Thread: Wth did I do to my Honda gene??

Default Wth did I do to my Honda gene??

I'm in the sticks & I have a gene problem. Help if you know some stuff! 😀 I'm super thankful that my hughesnet is working today (it's day by day).

Anyhow, I filled the Honda 2000 & pull started it. Well, the handle slipped outta my hand & zipped back into the gene (I always tell my kids not to let this happen). Now it pulls out & recoils, but it has no tension-just sorta clicks. What the heck did I do & how do I fix it? Is this a disaster or super complicated to fix? I have a back up, but I'd like to fix it before do makes it back to camp.

When you pull on the rope there are three teeth that catch the flywheel. The
    teeth are not catching. Try tapping the recoil and see if it will fix the problem. Also spraying some oil inside the recoil may help.

Those Honda's are a ***** to get into and put back together! You would be better off letting a shop fix it.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

The recoil mech has 2 dogs that rotate out with centrifugal force and engage, my bet is they got jammed. Pull the rope about half way out and give it several quick hard jerks, I mean sharp. You are trying to dislodge the dogs and get them to engage the crank again.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

If all that fails, you CAN take it apart and fix it. It will take some time the first time, but once you see how it goes together you can replace the rope assembly in about half an hour or so. The hardest part is just gathering up the right tools. It is easier to do with a combo of specific sized ratchets, wrenches and screwdrivers of the right length, etc. It is NOT rocket science....

Basically you split the shell in half and then the electronics panel pulls out of the way and the recoil assembly is behind it. Its been a while since I had one apart so that is just off the top of my head..

I did pull a EU3000i completely apart to replace the crankshaft seal. It is sitting on my bench in 1000 pieces and I haven't got a clue how to put it back together since it's been so long on the bench! Doohhhh!!

If you keep your Hughes Net working and get on you tube, there is a video about tearing your generator down to the recoil starter. This was to replace the broken cord. That looks like a worse case scenario, hopefully the tips already mentioned will work. Looks like a pain to tear down.

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WAuEW8decY

Good luck
    Mark

My update.... YouTube won't work here. But, I left it alone for the night (awaiting answers) and the gene fairy must've come- because it work fine by the following day. What the heck??? It tensioned itself back by leaving it sit. LOVE it when things just work out. So glad to not have to sweat it for a month til my husband makes it back to camp....

Good to hear it working. Personally I would spray a little oil inside the recoil to keep thing working.