Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting to and from remote property without a road legal vehicle

Default getting to and from remote property without a road legal vehicle

so im thinking of buying a remote property, but im concerned about the legal implications of only being able to own and drive 1 offroad vehicle. when i have to go to the store or bring my off road vehicle in for maintenance, will i be forced off the road by law enforcement and have my vehicle impounded? if i can not afford a secondary, road legal vehicle... i dont understand how im supposed to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by 98hg View Post
    so im thinking of buying a remote property, but im concerned about the legal implications of only being able to own and drive 1 offroad vehicle. when i have to go to the store or bring my off road vehicle in for maintenance, will i be forced off the road by law enforcement and have my vehicle impounded? if i can not afford a secondary, road legal vehicle... i dont understand how im supposed to do this.
    ATVs are road legal in certain areas...check with local law enforcement....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Last edited by Superx; 06-06-2016 at 10:07. Reason: added into

yea i mean fairbanks...

i am going to have sheep... and the atv would be my only vehicle to take care of them. so youre saying i may be able to get away with it if i explain my situation and once they realize it is my only vehicle and my survival basically depends on it? thats sounds good. but it would be nice to have some sort of guarantee that i wont be ****ed by the government and be down and out of my family's life savings before i do all of this.

Are you saying it would cost your family's life savings to purchase a road legal vehicle? Why not buy a road legal off road vehicle? This seems like a solution to a problem that doesnt or shouldnt exist.

no im not saying that... i meant for the land and the sheep, home, supplies etc etc. i wasnt aware that there were any road legal atv's?

i was thinking about some of the lands south west of fairbanks... i noticed on the map that there are a ton of rivers and streams on the way there. does anyone think it would even be possible to take an atv there? or would a plane or maybe even snow machine be the only viable option?

The dream of living on remote property is a nice one but it is for people that have the tools and experience to build and fix most everything themselves. It is never a low buck way of life unless all the buildings/well/shop is provided for free. What about winter and deep snows? ATV will not help much. How about when someone gets sick, you will need dependable evac. A well prepared jeep/pickup can do as much as or better than an ATV and allow road travel. Feeding sheep through the winter is a money loosing prospect. Don't want to piss on your dream but if all you can afford is a single ATV you might want to wait a bit until have all the basic equipment needed. Consider being a lodge caretaker for a taste of the life/cost of remote living.
    DENNY

Don't worry about the ATV issue.........The thundering herds of Grizzly Bears and Wolves will eat your sheep and you and your ATV, and for breakfast the next morning they will eat your house, your barns, and your barb-wire fencing. If you think that I am B.S'ing you.......I tried it with Geese and Turkeys and the only thing I got was very fat wolves, and more bears in the yard than Geese and Turkeys. (And I live in town and on the road system) But it is a small town.

Quote Originally Posted by 98hg View Post
    i was thinking about some of the lands south west of fairbanks... i noticed on the map that there are a ton of rivers and streams on the way there. does anyone think it would even be possible to take an atv there? or would a plane or maybe even snow machine be the only viable option?

There's a small percentage of trails that are summer worthy for atv's around Fairbanks. If the trails you're looking at are ridgetop they'll be ok but may be steep. If they follow a creek or river they'll more than likely be impassable.

Take the time to learn the area and you'll answer many of your own questions.

Best of luck!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

For living on remote property (off the road, not in a village) you will need at least two of the following: ATV, snowmachine, boat, or an airplane. Plus, a road legal vehicle. If you can't afford that, you shouldn't be living remote.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    For living on remote property (off the road, not in a village) you will need at least two of the following: ATV, snowmachine, boat, or an airplane. Plus, a road legal vehicle. If you can't afford that, you shouldn't be living remote.
    What he said!!!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    There's a small percentage of trails that are summer worthy for atv's around Fairbanks. If the trails you're looking at are ridgetop they'll be ok but may be steep. If they follow a creek or river they'll more than likely be impassable.
    I know someone whose cabin is off the road, a few miles up a creek (in the interior). They get there in the summer with an Argo but say it's a tough slog even with that.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I would have to agree with the NRick that if you can't afford both you can't afford living remote.
    I'm not saying you need a $13,000 side X side and a $50,000 diesel truck.
    But if a $2,500 dollar vehicle makes or breaks the deal then you are woefully unprepared!
    I'll leave it at that for now.
    Though I seriously want to know your sheep herding plans and how that's supposed to work.
    And why your risking your life and your families lives and life savings on sheep herding in Alaska.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Without commenting on whether or not you really want to go buy groceries on your ATV, given the constraints you gave you need a street-legal vehicle that can successfully navigate the trails to your property. Your options include a street legal dirt bike like the Yamaha TW200 or a small SUV like the Suzuki Samurai, or even better an old lJ10. The Samurai isn't really much bigger than a modern side-by-side

There are kits to make a light off-road vehicles street legal. There are posts on this forum about it, so it can be done in accordance with Alaska law.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    There are kits to make a light off-road vehicles street legal. There are posts on this forum about it, so it can be done in accordance with Alaska law.

This is what DPS has to say about it:

REGISTRATION
    Alaska Statute 28.10.011 requires that all motor vehicles driving “upon a highway or other public parking place” shall be registered. However, ATV’s do not comply with Federal Department of Transportation standards for tires and rims. No ATV on the market today meets federal emission standards since no manufacturer has applied for such. Therefore, they are deemed unsafe for road use and cannot be registered as motor vehicles.
    http://dps.alaska.gov/PIO/releases/r...%20Statute.pdf

Practically, this policy means that you aren't going to get DMV to newly register your ATV or UTV, even if you make the mods.

However.....

If you get it plated out of state... perhaps you can get DMV to give you Alaskan Plates up here.

Alrighty then. Can't say I disagree with DPS, just thought it was still doable. So for the OP that leaves fewer options.

It looks like his best option is stay home because as others have stated it is not going to happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast