Thread: New Polaris ranger

Default New Polaris ranger

My bro in law picked up a new ranger 900 6 seater last month. With a little over 100 miles on it bam the belt blew at the top of monument. I thought it odd being we were on a pretty mild ride from 4 corners to flat creek then up monument. No real hot rodding or heavy mud. He has it setup with a 2" lift and 28" tires with clutch kit. Nice rig. Is this a common problem with this model? I've been around quads and SxS for years and never have seen one blow a belt. Though I know it can happen. Any thoughts?

The climb up the backside is well over a mile of steady rough climbing, maybe there was a lot of belt slipping, tire hopping, and rock chucking on the way up.

That's what I was kind of thinking as well, but I keep thinking of my (notably lighter prowler) climbing that hill every summer weekend for years and never had a problem with belts. The dealer, I found out today, told him that he should run the machine in low gear and that high gear should only be used if on a dirt/paved road. Doesn't make sense to me.

I have a Polaris 6x6 blow a belt and I said ok things happen blow a anther one so I ask the Dealer they told me the same thing I though to my self why I did some checking and reading on clutch alignment mine was way off I went and took some of the shims off the secondary clutch to get the belt back closer to center so far so good I still Carrie 2 spares

Quote Originally Posted by jbswasilla View Post
    I have a Polaris 6x6 blow a belt and I said ok things happen blow a anther one so I ask the Dealer they told me the same thing I though to my self why I did some checking and reading on clutch alignment mine was way off I went and took some of the shims off the secondary clutch to get the belt back closer to center so far so good I still Carrie 2 spares
    Honestly clutch being out of alignment is not unusual. The dealer telling everyone to run it in low gear without looking at the clutch is all to common.

Rule of thumb for CVT machines....under 35 mph low gear is highly advised.

Belt issues are due to an over heating problem. This can be from a few things such as alignment, slippage and the lack of cooling air thru the housing. Each individual thing or a combination will give the belt fits.

Keeping the machine in low gear below 35 mph will allow a better movement of air thru the clutch housing. Driving at a higher rpm also keeps the clutch engaged a little harder. The higher rpms will also give quicker back shift when the CVT loads up like climbing a hill or a bank.

Just a little food for thought

Could there have been some water in the housing from running down the creek? I know it's not that deep, but sometimes the housings are very badly sealed.

If there was any moisture slippage would be greatly increased.

In stock form all the machines could use a clutch kit to aid in the belt slippage issue, Polaris CVT is not like say Yamaha where the belt is always engaged, therefore there are under the high load of carrying a machine like a 6 seater w/who knows how many people or gear up monument, would put strain on the belt. For hill climbs like monument low is where it's at.

Then again I have a ranger 6x6, and upgrading to the Duraclutch here, these are just the things that came to mind.

I was thinking wet belt as well. We did run down flat creek although the water level was fairly low. It looks like the belt vent intakes a are pretty low too. He was carrying 4 people, not much for gear. Does Polaris make a belt alignment tool? Or aftermarket, any suggestions as I've never had a Polaris. The clutches resemble a snowmobile set up vs my Cat or Yamaha. Low up monument is prolly a good idea but I just don't know about crawling up the lower portion, seems momentum is key there.