Thread: How long to hunt after a bear has been taken?

Default How long to hunt after a bear has been taken?

How long do you guys let your bait stand sit after harvesting a bear? Do they get spooked after one of their buddies gets shot and steer clear for awhile? It was with a bow so not a lot of noise. A friend took a bear today and I'm looking to get out there myself now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for it! We've killed bears 24 hours apart before and we chose to sit evenings. Didn't have a cam back then so didn't know exact times they were hitting. Just gotta go for it

A buddy sent me this picture from a hunt last week. 2 hours between bears
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Immediately. We killed 2 blackies off the same bait 90 minutes apart. The first bear was laying 40 feet from the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by normK View Post
    A buddy sent me this picture from a hunt last week. 2 hours between bears
    Is it common for Black Bear to feed in the presence of Grizzlies? I am from Iowa so am asking because I'm clueless. Also I believe I have read where it's not uncommon for Grizzlies to prey on Blackies. If all of this is true then you are hunting in a very hairy(pun intended) situation. Are you alowed to carry side arms when bow hunting in Alaska? We are not allowed to carry handguns in much of the lower 48 during bow hunts but then most of the lower 48 isn't bear infested either.....kinda wish it were.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Is it common for Black Bear to feed in the presence of Grizzlies? I am from Iowa so am asking because I'm clueless. Also I believe I have read where it's not uncommon for Grizzlies to prey on Blackies. If all of this is true then you are hunting in a very hairy(pun intended) situation. Are you alowed to carry side arms when bow hunting in Alaska? We are not allowed to carry handguns in much of the lower 48 during bow hunts but then most of the lower 48 isn't bear infested either.....kinda wish it were.
    Where the state has dictated that it is a certified bow hunt only then no, you aren't allowed to have a firearm on you. But you can have a firearm on you when hunting with a bow during rifle season.

Sure, brown bears have been known to kill and eat blackies, and vice versa. And no, it's not common for blacks and brown to eat together, but it also has been known to happen. In fact somebody here recently posted a pic of the two together on a bait sight...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Per the bow hunt safety course, the instructors there said you are authorized to carry a side arm while bow hunting even if you are hunting a bow hunting only area. You cannot however use that side arm to dispatch an animal. Bow hunt only area you have to use another arrow. The side arm is for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson5 View Post
    Per the bow hunt safety course, the instructors there said you are authorized to carry a side arm while bow hunting even if you are hunting a bow hunting only area. You cannot however use that side arm to dispatch an animal. Bow hunt only area you have to use another arrow. The side arm is for safety.

This is also how I've always understood this, but I can't recall seeing the actual law...4merguide could you point me to your source?
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I do appreciate everyone's input though on this thread. Glad to hear I can get right back out there and hunt.

I've been in stands when bears were killed 20 minutes apart.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    This is also how I've always understood this, but I can't recall seeing the actual law...4merguide could you point me to your source?
    As far as I've known it has been the reg. for many years, but may have changed as I haven't kept up on it. Better call F&G I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    As far as I've known it has been the reg. for many years, but may have changed as I haven't kept up on it. Better call F&G I guess....
    A perfect example of why it is better to keep quiet and post nothing if you don't really know the answer to the question.

We have killed them within hours of each other. I have had a bear eating on the butchered carcass of one only a few hours old. Doesn't matter if you shot off a cannon.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I always pack a side arm when bow hunting. The only time I had to use it was when a cow moose charged me. She turned away with the warning shot, and came around for another pass. I was ready to hose her, but she didn't charge that time, although her ears were back and she was literally pawing the ground.
    I have had to head shoot at least 2 bull moose I can think of with my bow to finish them off. An arrow right in the forehead is as good as a shot from a firearm. You need to be standing right over them though.

Per the bow hunt safety course, the instructors there said you are authorized to carry a side arm while bow hunting even if you are hunting a bow hunting only area.
    .....And the instructors would be right. You'll have to forgive me as I did call F&G myself this morn and did confirm that you can indeed carry a firearm even on an archery only hunt. MANY years ago I either read, or was told that you couldn't, and although at the time I remember thinking it was a silly rule, and also seeing that I'm not a bow hunter, I really had no reason to doubt it. Again, sorry, my mistake....

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    A perfect example of why it is better to keep quiet and post nothing if you don't really know the answer to the question.
    Hey.....there he is, my #1 fan...!!! I was beginning to think you didn't love me anymore. Well Capt. I thought I did know......right up until I found out that I was wrong. Believe it or not I don't make it a habit of purposely putting out information that I don't know to be true. Do I make mistakes? Sure do. And I've probably been making them since before you were even a glimmer in your momma's eye. Hope it really made your day to catch me at one of them, I mean like I said, seeing that you're such a big fan......

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    .....And the instructors would be right. You'll have to forgive me as I did call F&G myself this morn and did confirm that you can indeed carry a firearm even on an archery only hunt. MANY years ago I either read, or was told that you couldn't, and although at the time I remember thinking it was a silly rule, and also seeing that I'm not a bow hunter, I really had no reason to doubt it. Again, sorry, my mistake....
    Yeah, well back in the day when I took my Archery class, they was so much bull hunky tossed out by the "teacher" that I finally had to call him on some of it. I could give examples and get a few laughs here, but just use your imagination and chuckle anyway.

Back to the original question. I shot a bear many years ago with my bow. There were 2 other adult bears with it when I nailed it. I started tracking and the other 2 were sticking around. One was on each side of me not far away, popping their teeth and grumbling about the entire situation. As I closed in on my bear, it let out that unmistakable death rattle. The other 2 split the scene immediately. I still have the mukluks made from that spring hide.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Yeah, well back in the day when I took my Archery class, they was so much bull hunky tossed out by the "teacher" that I finally had to call him on some of it. I could give examples and get a few laughs here, but just use your imagination and chuckle anyway.
    I can only imagine. Makes me think about when I had to take the hunter safety class again so I could hunt elk in CO. The instructor told us how one time while teaching a class he blew a hole in the wall with his pistol.......