Thread: Fish for the future

Default Fish for the Future

Check it out!

http://www.fishforthefuture.net/

And WOW! What a spectacular banner photo on the home-page
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Thanks, Doc. I checked it out. Nice site, good concept. But if you want to promote ethical, LEGAL hook and release of kings, don't allow, and then post, photos of fish that are completely removed from the water! AARRGGHHH!!

For sure... we don't want any Kenai Kasilof kings released like the Aleknagik video you posted yesterday!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Nice site, although I wonder how responsible it is to promote taking pictures and measuring fish before releasing, then suggesting that present day catch and release practices could keep mortality as low as 1% - 6 times lower than our limited data suggests. Hero shots on Facebook don't exactly help the fish spawn...

Also, couldn't help but notice that, while they listed many different species which have been conserved by catch and release fishing, few of them are species primarily caught during the end stages of their life when mortality is already a given and fecundity is all that matters. Ok, I'm done dogging it. Respectable effort, awesome photos, and I hope the site is a success.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Nice site, although I wonder how responsible it is to promote taking pictures and measuring fish before releasing, then suggesting that present day catch and release practices could keep mortality as low as 1% - 6 times lower than our limited data suggests. Hero shots on Facebook don't exactly help the fish spawn...

Also, couldn't help but notice that, while they listed many different species which have been conserved by catch and release fishing, few of them are species primarily caught during the end stages of their life when mortality is already a given and fecundity is all that matters. Ok, I'm done dogging it. Respectable effort, awesome photos, and I hope the site is a success.
    Giving people an incentive to release their catch rather than killing it results in fewer fish being killed than if retention is allowed. Hook and release sport fisheries give the Department a convenient out, since they can make the case that they have not closed sport fishing. In many areas of Cook Inlet, when sport fishing is closed for conservation reasons, this causes restrictions and complete shut downs of commercial fisheries as well. As long as sport fishing is allowed to remain open, commercial fishing on same stocks stays open too. So in that regard, hook and release fishing can certainly cause much higher mortality of stocks than a complete closure would.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Giving people an incentive to release their catch rather than killing it results in fewer fish being killed than if retention is allowed. Hook and release sport fisheries give the Department a convenient out, since they can make the case that they have not closed sport fishing. In many areas of Cook Inlet, when sport fishing is closed for conservation reasons, this causes restrictions and complete shut downs of commercial fisheries as well. As long as sport fishing is allowed to remain open, commercial fishing on same stocks stays open too. So in that regard, hook and release fishing can certainly cause much higher mortality of stocks than a complete closure would.
    I think C&R provides lower impact access to a resource we might otherwise not have access to. It is an effective conservation tool. I might go fishing tomorrow. If I'm successful, I may or may not kill my catch. I'm thankful the choice is mine when the resource can support it. I'd hate to see king fishing go the way of rainbow or steelhead fishing, where C&R only on healthy populations is common.

I watched the video on how NOT to release a King. Thanks for posting. Most people aren't that irresponsible, but it's a perfect example of why stating a mere 1% negative effect is a little bold.

Your theories on causation are interesting. I guess one could follow that rabbit trail to the conclusion that the "conservation" lobbying groups who championed these paired restrictions are anything but.

Saw this pic on the FFTF FB page. What a beauty.

I have no problem with any angler releasing this fish (although I doubt it stayed in the water the entire time it was wrestled from the boat to the bank and likely measured while multiple pics were taken), but I do have a problem with celebrating it as conservation while suggesting a 1% associated mortality rate.

Nice fish though. Glad to see it.

Anyone got a link to the video mentioned twice above about how NOT to release a king?

Hog!!! Good to see. And whatever that fish's chances are to spawn, they are way better than theyd be if he had gotten the wood shampoo or dropped out of a gillnet.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Saw this pic on the FFTF FB page. What a beauty.

I have no problem with any angler releasing this fish (although I doubt it stayed in the water the entire time it was wrestled from the boat to the bank and likely measured while multiple pics were taken), but I do have a problem with celebrating it as conservation while suggesting a 1% associated mortality rate.

Nice fish though. Glad to see it.
    Good to see at least there is still at least one hog left. Here's hoping that after that it'll still make more like it......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    Anyone got a link to the video mentioned twice above about how NOT to release a king?
    It's in this thread... along with some helpful tips toward the end of the discussion on how to do it better.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...elease-a-king?
    The KeenEye MD

I witnessed one of the oldest guides on the kenai pick up the complete weight of a smaller hen by the tail, then hand it to the client for that hero pic. By the way the guide has the second to lowest guide # possible. I was quite disappointed.

Not a king, but heres another great fish handling video. Watch as she releases the now dead fish.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdrufVjx6-Q

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    Not a king, but heres another great fish handling video. Watch as she releases the now dead fish.
    She kneels on the fish and then is so surprised when the fish "spawns" on her. Isn't she special...???!!!

wow are you kidding me????????? Ignorance is bliss..........I guess...........

This makes me absolutely sick. Seems like maybe there needs to be a fishing class, similar to hunter safety, before people can purchase a fishing license. Not to mention, it would be a great way for the state to make some extra money for the department of fish and game.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    This makes me absolutely sick. Seems like maybe there needs to be a fishing class, similar to hunter safety, before people can purchase a fishing license. Not to mention, it would be a great way for the state to make some extra money for the department of fish and game.
    Definitely,
    Just a 5-10 minute class, or even video you need to watch is all it would need to be.
    Id like to see AKF&G get ahold of this and see what they think.

Definitely,
    Just a 5-10 minute class, or even video you need to watch is all it would need to be.
    Id like to see AKF&G get ahold of this and see what they think.
    Im pretty sure at least one person from ADF&G has seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Im pretty sure at least one person from ADF&G has seen it.
    But she's so very feminine how could they just not look the other way...???!!!