Thread: Old salmon for shrimp bait?

Question Old salmon for shrimp bait?

Have a few salmon fillets left over from last season, and we're about to start catching fresh fish.
    Also, planning to go shrimping in a couple weeks, so, I was just wondering . . . . .
    Has anyone mixed salmon with their pellets, in order to make more (better?) shrimp bait

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Default Old salmon for shrimp bait?

Yep, works great. Be careful with the regulations. To my understanding, personal use or commercially caught fish can be used as bait, but sport caught fish cannot.

We've used filleted carcasses, but the results should be similar.

I always save filleted carcasses for bait, they work better than pellets in my opinion and are free. The skins are the best part, they put out the best scent and last a long time.

I add roe to the bait jars and hang salmon heads in the pots. Seems to help, and yes check on legality for edible portions vs. the carcass
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    To my understanding, personal use or commercially caught fish can be used as bait, but sport caught fish cannot.
    Now THAT makes a whole heck of a lot of sense now don't it? I would think a salmon fillet is a salmon fillet no matter how it's caught.....

This must be along the same lines of reason as to how it's legal to snag or scoop em' up in the ocean but heaven forbid the hook is outside in in the rivers...!!!.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!