Thread: 45 long colt in snake charmer

Default 45 long colt in snake charmer

What's the scoop on firing a light factory 45 long colt round from a .410 snake charmer. Just wondering if it's safe. I know many .410 platforms can also fire the 45 long colt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Measure the bore on your .410. If it is tighter than .450, probably best not to do that. Most 410/45 Colt combo guns are marked as such.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

45/.410 combo's are built with 45colt bore. .410 have .410 bore which is caliber not guage
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    45/.410 combo's are built with 45colt bore. .410 have .410 bore which is caliber not guage
    I once had a 410 shotgun that was made by Luthe Hardware Company in Des Moines, Ioway. It was marked 410-44L. I never shot anything but 410 shells in it but am guessing the L stood for Largo which was the Spanish name for 44-40. This makes me think that the 45/410s are overbore for the 410 shell. I did drop a 444 Marlin into that chamber and it fit the chamber real well. I had better sense than to let the hammer fall with one chambered though. Pressures mighta busted it and me too

The chambers on cartridge shotguns are larger than the bore. The chamber is sized for the outside of the shell, while the bore is sized for what's in the shell. A 3" 12 gauge shell will fit into the chamber on a 2 3/4" gun, but the problem is there's no room for the shell to open on firing and get out of the way for the charge that's following.

Easy answer is to mike the bore on a Snake Charmer. I'm betting it's nowhere near .452, even though the 45 round will drop right into the chamber. Good way to lose fingers in my book.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Bet 45=70 will fit also. You can shoot 2 1/2" through a 45/70 but sucks getting plastic from wad out of rifleing. The .410 is a 67 guage in shotgun lingo..
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you