Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Copper River Dipnetting Reports

Default 2016 Copper River Dipnetting Reports

Starting a new thread for 2016 fishing reports. Heard second hand reports of a slow subsistence opening above the bridge.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Very up-and-down... Friday's drifts we got 1 or 2 adrift with about 3 or 4 drifts with zero went that way over and over..
    Saturday's drifts we got fish almost every drift... with 5 a couple drifts .. until it started to slow down we also got a couple doubles

Some people did really good some people not so good

I went by the bathrooms tonight... the closed sign was down... there are trash barrels outside... my Neighbors in the campground said drifting with the boat was really slow today.... they were lucky and got 2 Kings. ..one nice one.. speaking of Kings 15 20 years ago it was common to catch a 45 to 55 pound King.... we have just about selecting them out of the pool... now they are extremely rare... I told my friends in the bulbs out if I caught a 45 or bigger King I was throwing it back... they thought I was crazy... maybe I am but it's a good crazy... good luck everybody and be safe

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Francis View Post
    I went by the bathrooms tonight... the closed sign was down... there are trash barrels outside... my Neighbors in the campground said drifting with the boat was really slow today.... they were lucky and got 2 Kings. ..one nice one.. speaking of Kings 15 20 years ago it was common to catch a 45 to 55 pound King.... we have just about selecting them out of the pool... now they are extremely rare... I told my friends in the bulbs out if I caught a 45 or bigger King I was throwing it back... they thought I was crazy... maybe I am but it's a good crazy... good luck everybody and be safe
    Thanks for report. I'll be there Thursday Thur Sunday. Sounds like long days on the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Personal use has been open for about an hour.... I was watching them from the bridge McCarthy Bridge... pretty slow... the island next to the channel had about 20 vehicles on it... it was between 75 100 people dipping.... or rather sweeping... so maybe 20 fish being caught... alot of people have quit by now

I got there Friday night around 10:30 and fished from the beach above all the fish wheels until around 4am. 3 fish....only 1 boat stayed in the water at that time, the rest were saving gas I guess. Saturday around noon we went back out, stayed until 2 in the morning, when the fish just stopped. Ended up catching another 14 reds and surprisingly 2 kings. So about a fish an hour....... One king was the size of a nice fat red, nothing to get excited about. The other king was 25 lbs or so, meh. Heard fellas ranting and raving in the campground about getting the hell out of there, lol.

The Kotsina braid right next to the north side of the bridge is still there. I got my truck across it the first night, but had a little scare coming back across. Used my wheeler only after that. Its getting wallowed out by vehicles and wheelers slamming through, if the water rises much more it may become a problem. There is now a second strong braid just past that near the gravel piles, that one is fast and pushed my wheeler downstream a bit before I got across, that will also get scary after the level rises a few inches more.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Been here since Friday got 47 reds one King

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

AkMike 30. ..nice king ...is that a 6 foot or a 8 foot table... I'm really surprised how few people post on here... you would think people quit going to chitina. .. I think I'm going on my second trip probably Tuesday I have to be back by Friday...

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Francis View Post
    AkMike 30. ..nice king ...is that a 6 foot or a 8 foot table... I'm really surprised how few people post on here... you would think people quit going to chitina. .. I think I'm going on my second trip probably Tuesday I have to be back by Friday...
    It's 5 foot from sportmans nothing special works good. We end up with 2 kings. Say lost a kings caught. Here a pic of the second one

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Been here since Friday got 47 reds one King

On the 5 foot table that must be about A4 foot king...
    Bet she had some nice eggs...are you done or are you going again?

Sorry it's a 4 foot table. Yes she had bunch of eggs.

Thinking about heading that way with my Aluminum to give it a try. Can it be done with a propped motor? I don't have a jet unit.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Yep I did all weekend with prop. I launched right were the pic was taken. The only time your going touch bottom is when you come back to shore if you have a prop that is already dinged then run that one.

What size is your boat and motor? I was thinking about using my 16 foot aluminum with a 20hp Johnson to ferry me to a different spot on the bank to dipnet.

Yep I did all weekend with prop. I launched right were the pic was taken. The only time your going touch bottom is when you come back to shore if you have a prop that is already dinged then run that one.

Done it once and never again. There are shoals near gravel bars all across the river. It only takes one mistake to take your life on the Copper.

I would never run a prop on that river, not worth the risk. Others might feel more comfortable with it, but like Tony said, one touch and you could be at the mercy of the river. We are headed that way on the 26th. Looking forward to feeling that bump!

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Done it once and never again. There are shoals near gravel bars all across the river. It only takes one mistake to take your life on the Copper.
    +1...I've had exactly one boat ride on the Copper. Never again.

I'm comfortable with water- white water rafts, sea kayaks, sail boats, jet skis, power boats....you name it. Not only do you have gravel bars that move from place to place depending on the year...you also have debris consisting of entire trees that appear at random as they surface.

Not on the Copper. Nope and Nope.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

If your dipping up river from bridge in the fed area your fine with a prop. Even ok down river . Don't believe me book a charter there running props too. Over half the boats are run props.
    Once again bunch people who think they know something on this forum yet no real time on river doing it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast