Thread: Hunting gear for Fairbanks

Default Hunting gear for Fairbanks

So, maybe this should go in the gear section but since it is specifically for hunting I wanted to post it here. I'm down here in SE Alaska, we hunt in waterproof pants, rubber boot/XtraTufs, and mostly thicker waterproof layers. But for hunting up in Fairbanks what gear should I be looking to change out? from what a couple of people I've been talking to have said rain isn't really a concern, so would I be better off ditching all my rain gear down here and buying new gear up there? Or should I bring it and try to get some other gear once we I'm up there the end of the month?

what are you hunting for? when do you plan on hunting? and what are you hunting from?(mode of transportation) and how long will you be hunting?
    Knowing the answer to these questions could better get answers to your question.

It rains in the interior in the fall. Last moose season it rained 10 days of the 14 I was in the field. The first five days flooded the camp site. Anyone that has told you it doesn't rain much in the interior is lying to you. Granted, its not SE, but it still rains, especially in the fall, and the grass it tall, so you will be wet from the knees down often.

If I am boat hunting I wear breathable waist high waders and my Korker boots with hiking soles.

If road hunting there is a 100% likely hood that I will end up crossing a swamp of some kind so I typically wear my LaCrosse alpha knee boots.

It can get hot in the afternoons and real chilly in the mornings so dress in layers. Lots of thin fleece. Outer layers that handle brush well. Dull colors.

isnarewolves, too answer your questions I'm not 100% sure. I would really like to go for moose and caribou, but as far as where, the local Fairbanks area for Moose and hunting the 40 Mile herd for Caribou. I'll be driving and hiking unless I can makes some friends with boats. As far as length of time, lots of weekend hunts, plus maybe a week long trip. I'm not sure about the hunting up there, so I'm not 100% sure what I will be doing.

AK Ray, ok, sounds good. So keep my waterproof stuff! Thanks guys, that was what I was looking for so I'll probably keep as much of my gear as possible and only get rod of what I have to, thanks!

AK Ray is right on. always have rain gear. if you don't have to pack your gear. more gear is better. it's nice being comfortable.
    Not a big fan of gor-tex to noisy.
    I don't have a lot of money to spend on the new high-speed clothing that is on the market(it's not cheap). but I do like a good rubber knee boot or hip boot. (not plastic). frog togs for a packable rain gear. polly-pees, jeans, down jacket, handy man gloves, socking cap (for mornings) light jacket and flannel shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by isnarewolves View Post
    AK Ray is right on. always have rain gear. if you don't have to pack your gear. more gear is better. it's nice being comfortable.
    Not a big fan of gor-tex to noisy.
    I don't have a lot of money to spend on the new high-speed clothing that is on the market(it's not cheap). but I do like a good rubber knee boot or hip boot. (not plastic). frog togs for a packable rain gear. polly-pees, jeans, down jacket, handy man gloves, socking cap (for mornings) light jacket and flannel shirts.
    Do you really think Gore Tex raingear is noisier than Frogg Toggs?? I don't care for gore tex, as it loses most of its' waterproofing abilities when it gets dirty, but Frogg Toggs are extremely noisy.

Right now I've got mostly Gamehide gear, 2 pairs of pants and a waterproof Rubber waterfowl coat. Then I've got a lot of layering stuff, 2 military surplus green wool shirts, down vest, UnderArmour cold gear 1/4 zip.......I do need new rubber boots as mine just started leaking again Saturday when I took the kids fishing. I do have a pair of Woolrich waterproof pants as well. But for now that about what I've got. I always wear a ball cap hunting, and then weather dependent just layer stuff on over that, including a beanie of sorts. Thanks guys!

shoe glue works for leaky boots! no need to buy new ones!

I find that I use a lot of my "Juneau" gear up here in Fairbanks, lots of hunts in Xtra Tuffs. when you moving up? I would suggest trying to get your Bow Cert opens up a lot of stuff for shorter hunts. (I've found Fairbanks has more long trip options but less go out for the day options when it comes to hunting and I assume you'll be short on leave to start out). I would look into getting a really warm winter coat and some bibs, winter hunts are available but need something extra to keep you warm!

These have been glued, a lot. The traction has pretty much worn 100% off. Nice! I'm moving up the end of the month. We get on the ferry to Haines on June 30th and drive up, arriving the afternoon/evening of July 1st. I did get my Bow Cert in September, so that is good and I just got a new (to me) bow so I'm going to get it tuned up and start shooting again. I got 7 out of the 8 in the kill zone, pretty impressed since I practiced for only a week with someone else's bow after not shooting for a decade! Thanks AKducks! I'll definitely look into that, I don't have many good winter coats, at all.