Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to harpoon halibut?

Default where to harpoon halibut?

hi all
    where is "the" perfect spot to harpoon.a.halli?

thx larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

In the past I've avoided the belly area. seems awful thin there. but I've come to realize the flesh isn't what holds the head. it seems more the skin. so now I hit the belly. haven't lost a fish yet.

Still, having seen huge gashes the wire causes, especially wither bigger buoys. I use A0 and A1. A2 is too large. I still try to hit closer to the centerline than the edge. you may hit the spine which means the harpoon tip won't penetrate. The good news is when I have hot the spine, it seems to totally immobilize the fish.

So short answer. in the belly more towards the middle than the edges.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

oops...I thought this was the kayak forums. Lol. more experienced powerboats may have a different opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Close to the head or through the gills, hit em hard the first time otherwise they get pissy and dive deep again.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I fish halibut on my long-line, can set 30 hooks and keep 20 a day, so there is a A LOT of action on my boat I learned the hard way that harpoon plugs can come out, its rare but it can happen. With a harpoon even with a successful placement there is a flurry of violent activity. For the past 10 years, if it needs a harpoon, it gets the business end of my .410 snake charmer. Have shot a bunch of halibut with it and there is never any back talk. Quick, non-violent death, as it should be.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Quick, non-violent death, as it should be.
    I'm sorry, that was the laugh I needed today.... I've never heard of shooting something as non-violent. I know what ya mean, it just made me laugh.

Now if you want a lot of fun, stick the harpoon in the tail section

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I'm sorry, that was the laugh I needed today.... I've never heard of shooting something as non-violent. I know what ya mean, it just made me laugh.

Now if you want a lot of fun, stick the harpoon in the tail section

LOL, ya there is a bit of violence there. But not the tail flapping, boat slapping violence that makes you wanna beg for buttermilk.

Default harpoon rig

I have been sticking big butts in PWS since 1994. Prior to the "cluster" in Whittier since the road was put thru, sticker/shooters were plentiful. Haven`t needed to stick/shoot in years. What we did was have a large round buoy-15 feet of rope-poon head. When we stick them we aim for the gill plate so as to bleed them. Toss the buoy and let him run and free spool your reel. When he calms down and before the sharks arrive, bring him to the side of the boat and drop a .410 load/slug behind the left eye. That pretty much takes care of that.

If it's close enough to harpoon, then it's close enough to shoot. Much less hassle and risk to just shoot it and be done with it. Harpoons to the belly can rip through, and harpoons to any other area run the risk of not penetrating far enough to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBayes View Post
    If it's close enough to harpoon, then it's close enough to shoot. Much less hassle and risk to just shoot it and be done with it. Harpoons to the belly can rip through, and harpoons to any other area run the risk of not penetrating far enough to turn.
    Yep. If you are going to shoot after harpoon, just shoot to begin with. My only concern with shooting is making sure I don't shoot the cheeks out of em. And of course not shooting your line, but that's a pretty easy thing to avoid.

thx guys for all the ideas!!...as.far as shotguns, only.have a 12 guage!...lol

...trap loads be ok in that?..its a side by side coach gun/shorty!..

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    ...now I hit the belly.... closer to the centerline than the edge....
    Poked a whole lot of halibut in the last 40 years. Kinda went through the same evolution.

Ever seen a halibut with a load of food on, and just how far that belly will stretch? In my experience that stretching is what you want in order to avoid tearing out. I've seen big violent halibut tear heads with body hits from harpoons tear the head completely through their bodies, but that old stretchy belly just keeps on giving without tearing. Belly is nice and easy to penetrate too. Doesn't take a big hard thrust with two hands to get through. You can get the harpoon tip up right on the spot you want to hit and just give it a sharp one-handed poke and the whole shaft goes through, it's so easy. Never had to hit one hard on a belly hit, and never lost one.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Always aimed for the center of the head right in the gill plates. If u get it through 1 side only its ok, but if u get both gill plates game over. Rarely used the harpoon long lining. Two guys could usually haul the big ones up and let them loose in the cockpit. Really big ones would require three guys and occasionally a harpoon. I don't shoot butts really. Just tie them off on the cleat and bleed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 gauge is fine. Medium caliber pistol may be better though if you have it. Stainless preferred. I aim for 1" behind the "top" eye.

My first experience with halibut began by fishing from the Rocks on Adak in 1965. We used mainly pistols (22 - 357 ) to give the bigger butts a sedative. Later from the mainland I learned about harpoons and bouys, I learned that folks tied big ones off to a rear cleat to let it "soak" and Bleed out. About the mid 80's I learned about 410 snake charmers. 22's were okay, except if you missed the "sweet spot" you'd have one very unhappy 'butt ripping line off, and could struggle for a very long time before you got her into the boat. a 38 would probably be a better pistol to use. Harpoons and bouys you should have at least two rigged up. In the very early 90's I acquired a beautiful 410 snake charmer and it was really the easiest, quickest way (IMHO) to give a big 'butt a sedative before you hauled her aboard or tied her off to a cleat to "soak".

.410 bang stick that the gator hunters use. Pop them while a few inches under water, no splash and everyone keeps their ear drums.

Or just be like the commercial guys and give them a good whack with the gaff handle. Maybe shark hook a big one. Oh wait, I forgot, supposed to let the big ones go.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    .410 bang stick that the gator hunters use. Pop them while a few inches under water, no splash and everyone keeps their ear drums.

Or just be like the commercial guys and give them a good whack with the gaff handle. Maybe shark hook a big one. Oh wait, I forgot, supposed to let the big ones go.
    Read top of page 6 of regs. Can't use a bang stick no more!

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Ya, but all that tail slapping in the water on the poon makes for a good show too.

Just make sure he's dead before you slap him in the boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Here a screen shot of page 6.

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

So we can still shoot them then it appears??

I poon em and then hit em with a .45LC bear slug. It makes for good memories with friends and I must say that I LIKE it! Unfortunately, I don't get to do it very often........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast