Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitos in the cabin

Default Mosquitos in the cabin

I realize that we're still looking at insulation on the walls in our cabin, but I thought I'd done a pretty good job of sealing things up against the bugs but still getting some mosquitos in here and there. I despise sleeping under a bug net!

Anyone want to share any "ah ha" moments when they finally figured out where they were getting in?

Stove Pipe?

Thanks
    Jack

We have had them come in through the stove. Also seen really small ones land on the window screen and then climb through. At home they come in with the dogs in their fur. Just opening and closing the door will let a bunch in if they are hovering there.
    I learned years ago when setting up a tent, to put the door cross way to the breeze to keep them away from the flap.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Doors are open throughout the day. Log cabin has air holes. Bugs will get in.

We sleep much better with a bug canopy over the bed.

Also, purchased a hand held tennis racket bug zapper at Walmart for $7. Works great. Becomes a bit of a sport.

Learn to sleep under a net or under the covers. Seriously, when the skeeters are bad, there is almost nothing we've found to eliminate them getting in the house. Place to check and seal: Under and around doors (seal with tape stuck to door so door can still open), bathroom vent fans, holes in window screens, woodstove, pipes and penetrations, but mostly, we think they are coming in when the doors are opened an closed all day.

Another thing that has helped us alot is to burn a pic coil or two outside at each door. Keeps them away from the doors so they arent there to come in when you open it.

WE go around with the electric tennis rackets every night just before bed and kill every one we find. My record this year is 160 in one sweep of the house.

Keep in mind that a lot of times they like to hide under couches, in closets, etc and they will come out during the night. There is nothing worse than getting a horrible night of sleep because of mosquitos.....

We use the small battery operated units that give a small squirt of bug dope every 15 min. One down stairs and one up. Her is a write up to give you an idea of what i'm talking about. It works great on the mosquitoes! Almost every cabin I've been in on the Big Su has them!
    Metered Pyrethrin Aerosol for Killing Flies
    Metered aerosols that contain natural pyrethrins are used in certain indoor areas to control flies, gnats and flying insects. A metered aerosol is one that contains a certain number of applications. With most aerosols, the mist or spray is dispensed as long as the actuator or spray button is pressed. When the actuator of a metered aerosol is pressed, only one burst of spray is dispersed from the aerosol can. To spray more than once you must release the actuator and press it again. It is in this manner that the amount of aerosol sprayed is metered or measured.
    Metered aerosols are designed to be used in metered aerosol dispensers (also known as Fly Machines by pest control services) which automatically dispense materials on regular timed basis. Original machines were made to spray once about every half hour. Aerosol cans last about 1 month at this rate.
    Advanced technology has allowed the development of dispensers which allow more flexible uses. Timers allow for sprays as often as every 5 minutes and up to 30 minutes. Photocells now allow aerosols to be sprayed in a dark room, lighted room or both. These photocells give the owner the choice of spraying only when lights are turned on, only when it is dark or fully functional 24 hours each day. This option saves product and money.
    Metered aerosols can contain insect spray or air deodorizers. The most popular aerosol dispensers are battery powered. Some models of dispensers have a small indicator light that shows the strength of the battery. Other light features also let you know when it is time to replace empty cans. This is possible because the majority of the cans hold exactly 3,000 squirts or sprays.

There have been various sizes of aerosols made in this manner over the years but the standard used the majority of the time is a can that contains about 6 ounces of product. This particular size contains 3,000 sprays per can.
    Insect Spray for Fly Control
    Purge III is a good example of metered pyrethrin aerosols. The active ingredients (Pyrethrins and a synergist) are higher than most hand-held fly sprays. Many hand-held over-the-counter fly sprays contain no more than 0.125% natural pyrethrins. Professional hand-held fly sprays usually contain 0.50% natural pyrethrins. Purge III contains 0.97% natural pyrethrins. As you can see, the amount of pyrethrins contained in Purge makes a powerful tool for use in areas where fruit flies, gnats and the common house fly or mosquitoes are an indoor problem.
    When used as directed in an aerosol dispenser, each can of fly spray can cover up to 5,000 cubic feet of space with each dispensed spray. The aerosols are designed to produce very tiny droplets of material that are light weight. This lightness allows the droplets to "float" about the area instead of merely falling to the floor as would a large drop of water. As these particles float about the room, insects flying in the area are killed. It is in this manner that certain areas of businesses or homes are kept free of flies, gnats and other indoor flying pests.
    The tiny droplets are large enough to kill flies but not large enough to pose threats to humans or pets when used as directed. Most metered pyrethrin aerosols are labeled for use in areas where food is served, as long as they are placed a certain distance away from tables in dining areas. Each brand of fly spray might contain varying amounts of pyrethrins; read and follow the labeled instructions for safe and effective use.
    When flying insects are not present the aerosol dispensers can either be turned off or the pyrethrin aerosols can be replaced with scented air fresheners or deodorizers. Modern dispensers should be powered by good, alkaline batteries due to the additional features of the machines. Cheap batteries should not be used as they usually do not allow the dispensers to work at full capacity. Cheaper batteries must also be replaced on a more frequent basis. For best overall results, choose an alkaline battery for your aerosol dispenser.

Purge III - Pyrethrin aerosol that contain 3,000 metered sprays. Can be purchased individually or in case of 12 cans.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

We have 2 sizes of Mosquitos here in AK small ones that go through the screen like SmokeRoss said and big ones that open the screen door

Most of mine seem to come in when my idiot guests can't seem to figure out how to close the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Superx View Post
    Also, purchased a hand held tennis racket bug zapper at Walmart for $7. Works great. Becomes a bit of a sport.
    We have three of those things at the cabin so the whole family can get in on the action. Great sport indeed.

We're heading out to our property near Lake Louise in a couple of weeks. Just heard from a buddy with a cabin out there that the mosquitoes are pretty bad this year. I think we'll plan on the belt and suspenders strategy and make use of most of the methods you all have shared. And I'll be sure to seal off the bottom of the weatherport, as there is daylight showing through the cracks right now.

Both AIH and Alaska Mill & Feed carry the insecticide and metered squirtters.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    Most of mine seem to come in when my idiot guests can't seem to figure out how to close the door.
    First rule of the Alaskan wilderness....ZIP UP THE FRIGGIN TENT DOOR...!!!.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    First rule of the Alaskan wilderness....ZIP UP THE FRIGGIN TENT DOOR...!!!.....lol
    They've also got a good way of comin' in on the dog.....

Oh and I've never tried it but may be worth a try.... http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/ho...mosquito-trap/
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

We also use the metered spray. Works great! And burn coils outside of th door & have a dozen bug zappers (the racket things). Kids all sleep in tents inside the cabin & I have a bug net over my bed (that I use only if really needed). Those things get in around screens, fireplace, and on pets. I bought a case of caulk & caulked the blocking really good & any penetrations into the house. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Both AIH and Alaska Mill & Feed carry the insecticide and metered squirtters.
    AIH in Anch? Valley store does not carry the metered Country Vet system.
    What exact spray are you using Music Man? Tried the fly spray last weekend and it was useless on skeeters.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

One thing that works extremely good for us when we are boating in the sound is the thermacell. While anchored up and the bugs show up if we turn the thing on they all just disappear! It doesn't stink like the coils that I have tried and I think inside a cabin would be ideal. Just a thought.

Thermacell is the only item that repels them and clears the area successfully. They avoid the ''zone'' on the porch when the thermacell is lit.
    Coils kill but do not repel, especially in an open area.
    Would like to give the Pet Countery system another try but need to get the correct can I think.
    My .02c anyway.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Thermacells are great. Wouldn't run it in my house though. I've breathed enough of those fumes while moose hunting to know that it does strange things to brain cells...or maybe that was just the late 80's coming back to haunt me.

Try Fish Creek Sales I think that they carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    AIH in Anch? Valley store does not carry the metered Country Vet system.
    What exact spray are you using Music Man? Tried the fly spray last weekend and it was useless on skeeters.
    Bk
    Anchorage AIH. The kind I get from post road is "Clean Air Purge II Flying Insect". AIH sells a different brand but is basically the same.The first thing we do upon arriving at the cabin is turn on the unit and it kills all the mosquitoes that come in in a couple of hours and from then on. The one upstairs is a fancy programmable one set to operate 10pm to 6am. Active ingredient is Pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide, technical and N-octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide.

Here's what AIH has in their online store:

http://store.aihalaska.com/index.php...ducts_id=31418

http://store.aihalaska.com/index.php...ducts_id=31420

Might be effective for outhouse flies too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast