Thread: Mushy Shrimp

Default Mushy Shrimp

Anyone else catching soft mushy Shrimp in the sound? Noticed that some shrimp from last year were mushy and thought I had a problem with freezing them, ate some fresh ones on the boat last weekend and 8-10 out of 30 were mushy. Doesn't seem toatter where they were caught as fishing new territory this year vs last.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

you might be eating some of the transformers before they change teams and become eggers

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I figured that or they had just got rid of their eggs.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Grilled about 60 last night and nobody complained of mushy shrimp.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

One way they get mushy is if they die and release their enzymes into their shells... They have very strong enzymes that can be best avoided in several ways:

1. Pop their heads out on the boat and rinse their tails in cold seawater in a mesh bag over the side, and then tails in (better) or on ice (not as good).

2. Enzymes can be kept inactive by cold... so you can layer the whole shrimp in shaved or chunk ice.

3. Enzymes can be "inactivated" by heat..... boil whole as soon as possible, best when they are still alive. We often pop the heads while live and then boil in seawater, and stop the cooking by plunging the cooked tails in cold fresh seawater.

Interesting, we keep them in a bucket alive for an hour or so swapping the water every 15-20 minutes. Head them, rinse them and put them on ice in a yeti full of glacier ice. Darn near frozen in a couple of hours. Been doing it the same way for a couple of years and never had mushy ones before. Guess we step it up a notch next year and see if we can get rid of the mush.

[QUOTE=JR2;1569301]Interesting, we keep them in a bucket alive for an hour or so swapping the water every 15-20 minutes. Head them, rinse them and put them on ice in a yeti full of glacier ice. Darn near frozen in a couple of hours. Been doing it the same way for a couple of years and never had mushy ones before. Guess we step it up a notch next year and see if we can get rid of the mush.[/QUOTE

I always let them puke out in saltwater, popped the heads, bagged the tails and then buried the bags in ice.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

[QUOTE=potbuilder;1569466]
    Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Interesting, we keep them in a bucket alive for an hour or so swapping the water every 15-20 minutes. Head them, rinse them and put them on ice in a yeti full of glacier ice. Darn near frozen in a couple of hours. Been doing it the same way for a couple of years and never had mushy ones before. Guess we step it up a notch next year and see if we can get rid of the mush.[/QUOTE

I always let them puke out in saltwater, popped the heads, bagged the tails and then buried the bags in ice.
    You and me both.. That's why I am mystified by the mushy ones.

JR2,
    Hang one of Steve's mesh bag over the side of the boat with your shrimp in it, they purge in the salt water. Its much cleaner and they don't get beat up or die due to suffocation on the bottom of the bucket.
    No mushy shrimp yet using this method.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    JR2,
    Hang one of Steve's mesh bag over the side of the boat with your shrimp in it, they purge in the salt water. Its much cleaner and they don't get beat up or die due to suffocation on the bottom of the bucket.
    No mushy shrimp yet using this method.
    Bk
    Now that I am working again I am planning so upgrades to my shrimp operation.

ED andy bag4.jpgone of my multi use rope totes, thanks for the picture Blood Sport Andy.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

[QUOTE=JR2;1569481]
    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    You and me both.. That's why I am mystified by the mushy ones.
    like i said before you got some transformers or spawned out girls.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

[QUOTE=potbuilder;1569521]
    Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post

like i said before you got some transformers or spawned out girls.
    This makes sense to me. We'd occasionally get some mushy ones back years ago when I used to shrimp in the Sound and could never figure it out since I always headed and rinsed then iced them down right away. Sure wish I could find some shrimp out of Seward!

Fish Witch I'd think there would be plenty of shrimp in some of the bays west of Aialik Cape all the way down to Nuka Passage, anyone ever try these areas? I can see a number of places I'd like to try.

I've only gotten a couple mushy shrimp in the Sound and those have been late season, just assumed it was while they were transforming. Someone has had to do a study about what happens to the shrimp while they change.

Quote Originally Posted by yanert View Post
    Fish Witch I'd think there would be plenty of shrimp in some of the bays west of Aialik Cape all the way down to Nuka Passage, anyone ever try these areas? I can see a number of places I'd like to try.
    Yanert - I went prospecting in Aialik for a few days last year and nothing! Not one shrimp for multiple pulls. I had a friend tell me probably 35 years ago shrimp were falling out the openings they were so full somewhere in Aialik so hoped I'd find some, but not to be. I'll have to try further west this year. Anyone else have any tips for Seward area? I'd love to get some shrimp and a trip out west would be fun if I could find some.

A couple of years ago we set pots back in Harris bay and got some shrimp, nothing like the sound though. 5-10 shrimp a pot at best. Barely filled a gallon bag with tails in 3 days. We were focused more on halibut though so weren't checking the pots very often at all.

Prospected around McCarty Fiord and Nuka last year for couple days. Think I got six shrimp outa 4 pots.

I shrimped Aialik last year for 4 days. 5 pots. Pulled 2 times first day, then 1 time each day. same topography as I would fish PWS. 3 shrimp. Three total. 300 foot to 800 foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I shrimped Aialik last year for 4 days. 5 pots. Pulled 2 times first day, then 1 time each day. same topography as I would fish PWS. 3 shrimp. Three total. 300 foot to 800 foot.
    Heck I have done that in a few places in PWS... Just FYI there are no shrimp at the South end of Bambridge Passage, its also a terrible place to have your puller break and have to pull 900 ft of line and pots up by hand in 4 ft seas.