Thread: Boat based black bear hunt

Default Boat based black bear hunt

First off, I don't post here much. I've hunted AK for deer, moose, caribou, and black bear on my own and brown bear on a horribly guided experience, but don't feel I have the experience to be giving much advice here with all the true experts that do hang out here.

My son graduates from high school next year. He loves to hunt. I made a deal with him if he got thru high school with all A's we would go on a bear hunt. My plan the entire time was to go to my spot in Manitoba. For various reasons I am rethinking the plan.

I think he would get a much more rounded and memorable experience hunting bears next May with a transporter up in Alaska. I know we are too late to draw the POW area. I've had friend hunt with Homer Ocean and I think the PWS/Kenai areas are still OTC.

I was hoping to ask here if there are any lesser known transporters you all know about that could give us good clean dry lodging with maybe some fishing during slow times. Shrimping, crab pots, good food would all be part of the deal...he's a big time nose guard so food would be a HIGH priority. Hah.

It could be just the two of us or a group of up to six depending on what I can find.

I would look into outfitters on Prince of Wales island as well.

I think you can still do Prince of Wales, but if it would be the Harvest Ticket (OTC) you would have to be guided. I could be wrong though. You'd have to check the reg book for Unit 2 on that one.

Dave with Deep Strike Adventures out of Homer does boat-based black bear hunts in the spring (at least he used to). He might do fall hunts as well. I believe he has a pretty good success rate. He offers fishing on the trip too (halibut, cod, salmon). Could be worth a call. 907-235-6094

Thank you both for the ideas. Looking at both. Any more ideas?

I definitely need a spring hunt. College will be starting in August and that won't fly.

Boat based out of Seward - http://www.alaskasurfadventure.com/hunting-trips/

Airboat on the Susitna, over bait - http://airboatfishing.com/alaska_hunting.htm
    got my blackie in 3 1/2 hours with these folks about a week ago

Heard God things about these guys. A DIY where they drop you off with all gear and a skiff. http://www.pacificmountainguides.com...-bear-hunting/

You might want to check on unsubscribed non-res tags in SE other than POW (GMU 2). There are usually left-over tags in units 1 and 3 that can be purchased OTC. There are some great over-looked areas in GMU 1 and 3.

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    You might want to check on unsubscribed non-res tags in SE other than POW (GMU 2). There are usually left-over tags in units 1 and 3 that can be purchased OTC. There are some great over-looked areas in GMU 1 and 3.
    This isn't a bad idea to check out. In those units you could possibly even have an opportunity at a "Glacier" Blackie. I wouldn't say that they're common, but they are taken every once in a while.

Glacier Black Bear.jpg