and shook the head clean off. I reeled in the head.

Good trip. Might go back in the fall for the Coho run.

Spent a couple of hours on the water this morning before getting blown off.

Really happy to report that the plankton blooms have started, and the bait appears to be showing up. In places where we could see bottom in 30-40' of water, you can't see a downrigger ball 10' below you.

Picked up a couple of kings in just the right places in 8-10' of water, so maybe it's finally starting to happen. Fingers crossed!
    Merle Haggard