Thread: Interesting study by UAA

welfare state of Alaska

Default Interesting study by UAA

Just range across this one. It looks interesting for a number of reasons including that it is address some of the questions on behavior that apparently haven't been studied before.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Have not seen their model but we tried to do this back in the 90's. No way to predict when fish will come to the river. Once at the mouth one can try to back calculate from the counter but it is difficult as migration times change during the season. So I doubt their model is very accurate out in the inlet and may get better in-river. Will have to see how what assumptions they made. For example, I doubt they took into consideration that fish hold in the inlet for up to two weeks before moving to the river early in the season and move through in only a couple of days latter in the season. Modeling that behavior from catch data is very difficult if not impossible. Using the OTF program is not great but all one has for entry into the inlet but that program was not designed for daily run timing estimates but more of an average.

Also, local staff participated in a workshop on human actions vs abundance and the moderators did not even have commercial fishing on the agenda as a social impact. When asked they were told that no one brought it up at a previous meeting. Staff was not impressed. But again we have to see the final product. When one says generic model one has to be suspect.

Interesting part about "flaring" and instability in the run. I wonder how much this has to do with short-term timing like what day of the week the fish show up? The majority of sport/pu effort is on the weekends, and if the large pulse of fish show in the river on a Monday rather than a Saturday, would this show as instability rather than bad timing on the part of the humans? There have been several recent years where this has been the case, and several years before that where the fish religiously pulsed on weekends. I have a graph somewhere that shows it.

One other point - it looks as if this study was funded (at least in part) through the Chinook Salmon Research Initiative. 80% of the bill for that initiative was applied to Alaska's commercial fisheries. TV, I'm glad you find the research interesting.