Thread: Magna-porting

Default Magna-porting

Hey guys,

I have a Weatherby .375 H&H I am interested in Magna-Porting. Can anyone give me a referral on a reputable place to take it in the Wasilla/Anchorage area. I had one done by Gary Junk in Fairbanks about 10 years ago but I heard he retired. Any and all advice is much appreciated as always.

Thanks

Magnaporting is done by Magnaport in Michigan. All other porting is something else. No reflection on anyone on the railbelt who ports barrels, because I haven't tried them. But I've been burned bad (ruined two barrels or poor performance on others) by "alternatives" to Magnaport, and refuse to go to anyone else now. I have half a dozen guns ported by Magnaport themselves, and they're reason enough to go right back to Magnaport for the next.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

As Brownbear said, Mag Na Porting is done by Mag Na Port and no one else. There are many who will take a drill bit to your barrel and drill holes in it. Bad idea. If you must have a brake, many alternatives are available, and most well known brakes work very well. I would recommend a brake that threads on your barrel, which, if not needed, can be removed, and does not effectively reduce barrel length. Drilling holes directly into your barrel is not removeable, and reduces the effective length of the barrel, and runs a high risk of destroying the crown. Again, BAD idea. Mag Na Port is the ONLY way to put holes in your barrel without much risk. Nice folks to deal with, too.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I was one of the unfortunate ones to send a custom 98 mauser to an Iowa gunsmith who claimed he could give me anything that Magnaport Inc could. Well he took a MOA 338-06 did his hole drilling(looked good anyway) and turned it into a 3 MOA gun and I lost 100fps.

I never let anyone put holes of any kind in a barrel again including Magnaport. However if BB and gunbugs give them props then that clears up any unwarranted(uneducated) doubt that I had in regards to Magnaport......good to know!

I too believe in mag-na-port,don't know of anything equal to it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I was one of the unfortunate ones to send a custom 98 mauser to an Iowa gunsmith who claimed he could give me anything that Magnaport Inc could. Well he took a MOA 338-06 did his hole drilling(looked good anyway) and turned it into a 3 MOA gun and I lost 100fps.
    Knock on wood, I haven't yet suffered any loss of accuracy from Magnaporting. In fact, my 8 3/8" Smith 629 seems more accurate, or at least I find it easier to hit with out at 100 yards than before Magnaporting.

I have (make that HAD) a Ruger #1 in 338 that I eventually Magnaported after experiences doing the same with my #1 Tropical in 375 H&H. As with the 375, that's now the only 338 I've ever shot that allowed me to see bullet impact through the scope, the muzzle jump was so greatly reduced. It was startlingly accurate out beyond 300, which was its intended role in life. Still is, according to my son-in-law who found a way to fit it in his suitcase.

My 4" 629 is the best example though. Without the Magnaporting it was impossible to shoot fast and accurate in double action. After Magnaporting it's recoil is less than my 7 1/2" Redhawk, which does a nice job of taming recoil in the first place. The "little" 629 is my favorite carry gun and gets lots of shooting. It's so accurate, it's probably accounted for more bunny heads than any other gun I own. And we're talking a lot of bunny heads here!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Well shoot, I was hoping to drop it off to someone locally for convenience. I guess I will have to contact mag-na-port since they are so highly regarded. I don't want a brake due to the fact the barrel is already 24" and this is my guide rifle. If anything I'd be interested in shortening it. Thanks for the help guys I really respect your opinions.

Been a while since I sent one off, but best I recall it was only a couple of weeks round trip at that time.
    Merle Haggard

To those that have had their rifles and pistols magna-ported, how would you rate the increase in sound. I only have experience with a muzzle break on the end of a 338 wm, and I will never do that again. I use hearing protection while practicing not hunting.

As with anything that has holes in the barrel, the apparent noise will be directed in a direction other than away from the shooter. Not really "louder", just that the muzzle blast is sent in a new direction. Plus it is more likely the sound will be reflected off of surrounding objects, even heavy brush can be a nuisance with a brake. In a non ported barrel, all the noise is directed out the muzzle, away from the shooter, thus, less apparent noise.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    As with anything that has holes in the barrel, the apparent noise will be directed in a direction other than away from the shooter. Not really "louder", just that the muzzle blast is sent in a new direction. Plus it is more likely the sound will be reflected off of surrounding objects, even heavy brush can be a nuisance with a brake. In a non ported barrel, all the noise is directed out the muzzle, away from the shooter, thus, less apparent noise.
    Gunbugs:

Do brakes change the pitch or frequency of the sound?

I've always believed it does, and also, different barrel lengths would too. BUT, I have no evidence that it does.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Mag-na-port sends the noise mostly up. If you bench has a roof you notice it much more. JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I sent a Browning TI in 325 WSM to get Magnaported as well as chopped down from a 23" barrel to an 18" barrel. I did shoot about a dozen rounds before I had it cut down, but I wear hearing protection always at the range I honestly can't say its that much louder or muzzle blast....rifles are just loud IMO.

Here is the only pic I have the rifle that you can see the magnaporting on it and you can only see one of the 4 ports:

It shot great before and after the porting as far as I can tell the porting or chopping back the barrel 5" did not effect accuracy at all, just lost roughly 25 fps per inch of barrel I cut off so roughly 125 fps.

I also had a both my and my wife's Kimber Montanas "ported" by Derrick Moffitt at Last Frontier Guns in the Butte. Have had him do a number of jobs for me with always great results. I haven't shot my .308 yet as I just got it back 2 weeks ago, but my wife's acutally seems to shoot better, though that could be because the less recoil. But it shoots federal fusions less than an inch in 3 shot groups everytime with her at the helm.

She had no trouble taking a 9'+ brown bear with it this spring with a single shot from her .308 win.

Here is a pic of the porting job Last Frontier Derrick did:

Knowing what I know now I wouldn't bother with sending any more rifles off to Magnaport and would just have it done locally at Last Frontier Guns.

Awesome Luke......thanks a bunch for the detailed write up. That's exactly what I was looking for! I knew there had to be someone reputable locally to accomplish this. I definitely trust your feedback, so looks like I'll be giving Derrick a call. Like I said in the original post I had a 300 WSM done by Gary Junk and couldn't have been happier with the results. I need to tame that .375 H&H a little! Thanks Again.

Magnaport has been around for a long time and no porting business has a better reputation. Years ago I had a Ruger .338 and a 6" S&W Mod. 29 Magnaported and was very happy with the results. It does not create extra noise like most breaks and reduces muzzle jump. My estimate is the process gave about a 20% decrease in felt recoil at best, but really helped with muzzle jump..

I plan on having my 4" S&W Mountain Gun and Marlin 45-70 Magnaported as the 1895 stock design seems to promote muzzle jump, especially with heavy loads.

I am not a fan of muzzle breaks due to the horrible noise they create. Magnaporting on rifles and hand guns does not hurt my ears like other processes and neither does the Vang Comp shot gun porting process. I don't think it is my imagination.

The one thing to understand about "Swiss Cheesing" any barrel is that it also has to be back bored to a depth of the extent of the holes in the bore. when that is done, you actually create a new crown at the end of the back boring. You have to be aware of a couple of things. First the back bore has got to be based on the actual bore of the barrel and not indicated off of the exterior of the barrel. The diameter of the back bore has got to be enough and not too much for the diameter of the bullet. Some years ago, Marlin was drilling holes in the muzzle area of their Model 95's. They did not back bore the porting and those guns were known to shave bullets. I was at Birchwood when a guy down the line actually got hit with a shaving. Later on I saw that they took care of this problem. Bye the bye, I also use Moffitt's for my machine work. They have never let me down.
    Just some thoughts.
    Craig