Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to change atv brands any Can-Am Outlander owners

Default I need to change atv brands any Can-Am Outlander owners

Ok so here is the deal after 16 years of running nothing but Yamaha 350's and 450's in my tour business I have to switch brands with a broken heart but for the 2017 no atv company worthwhile is making an atv smaller then a 600 other then Honda or can am. I need a bike that is 450 or 350 anybody own the Can-Am Outlander pros and cons?

Thanks
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    anybody own the Can-Am Outlander pros and cons?

Thanks
    '

I've had an Outlander Max 450 XT since 2011.

Pro- climbs like a goat and the independent suspension makes my old solid axle Rancher look positively crude. Quite a lot of power for a 450 and the "disco-lock" front diff works pretty well in the soupy stuff.

Cons- all those features come with increased mechanical complexity, cost and weight. Forget working on it DIY style for anything more than routine fluid changes.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I can sure understand the broken heart about having to switch from Yamahas, in my experience no machine out there can compare with the dependability and toughness of a Yamaha
    I have 2 Kodiak 450, a Grizzly 700 and a Can-am 800. we ride year round, and every time I or my boys get on em we run em like we stole em, very tough and dependable.
    The Can-am is a nice machine only real set backs is the chipped key, they seem to fail often and are very expensive to replace, also all the other computer crap on them seems to go on the blink at least once a year, and is also very expensive to fix.
    it's the only wheeler I've ever owned that has left me stranded, but it wasn't mechanical problems just computer type problems.
    other than that they compare very nicely with Yamaha.

My mom has the Honda 400 rancher it's a sweet ride and has been very dependable, only set back with it you might have is it's not automatic it's push button shift probably not the best for folks that haven't done much riding.
    also it's a pain to get in reverse it's like the old Kodiaks, you have to twist and hold the reverse switch and downshift till you hit reverse.

One other thing is the Can-am is way!! more snappy than the Honda, you burp the throttle on the Can-am ya better be ready!

If it were me and I had a bunch of inexperienced riders, plus the liability of keeping folks safe I would go with the Honda.

Good luck..

Thanks for the replies Sounds like I'm up Sheep creek without a paddle.Push button shift wont work with the folks I deal with . They have a hard enough time with just a thumb throttle and 1 brake forget trying to teach then to shift gears

Ok so here is the deal after 16 years of running nothing but Yamaha 350's and 450's in my tour business I have to switch brands with a broken heart but for the 2017 no atv company worthwhile is making an atv smaller then a 600 other then Honda or can am. I need a bike that is 450 or 350 anybody own the Can-Am Outlander pros and cons?

Thanks
    I guess Cat fits into that not worthwhile category.

Cat makes a 300, 400, 450, 500 and 550 in the Alterra. They also have the 500 and 550 built for two.

May want to consider them a choice. The new machines are not like Cat of old.

Biggest issues and "THIS IS ACROSS THE BOARD FOR ALL BRANDS" DEALER SUPPORT SUCKS!!!!

I will leave it there. There are a few folks that are happy with their dealers but you will find alot very frustrated with them at some time or another especially here in Alaska.

On Edit: Ever consider some of the smaller SxS's???

Well then I'm happy that I bought a 450 Grizz a couple years ago. Love it...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I guess Cat fits into that not worthwhile category.

Cat makes a 300, 400, 450, 500 and 550 in the Alterra. They also have the 500 and 550 built for two.

May want to consider them a choice. The new machines are not like Cat of old.

Biggest issues and "THIS IS ACROSS THE BOARD FOR ALL BRANDS" DEALER SUPPORT SUCKS!!!!

I will leave it there. There are a few folks that are happy with their dealers but you will find alot very frustrated with them at some time or another especially here in Alaska.

On Edit: Ever consider some of the smaller SxS's???
    CAT said 500 is the smallest they are making for 2017

Thanks for the replies Sounds like I'm up Sheep creek without a paddle.Push button shift wont work with the folks I deal with . They have a hard enough time with just a thumb throttle and 1 brake forget trying to teach then to shift gears
    Honda is building the Rancher 420 with an automatic transmission as well as the manual and electric shift.

I know if I had a rental fleet- that Rancher DCT with the straight rear axle would get a very hard look. Those straight axles ride rough but they're indestructible.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Honda is building the Rancher 420 with an automatic transmission as well as the manual and electric shift.
    Yup yup! There's a switch on the right handle bar that let's you select either automatic or push button manual. I bought the wife one in 2010 and she absolutely loves it. Have had zero issues in her 2500 miles.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Yup yup! There's a switch on the right handle bar that let's you select either automatic or push button manual. .
    Oh great more buttons for people to push on and off after we tell them DONT PUSH THESE BUTTONS LOL!!! I had to take the 4x4 fuses out of my bikes because folks couldn't figure out why the atv was hard to steer

Sorry about that...thought when I looked they were 17's. Can't believe Cat is leaving the Mid size market wide open. The 400's and 450's are very popular in lower 48 for the Teenagers.

Sorry about that...thought when I looked they were 17's. Can't believe Cat is leaving the Mid size market wide open. The 400's and 450's are very popular in lower 48 for the Teenagers.
    I think all brand dealers are trying to put people into the side x sides. As far as Dealers go I have been buying and dealing with Big Lake Yamaha since 1999 when it was just a small 20x20 or so building and the new owners Mike and Susie habe been fabulous to work with I still will be using the Yamaha Viking 6 seaters but wish to heck they made a least the 450 again

How about just buying '16 holdovers......

BTW if that was you out by the Su today it was me that tooted the horn when I went by.

How about just buying '16 holdovers......

BTW if that was you out by the Su today it was me that tooted the horn when I went by.
    Yep that was me Yamaha stopped the 450 and 350s in 2015 I bought all 15 I could find at the time

It's hard to believe that the market for this class of ATV has dried up. The 300-400cc quads are very capable, lightweight and nimble. When I first started riding the biggest ATV on the market had a 400cc. How time changes things.

Anyway, my outlander came with two keys. One provides full power, the other 80%. I've also read they can program a key all the way down to 25%. I'm not sure if the ignition on the 500cc L model is similar to the outlander but if it is the 500 L with the 80% key might suit your needs.

I'd go with the Honda 420 or 475, Rancher, Forman or Rubicon. I own a 420 Rancher and a 475 Rubicon. Not sure where you are riding, the Honda will outlast the Can-Am.

Saw a gray or silver dodge with ATV adventure trailer at Hartley Honda Yesterday. Thinking that was Roger?

Nope not me Im way to busy with tours to be going to town I might just buy a few more 6 seaters

Doesn't POLARIS make a 450 currently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast