Thread: Fishing in Barrow in July

Default Fishing in Barrow in July

Hello, new member here. I will be traveling to Barrow for work for three weeks in July. Avid fisherman both fresh and salt and I have the cargo room to bring some gear. Does anyone have any tips for what I can expect that time of year? Is there any river/lake fishing from shore that I could walk or drive to? Does anyone fish the ocean from the beach? I might also be interested in a guide one day if there is any up there, but I love to explore on my own as well.

Any lures recommended? or any tips in general? It will be my first time in Alaska (I have spent a lot of time above the Arctic circle in Greenland though)

PM's are welcome, I also searched through many of the past threads on this forum and found some help, any insight would be great, thanks!

Heard black ant fly patterns are good for grayling in the streams.

Gotcha, While I do have a fly rod I could bring I really prefer to use a spinning gear when I can. But if the fly rod is the way to go I will bring it.

Thanks for the tip

Not that I've ever fished in Barrow, but I've yet to find a grayling that didn't like a small vibrax spinner.

small black Mepps or rooster tails work very well also.

Is grayling the only fish around this time of year up there?

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Lived in Barrow for quite a time.

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm...

There is not really any fishing at or near Barrow that time of year.

Occasionally when the locals were catching salmon, in nets, in the inlet near Point Barrow I would catch a few salmon on rod and reel. I would watch the nets and when I saw that there were salmon in them I would cast near the net. Now keep in mind that if the folks don't know you they may fuss about you doing that. Did catch a few silvers doing that. It was really hit or miss, mostly miss,

Unless you talk a local into taking you by boat to some of the fish camp access to any stream fishing is difficult. Also it would be a several day to a week trip.

Even flying to one of the villages is not going to be too productive.

Thanks for the tips, not a spoiler at all, glad to have some real info. Just looking for something to do to pass the time, I try to fish wherever work sends me. I am flying through Anchorage so maybe I will stay an extra day there and hookup with someone.

I will make sure to post back to this thread after I go as well so I can add any tips for others who may be headed that way.

Well, I am here! Just got done filleting a chum salmon. Rode down to the point when they pull nets about 8pm and made a friend with an older guy who wanted a little help. Had a blast and helped him pick about 8 chums from his net and he gave me a couple for dinner. I did see locals casting around the nets with big spinners and I tried for an hour with no luck. The net was pretty awesome though, and the people are great, and This is just my first 3 days... What a place this is already...