Thread: Anyone use a LeeLock on the their TM?

Default Anyone use a LeeLock on the their TM?

Saw this trolling motor skeg in Fish Alaska today. www.leelock.com

Anyone use one? I run a TM for casting, not trolling, but added control is always a good thing. Is it legit or BS?

Heck, how many guys use TMs in the first place?

I don't see how it wouldn't help man, but maybe able to get the guys at Highmark to make one for ya local.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Well on a drift, I'll turn my big motor left or right to cant the boat down the drift if I'm not using the paddles. Just the rudder effect. Additional rudder effect off the bow could really position the boat. And then if TM input were more acute at lower power settings, that's good for obvious reasons. I'm just curious if it actually works or it's just a whale tail for a TM.

I also see it adding a few inches when I'm already tangling with kelp and sand as it is now. Just interesting.

It's legit, dude... and then some!

BTW that's my boat in the article.

If you want a thread full of pearls on getting set up....

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...729&highlight=
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I might give it a shot. I run a 101 Riptide on a 20' Ranger bay. It'll run my boat at 3.2 over flat dead water, and it's got the power, but I like the rudder idea of just letting it sit in conjunction with my Power Pole paddles in the back. Basically do a crabbed drift with zero-to-little power.

As for your accidental deploys, I've been fortunate that in almost 10 years of a Terrova/Riptide, I've never had that! But my rule is the light must always go out, and I use a RAM mount to secure the TM head to the boat while running.

The LeeLock website said the skeg fits 20 volt Minn Kota motors. I have a 36 volt Ulterra so I called and left a message. Got a call back a couple days later and you need longer clamps for the 36 volt. They are out of the skegs but will do another run in a couple of weeks, I ordered one.

I'm running a Koffler Bay Bee with a 15 hp kicker.

Thanks.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Nice install. Thanks for the pics.

Default This one's MINE....

Happy Father's Day to me! WOO HOO!

Unboxed it earlier today (um... that would officially be yesterday now) and promptly got busy installing the new RipTide Ulterra on my barge.

Happy to say the footprint for the drill holes was IDENTICAL to my old standard RipTide 80. The hardware supplied included some BIG soft washers to help spread the load and reduce direct impact stress on the thru-bolts from bouncing around in the waves. The thru-bolts were a bit long at 2" so I picked up some shorter ones at my local Dennis Company.

My only disappointment was that my new Ulterra wasn't quite plug and play, so I'll miss out on the opportunity for a test run this weekend. The 3-prong connecting plug I had installed for the old unit was NOT part of the package for the new unit. Tried to find one locally, but no dice, so I've got one on order. Official sea trials will have to wait til next weekend.

My oversized LeeLock skeg arrived a couple days ago, so it was ready to go on. Installation was an absolute breeze! Eric literally took all the guesswork out of the process. His custom-fitted skeg was TOTALLY plug and play for the Ulterra... clamps sized to perfection and neatly finished with white wraps for a clean professional look. Ain't she a thing of beauty?

I can't stress enough how meticulously the LeeLock skeg was designed specifically for this application. The fit and finish are outstanding! The clever white wraps on the clamps add not only to the aesthetics but also to the function of gripping the motor housing more securely to resist rotation... without marring the stock paint.

The precise placement of the skeg's clamp slots ensures a secure installation WITHOUT interfering at all with the fully automated stowage/deployment of the Ulterra.

Had to make one small adjustment to my FOLBE Jr to secure the shaft/head for rough seas/roads. The addition of one biscuit made it fit PERFECTLY!

Can't wait to try out all the new features!

The KeenEye MD

Those white wraps for the clamps are a class act. I hope you enjoy the Ulterra as much as I do, I fish the Mississippi and Missouri rivers where things happen fast in the current. The auto deploy and stow are a big safety feature, especially when fishing alone.

When my extended skeg arrives I'll have to modify my Popps cover. Thinking I'll cut a slot for the skeg, reinforce it and just let it stick through....

Inaugural Ulterra automated deployment...

and automated stowage...

The KeenEye MD